That damn Yellow Triangle came on again. . . - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 2009, 3:30 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

That damn Yellow Triangle came on again. . .

I don't know why, but that brake light stuff is getting to me. Last time the Yellow Triangle came on it was the brake light. The bulbs had some number that aren't carried in the normal car parts places. I substituted it for a close single-filament (that's what both the tail-light and brake share), but then folded and got a new BMW lamp. All was well.

Then yesterday while out in the hills, the Yellow Triangle comes on again. Stepped off the bike and hit the rear brake. Nadda. No lights, and I just changed the bulbs out 2 months ago.

Stopped by the dealer and buy two more bulbs as I cannot remember if I changed both of the taillight/brake-light bulbs. Bulbs coming out looked fine, not dark and filament appears to be intact.

Installed the new ones. Turned on the ignition and the Yellow Triangle comes on again. Crap! Walk around the side and hit the foot-brake while examining the rear lamp. They, both taillight and brake light are now working. Glancing at the dash, the Yellow Triangle is gone. Guess it takes a while for the computer to shut the Yellow Triangle off. Problem solved.

When I got home, I took the ohmmeter to the two old lamps that appear good. They check out fine. Puzzling?

The only thing I can think of is that the sockets the bulbs fit into are sort of loose, okay, really loose. If the bulb looses contact, I would guess the computer throws a fault and you get a Yellow Triangle as though the bulb blew out. I may go out and pry that little spring at the bottom of the sockets up and see if the bulb(s) won't rattle around as much. Contact cleaner? Maybe the filament is broken someplace (intermittent) and wiggling it cause it to break the connection? Dunno.

Haven't plugged the GS-911 in yet to see if it stored a fault. I'm not crazy about the BMW computer shutting off both lights if one fails, you loose the whole tail-light/brake-light stuff. Shuts off the Patrol LED brake light too (maybe a suspect?), but it acted up before the Patrol LED light was added.

Little history. Original lamps in the 2006 came from Hungary and were really nicely made. Very clear glass and bright silver base. Filament support was outstanding. The auto parts stores in the U.S. are usually brass base and don't look as nice, often crooked in the base. The newest BMW bulbs came on a long cardboard tape in small attached boxes. All say Made in China (#1059) and look better than the U.S lamps (Sylvania), but no where near as nicely made as the Hungarian ones. Those Hungarian things looked like Waterford Crystal!

Mack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 2009, 9:52 pm
Addict

Gs 911?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 2009, 10:26 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brahma
Gs 911?

http://www.hex.co.za/gs911/index.html

2007 K1200GT Jet Black

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 2009, 10:32 pm
Enthusiast

Yellow triangle

Had a simular problem with my ex R1200GS turned out to be a problem with the bulb bases.That is the holder terminals on the bike.Gave them a good clean and problem fixed.Also another thing to note is,if one of the bulb filaments blows the bikes electronics compensates by varying the brilliance of the remaining filament so that you appear to have both parkers and brake light working.
good luck Andrew
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 2009, 10:44 pm
Addict

Mack,

If the GS911 doesn't show a fault, if it happens again you might want to try disconnecting the Patrol LED and see if it resets without replacing the bulbs. Lately I've been concerned about having a bulb failure without having any replacements on hand. I'll be in Stuttgart in two weeks on business trip and I'm planning on stopping in a local dealer to purchase a full set of replacement bulbs. If they happened to be the Hungarian made bulbs I can pick up a couple of extras for you if you're interested.

Whatever they cost me is all they'll cost you, plus a small handling fee, business class upgrade and a suite at a five star hotel.

Seriously, just let me know if you're interested and if they have the right bulbs I'll bring back a couple of extra.

John
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 2009, 8:33 am

I removed the hungarian lowbeam that blew out last week, had 12k miles. Replaced with sylvainia china bulb from wally world. The hungarian one did look better but only 12k miles
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 2009, 11:05 am

Sure sounds like a bad ground. Both bulbs involved and yellow triangle. (Canbus senses no current flow)

Since you have a VOM (Volt Ohm Meter), set it to DC Volts and measure voltage drop between a known good ground and the ground of the bulbs. That is the brass, silver area of which you speak. Have an assistant hit the brakes. You should have 0 volts showing on the meter. If you have any reading, you have a bad ground to the taillight assembly. Don't forget to wiggle the bulbs too since you said they seemed loose.

Other bikes I have owned have had this problem a number of times. Car light socket systems have been improved to prevent problems. Probably lawsuits!

Let us know,

jim

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode