Dealer installed front Power Pilot 2 not Road Pilot 2. - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 2009, 2:04 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Exclamation Dealer installed front Power Pilot 2 not Road Pilot 2.

Bike was in the shop to get front wheel replaced after a run in with a pot whole. Picked it up early Friday AM. Dummy me assumes the dealer does the correct thing. Not only was PSI off by 12 pounds, but Dave Taylor in Ft Bragg points out the front is not a road pilot 2and sure enough its a power pilot 2, different tread pattern. What came off was a road pilot 2. Whats on the back is a Road Pilot 2.

What to do?

A) Demand the dealer put the correct tire on the front, this one will have 500 miles on it before I get it back. BTW, once I got the correct pressure bike handled good.

B)The rear has about 2k on it, and assuming the power pilot front being softer will wear quicker just forget aboutit

C) B above but make a stink at the dealer and get a credit for 1/2 off the front tire when the time comes for a new one.

D) B above . Insurance has bought the last 2 front tires anyway, I'm ahead of the game in some odd way, minus the deductible of course.

2008 R 1200 GS ADV
2007 K 1200 GT Graphite
98 HD Sportster 1200C [Sold] (Mistake)
Various dirt bikes in my youth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 2009, 2:57 pm
Addict

If it was me I would just leave it. The PP2CT/PR2 combo gets a lot of good reviews. I was on the fence about which of those front tires to go with my PR2 rear. Normally you don't want to mix and match but that combo is fine.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 2009, 3:12 pm
Veteran

This is too easy.

"What does it say on the service invoice you signed?" If it was for some other tire, then the dealer will have to eat it - including mileage to make it right. If it specifies what is on your bike now, then you own it.

Then again, he could try and talk you into some special money bartering scheme which may benefit him more than you if he's been through this before like, "We'll mount and balance your next set of tires for free!" Of course a lot could happen by then too: out of business, sell to another owner, increase tire prices by selling different brand/model, loose the paperwork, sit it in the back of the shop for a month, etc.

Mack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 2009, 4:13 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Sharkbait,

The tires now have about 500 miles with half being twisty, and I really can't tell the difference, not that I'm an aggressive rider, Even in the slick conditions this AM all seemed good.

GMack,

It was an insurance claim and I never signed anything, cause they had problems making it all balance. THe invoice does state power pilot not road pilots.......

I'm thinking to poke them a bit and see how they react.

2008 R 1200 GS ADV
2007 K 1200 GT Graphite
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 2009, 5:21 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazard
Sharkbait,

The tires now have about 500 miles with half being twisty, and I really can't tell the difference, not that I'm an aggressive rider, Even in the slick conditions this AM all seemed good.

GMack,

It was an insurance claim and I never signed anything, cause they had problems making it all balance. THe invoice does state power pilot not road pilots.......

Even, if it was an insurance claim,you should have signed a repair order allowing them to work on the bike. This sounds like shame on you and them. Without a signed repair order "poking" them won't do much good. Also you stated this is not the 1st time this has happened. Do you use the same shop for all your repairs? If so how would you "poking" them do much good except piss them off? I suggest and nice calm phone call and explain the problem to the service manager and see what happens. I not just leave it alone.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 2009, 5:57 pm
Enthusiast

Pp2

Just leave it , I used to run that mix on my K1200S for a while, it works well with the sticky one on the front especially if you are not on track days etc ..
cheers Andrew ...now K1300GT
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 2009, 6:50 pm Thread Starter
Addict

No "shame on me"

When I dropped the bike off I signed a work ORDER. It stated "customer hit a pot hole and reports front wheel damaged, check rear wheel and Driveline"

Now insurance takes over and inspects bike and finds some driveline issues, authorizes repair cuts check and leaves.

I pick up the bike and am presented an INVOICE stating line items,
SIlver front wheel
Grooved bearings
Labor...

Then hand written in
120/70/17 2CT Pilot Power.

Stated very obvious. However about 8 items on the list this penciled in it did not jump out at me, and is really only 1 word here.

Other factors, I had a road pilot on the front, I have a road pilot on the back. I never asked for power pilot, so why put one, and only one on? I did not have to tell them to order a silver wheel as opposed to a black wheel? Although I did have to give them a spare valve stem as they did not order a new one of them and stripped the old one.

AS far as happening more than once, what I meant was having the tires replaced by insurance as I took out both RIMS about 4 months ago. BTW Ozzies in Chico did the repair on this first incident and did an outstanding job. I might consider and large service items and drive the 3 hours to have it done. Tri-Valley Moto is the dealer that biffed this last one.

BTW this weekend I found out this dealer botched a repair on a GS for an acquaintance of mine. Beak was installed with only 1 screw not the 6 or 8 from the factory, parts not ordered or mis-ordered and then charging him for overnight to make hist ride date. A friend of mine had his cam chain tensioner installed in a wonky fashion that caused about 3200 in damage to his bike at the main branch of this dealership.

The only reason to post here, is if anyone thinks the combo is bad for any odd reason, and an opinion on if I poked them maybe I would get a tad bit of discount on my next tire as it will wear out faster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotdirt
Even, if it was an insurance claim,you should have signed a repair order allowing them to work on the bike. This sounds like shame on you and them. Without a signed repair order "poking" them won't do much good. Also you stated this is not the 1st time this has happened. Do you use the same shop for all your repairs? If so how would you "poking" them do much good except piss them off? I suggest and nice calm phone call and explain the problem to the service manager and see what happens. I not just leave it alone.

2008 R 1200 GS ADV
2007 K 1200 GT Graphite
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 2009, 6:52 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by asquires
Just leave it , I used to run that mix on my K1200S for a while, it works well with the sticky one on the front especially if you are not on track days etc ..
cheers Andrew ...now K1300GT
Cool what I was looking for.....

2008 R 1200 GS ADV
2007 K 1200 GT Graphite
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 2009, 1:33 pm
Addict

John,

I wouldn't really worry about it... The profile is just a tad more aggressive, and the stick (when leaned) is amazing on the Powers. Those are the ones I ran at my track day, and the stick is excellent without having to put TOO much heat in them. However, just be aware they do need a little more temp in them before you get sporty...

The center compound is actually a good road (wear) compound, so you should be fine.

Enjoy them and stay the hell away from pot holes!
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 2009, 8:07 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazard
Sharkbait,

GMack,

OK maybe I read this wrong?" It was an insurance claim and I never signed anything," That IS the reply you stated to GMack. Correct? Thats why I stated you should have signed a repair order

You stated you had a pilot road 2 on the front and they replace it with a 2ct pilot power? So the dealer puts on one of the most stickiest tires Michelin makes and you are complaining about it? If you do not like the work the dealer did go to another one.

Last edited by gotdirt; Oct 22nd, 2009 at 8:17 pm.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode