I've joined the DARK SIDE!!! - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 2009, 1:47 am Thread Starter

I've joined the DARK SIDE!!!

Greetings from Kalifornia,
Well I thought I'd best post-up and let you know that I've finally fallen to the DARK SIDE and it's going to be a very long night until I can pick up my new 2010 Royal Blue Metallic K1300 GT in the morning! This is my first venture from V-Twins and about a year ago I started to feel the "force" pulling on me after I sat on 2008 Black "S". Really wanted it but the dealer wouldn't swap the Blue wheels off a Silver bike over to the Black one... and several months earlier I purchased a 1125R Buell (IT IS SO FRICKIN FUN) and I really didn't need another sport bike. The GT's also had this strange,subtle aura emanating from them, but again I had a '03 Electra Glide so wasn't really looking for a "Bagger". In early September, riding home from work I stopped in at BMW and asked to test ride a GT. I think that's when the "hook was set", but again I wasn't actively looking to sell my Electra Glide as I really enjoyed it and it never had any issues. Then about two weeks ago I was asked if I was interested in selling my "Bagger", told the guy I'd think about it. Well last Friday I sold the Harley and then went to talk to the BMW folks, they had two '09's, a Silver one and a Red, but no Blue. After a little checking they had a Blue 2010 coming in and I get it tomorrow morning!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 2009, 3:42 am

Location: Dublin / Belfast, Dublin / Down, Ireland / Northern Ireland
Congratulations and savor these feelings as they're what life's all about!!

Something similar happened to me when I was in the showroom getting the GS serviced and saw a GT for the first time (I'd never even heard of them and knew nothing about the entire K range) - it was a case of "Oooooh, hello Princess - and what do they call you?"!!!!

A few weeks later I had a test ride and that was me hooked - couldn't get the loan sorted out quick enough!

My bike is my sole form of transport all year round and in all weathers - on a Monday morning I commute 125 miles to work and do it back again on a Friday afternoon. Between these days I have a 60 mile round trip commuting each day. My long commutes are mostly motorway and fast A-roads and I can't imagine a better equipped more comfortable tool for the job - and it's always nice to know that the fun don't end when you hit the twisty stuff (as I proved in the summer on a day trip to Scotland for the British Superbikes at Knockhill with my ZX10 and Hornet riding mates - I kept up with them the whole way on very twisty roads whilst carrying the entire group's locks and chains (4 of), waterproofs (6 of), packed lunches (many), bottles of frozen water (4 litres) - fully loaded with panniers and top box fitted but suspension set to stun).

I'm doing around 20,000 miles a year on average and currently loving the GT - as I said to the dealer recently, the only problem with a bike like this is where do you go from here? He replied - "another one?" !!!!!!

Enjoy!
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 2009, 9:03 am
Noob

My story mirrors both of yours. I have been riding RT's and LT's for the last 15+ years. I live in Nevada and my dealer is 375 miles away in Los Angeles. My son also lives in LA. I usually go see him and my Granddaughter every couple of months. The Nevada freeways are like the autobahn, one can usually run 90+. So the criteria for my motorcycle purchases is the ability to run high speeds. My Harley Davidson that I had when I moved to Nevada I'm sure could run at those speed but the bike felt like it was not happy and I was totally worn out when I got to California (please you Harley riders don't slam me, just my observation). On one of ventures to LA I had to take my bike in for a warranty issue and they needed it for the day. The owner of this particular dealer is a friend of mine, he he suggested I take a GT for the day which I quickly excepted. Lots of fun, took it to the beach, around some of the local canyons a great day. I picked up my RT spent the rest of my time in LA and on my way home I was crossing the desert at a high rate of speed and I kept having flash backs of the GT. Got home, kept telling myself that the RT is the "most perfect" bike. About a 2 weeks later I called my friend and asked him if a really nice RT would be a welcome addition to his used bike line and of course he said yes and the rest is history. A little more than a year later the bike has 15000+ miles and has made several trips to LA. The only problem "I" seem to have it the RPMs that this thing runs at. Coming of big inch twins where the RPMs are much lower at highway speeds is kind of nerve racking to me but I have been assured from owners on this site as well as the dealer that this engine is made for these kinds of RPM's. Oh well enjoy your new ride and welcome to the BMW side of town...............
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 2009, 10:39 am

Congratulations !!!!!

You need to post a picture when you get it.

I went from an RT to a GT and I have to say it is a wonderous machine, simply incredible in what it does.

Wait till you can hammer it, it completely transforms above 7K

Enjoy it and have fun

2009 KGT1300 Apple Red (mine)
2008 RT Biarritz Blue (mine - sold)
2005 ST Piedmont Red/Light Magnesium (hers)
Luis Roth
BMWMOA #143775 IBA# 35651
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 2009, 11:09 am
Noob

Brit GT

You American chappies get so excited about your new transport, i too have a 1300gt and it is an adequate conveyance for my needs, and has performed in a right and proper manner as designed with a propensity to delight. All in all a spiffing piece of kit, top drawer.Haw Haw What!!
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 2009, 12:37 pm

Location: Dublin / Belfast, Dublin / Down, Ireland / Northern Ireland
Acko - very good (although you're merely serving simply to re-inforce US stereotypes of us Brits and the totally undeserved moniker of chappie-eccentric types).

Now, where's that damn Butler, I need to get the West Wing sorted before Auntie arrives for her roast beef, fish, chips and tea?
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 2009, 12:40 pm
IBR# 366

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazzle
Now, where's that damn Butler, I need to get the West Wing sorted before Auntie arrives for her roast beef, fish, chips and tea?
Don't forget the Yorkshire puddings . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 2009, 2:38 pm
Noob

Goodo, got to have a larf havn't you.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 2009, 10:41 pm Thread Starter

What a great day to break in a new motorcycle!!! Sunny in the morning turning overcast / cloudy by early afternoon, temps 60 - 65 deg. F with a few sprinkles here and there. Daughter dropped me off promptly at 9AM at the dealership, completed the paperwork and the "walk-around" and then it was off for a ride. HOUSTON WE HAVE LIFT OFF !!!
Spent most of the time on the twisty two lane country roads and a couple excursions out on the freeway to see what 5th and 6th felt like all the while not going over 6.25K. What an absolutely smooth performing bike. Put 137 miles on the clock and can't wait till I can get out and do some more. As for the colour (you Brits take notice of the spelling ) the Royal Blue is awesome and in different light it does look Black and it's the "fastest" colour too!
I'll post a few pics as soon as I figure out the url tags...
Was trying to use the "Insert Hyperlink" to my "flickr" account but that doesn't seem to work.

Well it's off to have a couple of "gin and tonics" and savor the day!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	055.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	729.5 KB
ID:	11251   Click image for larger version

Name:	054.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	609.2 KB
ID:	11252   Click image for larger version

Name:	062.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	839.5 KB
ID:	11253   Click image for larger version

Name:	065.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	630.3 KB
ID:	11254   Click image for larger version

Name:	070.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	1.50 MB
ID:	11255  

Click image for larger version

Name:	080.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	809.0 KB
ID:	11258  

Last edited by K13GT; Nov 6th, 2009 at 12:41 am.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 2009, 2:31 am
Noob

Congratlations, looks fantastic, i notice in the States you have reflectors on the side cases and forks, in the UK the side cases have the BMW badge and we don't have fork reflectors. I can't see from the piccies any other differences. I too have a Royal Blue bike, I had the topbox painted to suit. The blue does show every mark and minor paint chip, but polishes up a treat. Just going in to our winter here so bike will be tucked up in the garage on the battery tender for a few months, just can't bring myself to take it out on salted roads. Dark mornings and early dusk, wet cold tarmac covered in leaves and car drivers half asleep....i just don't need it. Will spend the winter planning next years trip through France and over the Alpine passes to Lake Como in Italy. SUN SEX and MOTORCYCLING.....well the sun and motorcycling are definates!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode