K12GT Electrical Problems - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 2009, 1:16 pm Thread Starter
Noob

K12GT Electrical Problems

I bought an 08 GT with 12K miles on it from a friend in September. Two weeks after buying it, the red triangle and battery light came on after starting it. I shut it off, gave it a minute or two, and tried to restart it. Wouldn't crank. I waited half an hour and it finally fired and lasted long enough to get me home. I called my dealer who recommended that I charge the battery then bring it in for a check. I did so and when they got the bike, everything worked. I took it home the following day and by the time I got to my house, the brake failure light was on and it wouldn't crank over. (Again). Roadside assistance hauled it back to the dealer and they found that the battery was bad. That was replaced and I was told all was good. The bike cranked over well at the dealer, but by the time I rode it home, (about 18 miles), the brake failure light was on and it didn't want to start again. I charged the battery again, this time with my $175.00 BMW battery tender, and took it back to the dealer. After checking all the systems including the new battery, (all checked good) the service manager rode it home and it did the same trick to him. They kept the bike and have done extensive troubleshooting, using computers, breakout boxes, and every tool on hand, and found that the alternator output is dropping down from 14.1 V to 13V when it gets hot. They've ordered a new alternator. There are none in the U.S.. One was found in Germany, but as yet we have no ETA on when it might get here. I'm beginning to wonder if I should sell the GT when it gets fixed and just keep my faithful 03 RT? All I can say is thank Heaven that I still have a year warranty on this thing. If I was paying for all of this, including $900.00 for an alternator, I'd consider a Honda or a Harley.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 2009, 2:14 pm

Faulty alternator could happen to anybody on any brand of bike. The fact that it's a heat-related fault just made it a little tougher to unravel. It's annoying but it doesn't mean the bike is unreliable or a lemon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hacjac
I bought an 08 GT with 12K miles on it from a friend in September. Two weeks after buying it, the red triangle and battery light came on after starting it. I shut it off, gave it a minute or two, and tried to restart it. Wouldn't crank. I waited half an hour and it finally fired and lasted long enough to get me home. I called my dealer who recommended that I charge the battery then bring it in for a check. I did so and when they got the bike, everything worked. I took it home the following day and by the time I got to my house, the brake failure light was on and it wouldn't crank over. (Again). Roadside assistance hauled it back to the dealer and they found that the battery was bad. That was replaced and I was told all was good. The bike cranked over well at the dealer, but by the time I rode it home, (about 18 miles), the brake failure light was on and it didn't want to start again. I charged the battery again, this time with my $175.00 BMW battery tender, and took it back to the dealer. After checking all the systems including the new battery, (all checked good) the service manager rode it home and it did the same trick to him. They kept the bike and have done extensive troubleshooting, using computers, breakout boxes, and every tool on hand, and found that the alternator output is dropping down from 14.1 V to 13V when it gets hot. They've ordered a new alternator. There are none in the U.S.. One was found in Germany, but as yet we have no ETA on when it might get here. I'm beginning to wonder if I should sell the GT when it gets fixed and just keep my faithful 03 RT? All I can say is thank Heaven that I still have a year warranty on this thing. If I was paying for all of this, including $900.00 for an alternator, I'd consider a Honda or a Harley.

Un-used mirror hole mounting posts AVAILABLE

Check it out here!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 2009, 9:47 pm
Addict

I bought my 1985 K100RT in south Florida in 1987 second-hand. The first owner bought it, and apparently it came with a bad fuel pump. I found out during my research to buy it that my bike "was notorius" as that first owner had it in the back of a pickup truck "to every BMW in Florida wanting his money back.". Apparently, the bike had a big sign on it too that said "LEMON". BMW finally bought it back, and I found it at a dealership with 2,200+ miles on it. That dealer replaced that new and faulty fuel pump before I bought it.

Now, twenty-two years later, my TRUSTED and LOVED K100RT fires up every time, with the SAME fuel pump, and the bike has 89,000+ miles on it, and I will NEVER be rid of it. It has NEVER, EVER left me anywhere.

Fast forward twenty-two years. I now have an '06 K1200GT that has been through all the updates. Hassle? Maybe. Awesome machine? Hell YES!

I also have an '07 GS. Got it last year. The day before my planned vacation this year, where I bought new tires and had it in for it's 12k service ready to ride to Banff, the now notorius issue of the failed fuel pump controller left me at the side of the road, eighteen miles from my house (This is now a global recall for all GS models 2005-2008- I got my recall notice from BMW YESTERDAY, the recall was announced two weeks after it killed my GS). Part took a week and a half to come in. Vacation scrapped. I still LOVE my GS.

Moral: Relax. You bought a high-performance bike that had a tick from the factory. Get 'er ironed out, and you will enjoy many, many years of riding.

B.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 2009, 10:42 pm
Addict-oholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brahma
I bought my 1985 K100RT in south Florida in 1987 second-hand. The first owner bought it, and apparently it came with a bad fuel pump. I found out during my research to buy it that my bike "was notorius" as that first owner had it in the back of a pickup truck "to every BMW in Florida wanting his money back.". Apparently, the bike had a big sign on it too that said "LEMON". BMW finally bought it back, and I found it at a dealership with 2,200+ miles on it. That dealer replaced that new and faulty fuel pump before I bought it.

B.

So, the way to resolve my problems on my 2009GT is to haul it around on a truck with a "LEMON" sign on it, and BMW will buy it back ?? Cool
I like my bike with all its faults, and I think BMW will get it right sooner or later !!

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 2009, 12:31 am Thread Starter
Noob

Pardon my rancor

Thanks for the good words Gentlemen. My Dealer (Brown's Motor Works) has been great through this ordeal and they've bent over backwards to get the issue resolved. I am in aerospace and I understand the trouble with trying to troubleshoot intermittant problems. I was frustrated this morning when I started this thread but overall, I love the bike. Now I just want to RIDE it! I understand that things like this take time. So again, thanks, and I'll do my best to be patient. :
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 2009, 12:31 am
IBR# 366

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrykay
So, the way to resolve my problems on my 2009GT is to haul it around on a truck with a "LEMON" sign on it, and BMW will buy it back ??
Think that would work for me? I mean, is there an upper mileage limit on this?

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 2009, 1:34 am
Enthusiast

Break In

I used to joke (half heartedly mind you) that the "defunct" 3 year warranty was for getting all the bugs out because it took that long to sort out a bike (that was before my first Moto Guzzi mind you since the Italians play closer to the chest). Some Beemers have more troubles than others and with the amount of electrical gear on the K bikes, it could be just a matter of time. However, my GT has had the least issues of all my BMW bikes including my R75, K75, K100RS and R1100RS. I can see why BMW changed the rules on the factory warranty, they were loosing their shirts.

Heck with this bike I even ignored the extended warranty ($) but generally I'd advise new BMW owners to go with the extra piece of mind. The real problem is getting a dealer to listen and remember who is helping keep them in business. There wasn't enough room to get a license plate that states "They All Do This" from DMV. However, this gives me a great idea for a license plate frame! We should have a poll on who's been told, "They all do this" for the new K bikes.

Last edited by beavtm; Nov 14th, 2009 at 1:41 am.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode