BMW Motorrad Maintenance Charger - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 2009, 3:22 pm Thread Starter

BMW Motorrad Maintenance Charger

I just bought this (http://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=2678) for my K13GT. It capable of charging installed batteries through the accessory socket. I have a couple of questions for those ho might know.

I live in Canada and store the bike in a unheated shed. It can reach -40 degrees. If I leave this hooked up all winter will it keep the battery charged and not allow it to freeze?

Instructions say: "You must first turn the key on to the bike, then you plug the charger into the accessory socket, then you plug the charger into the wall for power, then you turn the key off." Do you know if I will need to go through this process throughout the winter or will it just (as above) keep running and apply a charge when needed? The dude at the parts desk seemed to think it would.

Also, (I can't seem to find this info) what type of battery does the 2009 K13GT have? FLA, AGM or GEL?

Thanks in advance for any info
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	11246  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 2009, 4:24 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by uglybuttugly
I just bought this (http://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=2678) for my K13GT. It capable of charging installed batteries through the accessory socket. I have a couple of questions for those ho might know.
I have one and used it on the RT now on the GT

Quote:
I live in Canada and store the bike in a unheated shed. It can reach -40 degrees. If I leave this hooked up all winter will it keep the battery charged and not allow it to freeze?
-40 weather F or C is cold anyway, will it keep it charged, yes, keep from freezing do not know.

Quote:
Instructions say: "You must first turn the key on to the bike, then you plug the charger into the accessory socket, then you plug the charger into the wall for power, then you turn the key off." Do you know if I will need to go through this process throughout the winter or will it just (as above) keep running and apply a charge when needed? The dude at the parts desk seemed to think it would.
The song and dance is a one time event, if you take the charger off for any reason, kick the plug out of the outlet, lose power, you need to do the "handshaking" sequence again.

Quote:
Also, (I can't seem to find this info) what type of battery does the 2009 K13GT have? FLA, AGM or GEL?

Mine is AGM, i think the information is in the user manual.

Stay warm

2009 KGT1300 Apple Red (mine)
2008 RT Biarritz Blue (mine - sold)
2005 ST Piedmont Red/Light Magnesium (hers)
Luis Roth
BMWMOA #143775 IBA# 35651
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 2009, 10:46 pm
Addict-oholic

If a battery is well maintained and kept at full charge, it should not freeze.. If you are going to store the bike over the winter and it gets to 40 below, I would take it out of the bike and store it indoors hooked to the charger for safety's sake. It only takes a few minutes to take the battery out of the bike..

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 2009, 10:09 pm
Noob

It's curious that the instructions I received from fellow owners elsewhere on this K12/1300GT forum (see the thread titled "BMW Float Charger" -- at http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19993 -- that ran Oct. 23-25) differ slightly from those you mention, ugly. They are:

Start with the charger not plugged into an electrical outlet.

Plug the charger into your bike's accessory socket,

Turn on the ignition (so the CanBus system can recognize the charger once it's plugged into the electrical outlet),

Plug the charger into a wall electrical outlet,

Turn off the ignition.

In other words, these instructions are to not turn the ignition on until after you've plugged the charger into the bike. It's hard to believe it matters one way or the other, but I did have to follow these steps to get mine to work properly.

(However, I noticed today that, after more than two weeks of having the green light illuminated -- indicating a full charge -- the yellow 2/3 charge light is now on. Don't know what to make of that.)

By the way, the dealership that sold me my charger did tell me that if the garage is, like mine, attached to the house in such a way (partially tucked insdie the borders of the house itself) that it's not likely for the temperature inside it to get below freezing, the battery will be okay; if it gets below freezing, all bets are off.

- Dave
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 2009, 11:05 pm
Addict-oholic

If you have a fully charged battery, it will not freeze below 32 degrees. i don't know at what temp it will, but it is extremely low. I leave my batteries in my boat as they are too heavy to take out. The temps sometimes falls to zero or so and never had a problem.

The BMW special charger will turn back on into the yellow zone once in awhile to properly desulphate and maintqain your battery.

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 2009, 8:41 am
Rookie

Here is a document on the Odyssey battery site. If you have an AGM battery (like the Odyssey), the storage characteristics are probably similar. So if you keep on a trickle charge, and the battery stays above -30 degrees (which is likely even if the outside air temporarily reaches -40), then you should be OK.

http://www.odysseybatteries.com/file...M-006_0208.pdf

"WINTER STORAGE
The ODYSSEY battery does not lose its charged energy during cold storage temperatures, so there is no
need to trickle or float charge during winter months. To store off-season, measure the battery voltage to
make sure it is fully charged, 12.84 volts or greater; recharge if necessary. Disconnect the negative battery
cable to prevent any applied electrical load during storage. The ODYSSEY battery cannot freeze down
to -40C (-40F), -30C (-22F) for PC2250, so it can be left in the vehicle. It can be stored for 2 years or
more below 77F.
A 12V, 3 amp trickle charger can also be left connected to the battery if it is kept in storage for extended
periods or if the battery is subject to parasitic loads during storage. Information on two such chargers
we recommend, including where to buy them, can be found on our website at www.odysseybattery.com."

2009 K1300GT (Red) :
-----------------------------------
2002 R1150R (Sold)
1997 Honda VFR 750 (Sold)
1997 Honda Valkyrie Tourer (Totalled)
1995 Honda ST1100 (Sold)
1980 Honda GL1100 (Sold)
1983 Yamaha XV920 (Sold)
1979 Honda CX500 (Sold)
1980 Yamaha XS400 Special II (Sold)
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 2009, 12:27 pm
Rookie

My 09 1300GT has a Gel Battery in it. Page 10-154 in Riders Manual. 19Ah Gel-Exide.

McWideglide
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 2009, 12:20 pm
Veteran

Quote:

I have the new style BMW battery in my bike, the invoice says AGM, but I will take it out later today to make sure.( BMW 61212346800, 12V 19AH 100A AGM) You do not have to bring it inside, but I will do so myself, just on the odd chance that it could crack and spill acid......I have seen that happen on a bike with a lead acid battery......not pretty!

But Holy s......t $160.00 US for a charger.......you are in Canada did you know that Canadian Tire just added a full line of chargers to their website this past month?I haven't seen them on their shelves yet, but all are suitable for charging and maintaining FLA,Gel and AGM batteries and Waaaaaaaaaaay cheaper than that. They even had some of them on sale the past two weeks.And better warranty also......! I am not a big fan of Canadian Tire, even if my brother owns lots of their shares, but I am even less of fan of sending my hard earned money south of the border.......!

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 17th, 2009, 11:27 am Thread Starter

Thanks for all the advise. Yes $160 is a tad expensive but I live in Alberta where it can go from -40 to very comfortable riding weather overnight. We get Chinooks (see picture) which can only last a day sometimes.

Knowing that all I need to do is unplug the charger from my accessory plug and go for a ride with a fully charged battery is well worth it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Chinook_wind.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	11281  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode