Lamp failure icon - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 2009, 12:02 am Thread Starter

Lamp failure icon

Went for a ride today and the dreaded lamp failure icon showed up again on the computer. I have had this in the past and it has meant: headlight quit working, Another time it was both parking lights out. The icon has a forward facing arrow with it. My hid low beam still works fine, As do all the other lights including brake lights. The icon appears several minutes to an hour into the ride. Shutting the bike off and back on resets the fault icon for awhile. Anything else I should look at?

Brian Ley
2007 GT
2010 650GS
2000 LT sold but not forgotten
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 2009, 1:00 pm
Enthusiast

Hey Brian,

I know this diagnostic tool costs a pretty penny but might you have access to someone with a GS-911? For a data nerd like myself it's the best $300 I've spent on non-BMW special equipment. In less time than it takes to drink a beer you can see if there are any fault codes stored in the bike's computer and alleviate much of the guess work you're going through now. And there's no need to schedule an appointment at the dealer, drop off the bike, arrange for someone to pick you up, etc....

If you lived nearby in Texas I'd tell you to get over to my house ASAP...

Best idea I have at the moment. Good luck!

David
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 2009, 1:36 pm
Addict

Just an FYI on the GS-911.

Great product. Stephen puts a lot of thought on improvements.

Most recent updates limit you to 10 bikes, then they want you to buy the commercial version. Guess it makes sense.

JH

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpancerz
Hey Brian,

I know this diagnostic tool costs a pretty penny but might you have access to someone with a GS-911? For a data nerd like myself it's the best $300 I've spent on non-BMW special equipment. In less time than it takes to drink a beer you can see if there are any fault codes stored in the bike's computer and alleviate much of the guess work you're going through now. And there's no need to schedule an appointment at the dealer, drop off the bike, arrange for someone to pick you up, etc....

If you lived nearby in Texas I'd tell you to get over to my house ASAP...

Best idea I have at the moment. Good luck!

David

2008 R 1200 GS ADV
2007 K 1200 GT Graphite
98 HD Sportster 1200C [Sold] (Mistake)
Various dirt bikes in my youth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 2009, 2:07 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazard
Most recent updates limit you to 10 bikes, then they want you to buy the commercial version.
I know about the 10 bike limit. If I ever get there, I'll pony up for the commercial version. For the moment, I really like Stephen and happily support his product over my local (excruciatingly detestable) dealer in Plano.

Regards,

David
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 2009, 2:54 pm Thread Starter

I have been debating buying a GS-911 for awhile now. I am sure I will eventually get one. Will it break down the fault to the discrepant bulb or circuit?

Brian Ley
2007 GT
2010 650GS
2000 LT sold but not forgotten
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 2009, 4:02 pm
Addict

Dpancer2: Yes GS-911 is a great product, just don't go to a tech day and let everyone use it, else if you get a new BMW you may need to get a new GS-911.

SanJaun2,

I think it will tell you which circuit is bad although it may not do it by side. Front turn, highbeam, or headlamp. I don't think it will tell you left front turn but I could be wrong.

Do you have a stock HID or aftermarket. Early software required some kind of flag set for 35watt vs 50watt. But as I remember it would shut the circuit down I get this problem every now and then its my left brake light. Every now and then I need to go re-seat it. My guess is your getting some temporary break in the circuit, at the bulb connector most likely and it triggers the fault. You could try re-seating the front turn signal/parking light bulbs and see if that helps.

2008 R 1200 GS ADV
2007 K 1200 GT Graphite
98 HD Sportster 1200C [Sold] (Mistake)
Various dirt bikes in my youth.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 2009, 4:06 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjaun2
Will it break down the fault to the discrepant bulb or circuit?
Hmmmm, I don't know how to answer this specific a question as I just got mine the other week. I'd hate to say yes and have you drop the cash only to be disappointed.

Have a look at the FAQs on the GS-911 web site:

http://www.hexcode.co.za/products/gs-911/support/faq

If this doesn't satisfy you, I'd email Stephen directly. He's a friendly enough chap and I'll bet he'll respond. [email protected]

Again, best of luck. These mysterious bike faults are the worst to troubleshoot.

David
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 2009, 11:34 pm
IBR# 366

I read somewhere recently about the bulb sockets getting a little "loose" giving the bulbs an intermittent failure. That seems like it would be an easy thing to check (front and rear), and maybe to crimp the bulb sockets a little bit tighter with a pair of pliers. At that point, you can also ohm out each bulb to see if that narrows it down.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode