Fuel Guage - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 2009, 8:54 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Fuel Guage

Fuel guage has starting acting flaky the last 4 or so tanks of fuel. Always use Chevron gas. Have noticed a lot of fluctuation and then today coming home from work I hit some of the local twisties and the guage went from showing half a tank to a full tank. Would this be the sensor strip I have read some threads about or something else?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 2009, 9:03 pm
Addict-oholic

Depends on the model of your bike. if it is pre 2009, it is a fuel strip or if it is 20098, it is a float sensor and see my woes on that subject in another thread. Problem still not resolved

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 2009, 9:06 pm Thread Starter
Noob

It is a 2006 GT. I have read of peoples going bad but always showing empty or just a little bit in the tank and it is empty but not this way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 2009, 2:53 am

Fuel Gauge Issues (Too)

I ran out of gas last week with well over 1/4 indicating on the gauge. I'm using the tripometer now. What I did notice is that right now I'm a little above 1/4 tank again. My tripometer indicates that I rode 210 miles, but the onboard computer thinks I have 120 miles remaining. So, the bike thinks I can ride for about 330 miles on one tank of gas. The tank holds a total of 6.3 gallons and at about 40 miles/gallon, that figures to be 252 miles (give or take a few).

I'm not a mechanic, nor do I pretend to be one. But I believe that something in the bike's computer/CAN bus, or whatever, is suddenly not ciphering correctly. Last month I had the software updated during the annual inspection. Before that I routinely ran the bike until the low fuel light came on. It usually came on right at about 220 miles, which is what I'd expect.

Also, I called the BMW roadside assistance when I ran out of gas. The guy who came to help me out, said that he had two similar incidences on K1200's in the last month (faulty fuel indicator).

Something has changed in the past couple of months. I don't know if it is the software update or the fuel indicator sensor. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 2009, 8:43 am

Some kind of units (metric/imperial/US) calculation issue?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 2009, 7:00 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by opwe
I ran out of gas last week with well over 1/4 indicating on the gauge. I'm using the tripometer now. What I did notice is that right now I'm a little above 1/4 tank again. My tripometer indicates that I rode 210 miles, but the onboard computer thinks I have 120 miles remaining. So, the bike thinks I can ride for about 330 miles on one tank of gas. The tank holds a total of 6.3 gallons and at about 40 miles/gallon, that figures to be 252 miles (give or take a few).

I'm not a mechanic, nor do I pretend to be one. But I believe that something in the bike's computer/CAN bus, or whatever, is suddenly not ciphering correctly. Last month I had the software updated during the annual inspection. Before that I routinely ran the bike until the low fuel light came on. It usually came on right at about 220 miles, which is what I'd expect.

Also, I called the BMW roadside assistance when I ran out of gas. The guy who came to help me out, said that he had two similar incidences on K1200's in the last month (faulty fuel indicator).

Something has changed in the past couple of months. I don't know if it is the software update or the fuel indicator sensor. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
It is not in the CAN bus system just needs a new fuel strip in the tank.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode