Nail in tire - Patch or Pitch? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 2009, 2:56 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Nail in tire - Patch or Pitch?

About 200 miles into a new Z6 I pick up a roofing nail . I did another 200 miles with it in there, 40 miles of that at 105 mph, and it is still holding air. I'm afraid if I remove it it will go flat, the head wore off but the shank is still there just off center. My dealer won't patch due to liability reasons. I think it could be patched from the inside. A new one installed is around $300. I anticipate getting my dealer's response from other shops.

2006 GT
2002 RT sold
1985 Maxim X sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 2009, 3:59 pm
IBR# 366

See this thread.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 2009, 4:53 pm
Veteran

If you can get some one to remove the tire you night be able to get a regular tire dealer to patch it...not plug, but patch it from the inside. I did this once and had no worries. (I live in a small town and have bought lots of other tires from our local Les Schwab dealer so that helped.) The bike dealers use the "liability" scam as a way to make $$$. A good patch on the inside of the tire is 99.9% as good as new. Especially if it's centered and not on a sidewall which is harder to do.

I would NOT ride the bike with just the shank of the nail left in it though. No way. Just to the dealer at low speed and being careful...yeah, but get it fixed or swap it. Some guys will say they have ridden on a plug for the life of a tire but I don't trust plugs for more than just an emergency repair to get me to a fix.

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 2009, 5:17 pm
Veteran

I would only plug it, I wouldn't trust a patch. Others will do the opposite or recommend throwing it away. You will get too many different answers on this, many opinions. I've never had a plug come loose and I've done a lot of them, on my own stuff and when I was a car mechanic. Had one plugged in San Fran on a cycle trip, lasted back to Wisconsin and for the remainder of the tire life. If no one would plug it for me I'd buy a kit and do it yourself. Here are my favorite ones, not to stringy, not too thick:

http://www.techtirerepairs.com/Catal....aspx?itemnum= 20 & salessubgroup=MR030
They even have a KIT just for cycles, I would say this link shows what a cycle shop would buy, but just proves (in my mind) that plugging is safe for a cycle if done correctly, this manufacturer sure seems to think so too:

http://www.techtirerepairs.com/Catalog/ItemDetail.aspx?itemnum=*@#!!%%&880*@#!!%%&&saless ubgroup=MR140
(no idea why the links won't work, do a copy and paste)

"No problem is so big or so complicated that it can't be run away from"

Dark Graphite: Making bikes faster for over 40 years.

Last edited by GillyWI; Oct 23rd, 2009 at 5:29 pm.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 2009, 5:37 pm
Addict

I would plug/patch it. Then I wouldn't go over 30 mph with it. Go faster though and the worst that could happen is it deflates rapidly at highway speed and you lose control. No sweat because you ride like Valentino Rossi and will get it stopped before hitting something. Ride on.

2008 K1200GT, Custom Paint, Vivid Black, Aeroflow WS & Aeroguards, Givi E52 Maxia Topcase w/AdMore Lighting, Zumo 660, Suburban Footpeg Lowering, Sargent Seat

2009 R1200GS Adventure, Magnesium Grey/Black, Adventure Cases, Zumo 660, Touratech Unobtanium Accessories

1974 Norton Commando 850 Soon to be a restoration project
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 2009, 5:38 pm

Headed out to the rally in Luckenbach yesterday. Stayed at a friends overnight for dinner and dominoes. This morning I check the pressure in the tires and the rear doesn't move the gauge. Put her on the center stand and found that I had picked up a screw in the middle of the tire.

It is up to each rider but I have totaled a bike when the rear tire went out at speed so for me: I plugged it and came back to Dallas. I'm getting a new tire.

David J.
Dallas, TX
2006K1200GT (Heidi)
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 2009, 9:20 pm
Rookie

Hitting middle age caused me to realize I've been running on borrowed time & luck most of the way. No more long rides on a patch for me though nothing bad ever happened.

I'd replace it as soon as I could and ride extra safe until I did.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 2009, 10:54 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_W
If you can get some one to remove the tire you night be able to get a regular tire dealer to patch it...not plug, but patch it from the inside. I did this once and had no worries. (I live in a small town and have bought lots of other tires from our local Les Schwab dealer so that helped.) The bike dealers use the "liability" scam as a way to make $$$. A good patch on the inside of the tire is 99.9% as good as new. Especially if it's centered and not on a sidewall which is harder to do.

I would NOT ride the bike with just the shank of the nail left in it though. No way. Just to the dealer at low speed and being careful...yeah, but get it fixed or swap it. Some guys will say they have ridden on a plug for the life of a tire but I don't trust plugs for more than just an emergency repair to get me to a fix.
I don't think there is any liability "scam".
I make judgement calls often on car tires, repairable vs. not repairable.
If I choose to plug a tire as a professional technician, and I make a bad decision, someone could get hurt or worse. If I wouldn't plug it on my own vehicle then I won't do on anyone elses. I think it's a bad idea to plug a bike tire for more than a way to get home or someplace to replace it. I'm not taking the chance on a bike. Different on a car, no falling down and going boom.
I also don't want to end up in court being cross examined by a prosecuting attorney, shops ARE liable for bad decisions,we're supposed to know better and pass along that good advise.

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. Will Durant

2006 K 1200 R
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 2009, 11:54 pm
Addict

What's the cost of your out-of-pocket annual health insurance deductable for when you go down at 105 mph (or even less), your last thought at that moment being "This was stupid..."?

Or maybe the new tire is cheaper?

You have a high peformance machine with an unfortunate restriction on it at the moment, and no road rash on you. Get the tire replaced and drink to your good luck, good sense and good health.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 2009, 5:10 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brahma
What's the cost of your out-of-pocket annual health insurance deductable for when you go down at 105 mph (or even less), your last thought at that moment being "This was stupid..."?

Or maybe the new tire is cheaper?

You have a high peformance machine with an unfortunate restriction on it at the moment, and no road rash on you. Get the tire replaced and drink to your good luck, good sense and good health.

DITTO...and the same reason I wear a FULL face helmet...my dental work is worth it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode