Why are so many GT's for sale??? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 2009, 1:15 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Why are so many GT's for sale???

Looking through Ebay there seems to be a large number of late model GT's for sale. I can purchase from a dealer an 09 model with 3,500 miles on the Odometer and the asking price is $14,995.

I currently ride an RT and am considering the GT but am just wondering why there are so many for sale.
The bike is rated as the best sport tourer and has great performance and ergonomics. Is it possibly to much to handle for a novice or occasional rider.

Any input is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 2009, 1:38 pm
IBR# 366

Simple. The economy is tough right now, and a lot of folks are shedding their expensive toys. Why make payments and insurance on a bike that gets ridden once or twice a year when you're worried about making the mortgage?

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 2009, 2:43 pm

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by madone59

The bike is rated as the best sport tourer and has great performance and ergonomics. Is it possibly to much to handle for a novice or occasional rider.

its a big bike, but if you already ride an RT then the only thing you have to worry about is your own self control.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 2009, 7:31 pm

Ever since they introduced the 1300 the market has been flooded with 1200's from people looking to get on the latest technology. It's another reason along with the reasons posted earlier.

I have a friend trying to unload his 07 1200 and can't because there are so many out there. The dealers slashed prices as well which makes his used bike worth even less.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 2009, 7:48 pm
Enthusiast

Ken is right, it's not just BMW's but Harley's and most other brands. My son has been out of work for a year and I just staved off the repo-man regarding his car. Hell, I've been trying to sell mine but no luck, buyer's market. Right now I'm not in the bad place but my employer can wack me at any time.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 2009, 8:11 pm

Wack here, wack everywhere. Winter months off season riding. It pulls the price down. It happens every year. Wait till summer time and you will see the price will come back up.

2006 K1200GT
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 2009, 8:24 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by madone59
Looking through Ebay there seems to be a large number of late model GT's for sale. I can purchase from a dealer an 09 model with 3,500 miles on the Odometer and the asking price is $14,995.

I currently ride an RT and am considering the GT but am just wondering why there are so many for sale.

I went from an RT to a GT, and couldn't be happier. I have some fueling issues in hot weather and only crawling along in first gear, but no high idle, and nothing worth the aggravation of tying up the bike at the dealer, not until the end of the warranty period anyway. As for why so many are for sale I think its the economy, nothing more.

MOA Member #106320
2003 R1150RT Titan Silver
2008 K1200GT Dark Graphite
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 2009, 9:50 am
Noob

There are so many for sale right now, so tightwads like me can squander our horded dollars on such a beautiful, speedy motorcycle.

Tight economy? Going into the winter? Sick of looking at the motorcycle, Mr. Dealer? Want some cash for Friday payroll or to floorplan that stack of metric cruisers and hard-to-finace ricerockets in the back room? Why, sell it to me! And that he did.

Now, one problem.

What the HECK do I do with this piece of crap '99 Harley Heritage Sofatail?

If you want to talk about something with its price in the crapper, that's it, guys.

Being a noooooob, I've got some questions for you guys. I'll start another thread for that.

Mmmmmmmmmm. Heated seat..........Is seeing the snowflake on your GT's display a common thing for GT owners?
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 2009, 11:52 am
Noob

Smile

Welcome to the party marKgt. What to do with the old bike? Like you I was a Harley rider the day I walked into the BMW dealership in '07 and road away on my new GT. The hog ('96 Dyna Wide Glyde) remains in the fleet to this day and occasionally I crank it up and head out for a nostalgic afternoon ride in the country. We are both older now and it doesn't quite fit the role of a comfortable touring bike like the GT does with its heated handles and seats and all. When the need for cash arises I'll sell the boat first then the Harley then the house. My point is if you don't need the cash you'll like the variety of having more than one bike. The worst ride I ever had was still pretty good. Enjoy the forum.

'77 KZ 650
'96 Dyna Wide Glyde
'07 K1200GT
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 2009, 3:39 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by marKgt
Mmmmmmmmmm. Heated seat..........Is seeing the snowflake on your GT's display a common thing for GT owners?
Only for the die hards.

I see it most mornings from November to March.

Let's me know if I go down, I should slide a little further.

Terry

2007 K1200 GT
1998 R1100 RT traded in

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode