Better than a K13 - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 2009, 6:32 pm Thread Starter

Better than a K13

Greetings,
Please do not misunderstand me , to me the gt is the ultimate bike. But I'm just wondering: can better be found ?
I'm not going to try the contour, the fjr or the pan (st) but is there room to make a substantially better sport touring bike? What would that take?
I would not know, do you have any ideas ?
I thought: let's trow the question in the group and see what reaction it spins
A.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 2009, 6:57 pm
IBR# 366

Easy. Less weight (always a good thing), fix the fueling properly, and give us a reliable final drive. OK, I know the last two are really fixes for existing problems rather than improvements, but seriously, why are we still putting up with stalling and bearing failures after 5 years?

Other than that, it's a personal preference sort of thing. Better seat, better windscreen, more adjustable ergonomics, and perhaps an iPod input, although all of those can be solved in the aftermarket.

My GT was almost perfect over 20K miles in just about 5 weeks (including my aftermarket ergonomic mods), except I still had some fueling/stumbling issues and I was paranoid enough about a final drive failure that I actually carried a spare drive in my saddlebag. That in itself is just sad.

Otherwise the bike was awesome in all weather and all road conditions. If only I could learn to trust it completely, but my direct experience just won't let me . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 2009, 6:58 pm
2 heads are better than 1

"Better" is very subjective. What I think would make it better might send other people off to by a Harley. But I have a couple of ideas -
  • ESA shocks that can be rebuilt at a reasonable cost
  • Same power and power delivery as the K1300S
  • Quick Shifter from the S
  • Color matched topcase from the factory (possibly standard equipment)
Those are what come to mind immediately.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 BMW R1200RT Polar Metallic
2008 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S Red (of course)

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 2009, 8:20 pm
Addict

I agree with what Meese and Dave.

A big improvement for future KGT or any bike is that if the bean counters were not trying to cut corners or constantly find ways to save a nickle here a dime there.

I know they claim the bike would cost 35k or some such, not sure I really believe that after the warranty cost on crappy quality and lost sales.

2008 R 1200 GS ADV
2007 K 1200 GT Graphite
98 HD Sportster 1200C [Sold] (Mistake)
Various dirt bikes in my youth.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 2009, 10:10 pm
Veteran

All the things that have been mentioned so far...yes. Also, go back to the contoured and ergo brake and clutch reservoirs.

However one thing that I have always thought that would be really cool is a more modern instrument panel. I've always thought that something futuristic and digital all around would be great. Something like a color LCD screen like you see in an airplane cockpit. Make it all touch screen and integrate a GPS, radar detector, MP3, etc. Probably just another thing to break down though.

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 2009, 10:42 am
Enthusiast

A quiet, smooth clutch when launching from a stop...

Gary
2007 K1200GT
Dark Graphite Grey
New Jersey-Don't Laugh!
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 2009, 7:19 am
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre
Greetings,
Please do not misunderstand me , to me the gt is the ultimate bike. But I'm just wondering: can better be found ?
I'm not going to try the contour, the fjr or the pan (st) but is there room to make a substantially better sport touring bike? What would that take?
I would not know, do you have any ideas ?
I thought: let's trow the question in the group and see what reaction it spins
A.
Why would you not try try other machines?

Anyway..

I briefly owned an '08 K1200GT.
Liked the idea, did not like the execution of the product.

When the Concours 14 was introduced i was very interested to see it. When I read about it I thought that they missed the mark. Even though it wins some comparrison tests in the MC Magazine scene. Complaints about too much engine heat, crappy fuel milage and range, not enough wind protection, not enough options, especially, heated grips and cruise.

Seems that Kawasaki has made some significant efforts to address weaknesses and consumer critisizms in the original design.

Just read about the new 2010 Concours.
The '10 versions has:
a larger stock windscreen
standard heated grips
engine heat management improvements
traction control
ambient temp readout
ability for rider to improve fuel milage by choosing an economy mode for engine management mapping
better storage in fairing
repositioned mirrors
and more...

All for $15,100
Sounds like a winner, all they have to do is add electronic cruise control.

PLUS

I see that Honda has brought a 700cc Sport tourer for the US market 2010.
Shaft drive, removable? hard bags (not sure if they are detachable), adjustable screen, ABS.
If they have the sense to have some gadgets available like heated grips and cruise, could be very attractive.

ALSO

There is no 2010 St1300 on the Honda Website. Maybe a retooled design for mid-year is on the way.

I owned a 1996 Honda PC 800 (Pacific Coast)
Nice running machine. No clunky shifts, no clutch judder, no fueling issues. I know, no character. Needed a few things such as Better Brakes (rear drum), ABS, electric adjustable windscreen, cruise, heated grips. If it had been equiped with those items, I might still be riding it.

Dmilan
'05RT

Last edited by DMilan; Oct 17th, 2009 at 9:34 am.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 2009, 10:07 pm
Veteran

I plan on taking a hard look at the competitor's offerings in the spring. The engine stalling issue and what I consider the complete lack of credible response by BMW has soured me on the brand.

Money isn't the issue. I paid cash for the K1300GT. I like the bike but the intermittent stalling is at least annoying and at worst dangerous.

Add to that, the "local" dealership (an hour's drive away), is closing its doors, so I'm left without reasonable maintenance support. I have two Honda/Suzuki/Yamaha dealerships within 15 minutes of my home and office. I had a deposit on a S1000RR when the dealership folded. I got my money back but was told I would be called by BMW to transfer the position to another dealership. I have even sent emails and left messages. No response from BMW.

I can't imagine how I would stay in business if I treated my customers this way. Sad.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 2009, 3:28 am
AJB

The new Honda VFR1200 seems aimed at the BMW sports touring bikes. It will be interesting to see what value for money is delivered along with what is bound to be very good performance. The small tank will put many high mileage guys off though.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 2009, 6:24 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meese
I was paranoid enough about a final drive failure that I actually carried a spare drive in my saddlebag. That in itself is just sad.
Did you need it? Did you get the final drive fluid analyzed after your Iron Butt? That would have been great to hear about.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode