More than one way to skin a cat! - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 2009, 8:11 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

More than one way to skin a cat!

First DIY oil change. Lets just say I should have bought that filter removing pliers....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	000_1475.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	905.8 KB
ID:	11243  

"No problem is so big or so complicated that it can't be run away from"

Dark Graphite: Making bikes faster for over 40 years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 2009, 8:15 pm
Enthusiast

Well, the important thing is you got it done on your own and your learned something and you just saved yourself about $100 in labor.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 2009, 8:50 pm
Rookie

How did you reset the tell tail on the OBD?

McWideglide
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 2009, 9:05 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

07, no have got, Mr. Mickey!

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 2009, 1:23 am

GillyWI,

Been there, done that.

I even bought the "official" automotive cap type plastic filter wrench my BMW dealer recommended and said would do the job. It had a description of "Bob's Oil Filter Wrench for Can-Bus". If you find one, don't bother. It has a very narrow grip face for the filter, and I still had to remove the shifter and remove the last screw on the lower fairing on my '07 GT to get the job done. The quarter inch square hole in the center for a socket extension easily rounded out, and I am now forced to use a large half inch sized socket around the outer hex male protrusion on the cap, and the large diameter socket and extension interfers with the shifter anyways. And even though that cap is very narrow, it was the length of the front bolt on the shifter that interferred with the cap making it impossible to back out the filter and cap. After a number of oil changes, I learned that simply loosening the rear bolts and removing the front bolt's nut gave enough clearance to get them off. But this has still has been a PITA. As you probably found out, it's those rear bolts that take a long time to get off and back on.

Before my next change, I too will go to Sears and buy one of those open-ended filter wrenches to see if this improves the effort.

I would also recommend ordering a Pella 6000 oil extractor or something similar to suck the oil out of the sump under the seat instead of draining the oil out through that hose on the bike. It's a cleaner way to get the job done.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 2009, 7:05 am
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainman
GillyWI,
I would also recommend ordering a Pella 6000 oil extractor or something similar to suck the oil out of the sump under the seat instead of draining the oil out through that hose on the bike. It's a cleaner way to get the job done.
Here is my write up. I used an oil extraction tank--faster and cleaner.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 2009, 11:02 am
Veteran

Hey, at least you didn't have to pound a screw driver through the filter to get it off...or maybe you did. Yes the pliers help.

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 2009, 11:13 am
Enthusiast

Guys,

Not meaning to stir things up, but I think you are making this way more difficult than need be. For the first oil change to my 2008 GT I removed the entire black piece of plastic that attaches at the bottom of the Tupperware on the left side of the bike. This simply allowed more room to check out what I was up against. On all subsequent oil changes I've not needed to remove it.

I used a cheap ($4.99 at AutoZone) pair of oil filter pliers to remove the OEM filter put on at the factory in Berlin by aspiring bodybuilder and steroid user, Gunter. Once that was off, I was home free.

After cleaning the area I spin on the new filter and carefully snug it down by hand. I get it on there well, but not so tight that I need any pliers or special tool to remove at the next oil change. In 3,000 miles I simply use my hands to spin off the used oil filter - no fuss, no muss. And no leaks either as I keep my garage floor fairly clean.

I too, have one of those large fluid extractors (overpaid for mine at Griot's Garage) which empties the oil in the sump within minutes. Wouldn't use anything else.

My best,

David

Last edited by dpancerz; Oct 30th, 2009 at 12:28 pm.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 2009, 11:15 am

Oil Change

......Gives a new meaning to " The Long Way Around",,,,,,,,,,

kbikeinbc
07 crystal grey met kgt
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 2009, 4:44 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

LOL, yeah, more like "the long way IN".
I thought I'd be able to use the old style K Bike filter"cup" to remove it (the kind that BMW sold to get the filter out of the sump in the brick bikes). DAH, about the same diameter, but not the same shape. SO, with all that "useless junk" out of the way I was able to use a plain ol' strap oil filter wrench to get the filter off.
As dpancers says, it was way tighter than it should have been. The dealer did it though, not Gunther. I had the dealer do the "first service" on it for piece of mind, I'll do every other one now, I will alternate with the dealer. They recommend 6K oil changes though, so in 6K I will take it back to the dealer for a service. Or I could do the oil change and let them do any other crap they think it needs. I was sure to not reef the filter down so darn tight!
I wonder if a strap type oil filter remover would work if I grind some of the strap off so it fits between the side plate and the filter? I suppose I could just buy the filter "pliers" at autozone too.......

Gilly

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode