Pirelli Angel's - First Impressions - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 2009, 4:57 am Thread Starter
Addict

Pirelli Angel's - First Impressions

Had the new hoops fitted yesterday and got to put 500ks on them today.
They replaced a pair of Dunlop RoadSmarts and ive got to say I never really liked the front Dunlop and always felt like I had to apply way too much input into a turn and wrestle it out.
I know that new tyres always feel sweet when youve pulled tired ones off but the front end is now back how i remember it. Its light and responsive and whatever line you pick it justs seems to hold it tight without having to correct it which is what i felt with the Dunlops. There were plenty of twisties today and my confidence in selecting a fast line is back.
They actually feel more comfortable and seem to absorb more of the small bumps.
If anyone else is thinking of giving them a go my first impressions are very positive.

Black stuff down, Shiny side up!______________________________
10 R1200RTSE
02 R1100S
07 K1200GT R.I.P.
86 K100RS Sold
07 R1200GSA Sold
07 Softail Heritage Sold
86 K100RS Sold
82 R100RS Sold
82 Suzi GSX1100 Sold
75 Honda 750/4 Sold
74 Yamaha XS650 Sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 2009, 8:37 am

Hmmmm, Looks like someone has them on a GT already.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyNWjfJDavQ

And on a 1300GT (15min video)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JICx...eature=related

2007 K1200GT Jet Black

post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 2009, 12:51 pm

So how are they wearing? Tread life? Handling? When the angel went away, do you lose confidence or did the demon take over?

- CRASH -
IBA# 21680
"Motorcycles and beer, that is how I know there is a God and that he loves us."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 2009, 6:31 pm
Addict

Anyone with more info on Angels? Gonna need new rubber pretty soon. Also have the Roadsmarts-They were OK, but now the the harder compound in the center of both front and back is getting pretty obvious-not liking so much anymore. Seems that despite all the manufactures claims-tires on the GT seem to last 7k+/- no matter what. Of the last 5 sets the best were the Avon Storms-still only 7k-but best-for me, all round tire. Just waiting for info and release of the Storm 2 and and feed back on the Angels.

Marin Phil
2013 K13S-Anniv ED
'06 K12GT Blue of course!_Sold-too many problems
'05 Ducati 999-My Italian Mistress_sold and missed
2004 K12 GT-Orient Blue-the new me.-Sold
about 30 before that but too old to remember them all..
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 2009, 8:05 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by -CRASH-
So how are they wearing? Tread life? Handling? When the angel went away, do you lose confidence or did the demon take over?
Due to work and Xmas etc Ive still only put a couple of thousand Ks on them so far but I like them a lot.
My other choice would have been the PR2s as Ive run them before and liked them too.
I wanted to give these a go and Im not disappointed.
The handling has become much lighter than the Dunlops. The front is lighter but doesnt seem to hold a straight line as well in cross winds but that might be my imagination.
The most noticeable benefit has been the way they hold a line in a corner. I just dial it in on entry and it just holds that line without having to be working the bars which is the way my bike felt on the RoadSmarts. Dont get me wrong ive ridden worse but I found each corner was an effort with the Dunlops where as so far these things are very sweet.
Cant comment on longevity but its not something that particularly bothers me.
I seem to get around 10,000ks out of a rear before i feel like it needs changing where as some would probably squeeze another couple of thousand out of them.
I like new tyres under me and while its not irrelevant, distance comes last in the order of priorities for me.
While its not a huge benefit where i live due to the warm weather, they do warm up very quickly. I rode the bike down to the local service station which is probably only a couple of Ks and I felt the rubber when I got off and they were quite warm to touch in just that distance.
As for the whole Angels and Demons thing, It nearly put me off buying them as I think it rates an 11 out of 10 on the Wank Meter.
Ive got a 6,000k trip coming up at the end of Feb so I will provide some more feedback and maybe some pics when I get back.

Pmorrit, I dont think that you will be disappointed mate, Im not.

Black stuff down, Shiny side up!______________________________
10 R1200RTSE
02 R1100S
07 K1200GT R.I.P.
86 K100RS Sold
07 R1200GSA Sold
07 Softail Heritage Sold
86 K100RS Sold
82 R100RS Sold
82 Suzi GSX1100 Sold
75 Honda 750/4 Sold
74 Yamaha XS650 Sold
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 2010, 2:00 am
Rookie

Pirelli Angel ST

I've got six of them coming for three bikes. The Diablo Strada was my favorite, so I hope that these are better yet. Longevity is what I liked most about the Diablo.

Bob
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 2010, 11:25 am

I'm need to swap out a rear tire on my 1200GT. Only got 5800 miles out of the Avon Storm ST but I did like how it handled. I proably would have gotten more out of it but we rode pretty aggressivley on a trip in Arkansas that burned up the center. The side tread was pretty feathered but not worn down much at all. It still looked almost new.
I'm convined these bikes chew through tires because of the wheel offset BMW designs into it. The PTR issue scrubs the tires off sooner than any other bike I've owned.

2003 K1200 GT
73 RD 350
85 RZ 350
79 Daytona
82 V45 Sabre
03 Tuono Racing
82 YZ 250
02 Polaris 500
02 VTX 1800C
06 Yamaha YZF-R1
06 Yamaha YZF-R1 LE
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 2010, 2:17 pm

Has anyone tried the Michelin Pilot Road 2 -Bs? Apparently they are for the heavier bikes.

Also, on another site I read that someone was running Michelin PR2 rear and a Michelin Pilot Power 2CT front. I was always under the impression that they should be matched sets (?). Any advise.

One other thing (I should be starting a new string) my back wore out much sooner than my front. At 10k km the back is embarrassingly wore to just about the treads but the front looks like it has at least 30% left. I rode the bike fairly conservatively through most road conditions and twisty/straight roads. Of course I did "test" the engine and brakes, being it is a new bike to me. (K1300GT)
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 2010, 11:37 pm
Rookie

I am on my second set of Pilot 2 B got 9,000 of the first set. Have had the Avoms Stoms but only got around 6, 000 miles.
marty
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 2010, 12:52 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by uglybuttugly
Has anyone tried the Michelin Pilot Road 2 -Bs? Apparently they are for the heavier bikes.

Also, on another site I read that someone was running Michelin PR2 rear and a Michelin Pilot Power 2CT front. I was always under the impression that they should be matched sets (?). Any advise.

One other thing (I should be starting a new string) my back wore out much sooner than my front. At 10k km the back is embarrassingly wore to just about the treads but the front looks like it has at least 30% left. I rode the bike fairly conservatively through most road conditions and twisty/straight roads. Of course I did "test" the engine and brakes, being it is a new bike to me. (K1300GT)
I had a set of PR2 Bs and put 10,000 miles on them, mostly gentle riding, LD slabs, no pillion. I replaced them just before a long trip, but there was still another 1,000 to 2,000 miles of tread left. Now I have Avon Storms, which handle better, but I don't think they will last as long. I have a set of non-B PR2s in the garage to replace the Storms when needed. I prefer the Storms, but the PR2s were at a price that could not be refused.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode