Increased Rear Visibility with Givi Topcase - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 2009, 3:46 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Increased Rear Visibility with Givi Topcase

As a follow up to my earlier post regarding the Givi E52 Maxia topcase installation, I can now report that I have completed the installation of a rear light kit to improve visibility to following homicidal drivers.

I installed a kit from Admore Lighting (link: http://www.admorelighting.com/index....php&subpage=11)

The kit takes some work, but I can report it all goes in as advertised and IT WORKS great even with the Canbus. With this kit you get running lights, stop/brake lights and turn signals. I was particularly glad to add this as the installation of the topcase does somewhat 'shroud' the rear taillight. I was worried someone might crash into the back of me by accident. If someone hits me now its because they were trying to.

I have already covered how to install the case itself, the bracketry works fine with the BMW rear rack.

The kit from Admore Lighting took me about two hours to install. First I installed two strips of LEDS in the space behind the red reflectors, and then I installed a cable to bring power to the topcase, which requires drilling an 11/16 hole in the case and plugging it with a provided adapter. The wiring to the bike requires a 12v switched input for the running lights (which I sourced from a Centech AP1- previously installed. Then you will have to tap into the brake light wire, and the left and right turn signal wires, and a ground. All four of these can be found easily in wrapped nicely in tape at the rear of the bike, under the passenger seat just in front of the taillight assembly. Peel back the tape and screw on the included PosiTaps. Tywrap the whole thing down and dpower on and it works. Pics below. More info in request.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0076.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	1,023.3 KB
ID:	11228   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0077.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	11229  

2008 K1200GT, Custom Paint, Vivid Black, Aeroflow WS & Aeroguards, Givi E52 Maxia Topcase w/AdMore Lighting, Zumo 660, Suburban Footpeg Lowering, Sargent Seat

2009 R1200GS Adventure, Magnesium Grey/Black, Adventure Cases, Zumo 660, Touratech Unobtanium Accessories

1974 Norton Commando 850 Soon to be a restoration project
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 2009, 12:29 am
Enthusiast

Nice job! That certainly does make you more visible... Wish the stock BMW hard case came with lights...

Gary
2007 K1200GT
Dark Graphite Grey
New Jersey-Don't Laugh!
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 2009, 11:10 am Thread Starter
Addict

Admore lighting does make a generic LED kit that could be attached to the back of the BMW case, and there are other makers of LED light kits for this purpose. I strongly recommend adding some light up high as I think the license plate level is too low to grab drivers attention. A light up high that brightens with brake application is the way to go for maximum visibility, in my opinion.

2008 K1200GT, Custom Paint, Vivid Black, Aeroflow WS & Aeroguards, Givi E52 Maxia Topcase w/AdMore Lighting, Zumo 660, Suburban Footpeg Lowering, Sargent Seat

2009 R1200GS Adventure, Magnesium Grey/Black, Adventure Cases, Zumo 660, Touratech Unobtanium Accessories

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 2009, 12:50 pm

Looks like a space ship now. That is why I don't ever put an big round box on the back of my bike. It messed up the look of K series totally.

2006 K1200GT
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 2009, 1:48 pm
IBR# 366

Who the hell cares what it looks like from the back? You can't see that when riding . . .

Great job there, Larry. Anything that increases visibility is a good thing.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 2009, 2:32 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Each to his own. Fact is when I look at this bike from afar I cannot decide if I love it or hate it. It's too fat for a sportbike, too skinny for a touring barge....It looks like a pregnant streetbike to me. While I am not crazy about putting a topcase on any bike I find the storage so much more useable than side cases.I can drop in my computer bag, an extra jacket or helmet. My sidecases now get to hold semi-permanent combinations of tools, tire pump and repair kit, rain gear and cold weather gear and a few pairs of gloves for changing conditions. 52 liters of space, priceless.

If I cared about looks I'd have bought a Harley. When I was a kid I dreamed of having a bike with lots of lights, hurtling through the dark like a.....spaceship.....go figure.

For those interested in not becoming a hood ornament on the vehicle following too close the lights look just fine.

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 2009, 4:19 pm

No offense.I definitely do care about the look of my bike. Also I found that people who rides or buy the K1200GT or K1300GT mostly older or retired people. Again no spaceship look for me. Even if you pay me to put that in my bike. It is a beautiful and sexy sports touring bike. Can't stop looking at it and riding it.

2006 K1200GT
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 2009, 5:01 pm
Addict

Anyone who has done serious sport touring will tell you the side cases alone just won't cut it. If your on the road a week or two you need the space to pack clothes. How the bike looks becomes secondary for me when I'm on the road. Most often I just have the side cases on the bike, but at least once each summer I pack up the bike, clothing, tent, chair, sleeping bag, air mattress. I don't know anyway to do it without a topcase of some type. For me the solution was the BMW 51 Litre sport bag.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bmw Rally july 2009 (197).jpg
Views:	51
Size:	1.90 MB
ID:	11231  

MOA Member #106320
2003 R1150RT Titan Silver
2008 K1200GT Dark Graphite
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 2009, 5:12 pm

Good choice on BMW 51 Litre sport bag. Not too big or ugly like Givi E52 Maxia topcase.

2006 K1200GT
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 2009, 6:44 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Yeah, I had the BMW bag on my now departed K12GT, but that was before the price went through the roof. The $500 I saved on the Givi buys a LOT of: Gas, gear, beer...etc....and it has REAR TAILLIGHTS!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode