HID lights on K12GT - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 2009, 8:56 pm Thread Starter
Noob

HID lights on K12GT

I've read great things about the Trail Tech SCMR16 HID lights. I'd like to mount them on the brake calipers. Anyone had any luck with this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 2009, 12:29 am
IBR# 366

It depends what you want them for.

Trail Tech makes good, but not great HID lights. They're compact and well made, but they use an off-the-shelf reflector system that simply doesn't put all that much useful light down the road where you need it. They were designed for off-road bikes that have small alternators and much lower speeds, and in that application they do work well. But at the higher highway speeds that a GT is usually running at, it's real easy to outrun the lights.

Sure, they're better than cheapie halogen "driving" lights, but not as good as a properly engineered HID light setup. Then again, those are quite a bit more expensive, too.

I just noticed you're in L.A. If you want to see what some serious HID lights can do, I can show you in person . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 2009, 1:12 am Thread Starter
Noob

HID lights

Thanks for the info. I'd love to see what you use sometime. What brand are you recommending? And where do you mount them?

Months ago I had a long night of riding on an RT and was a bit shocked as to how bad the visibility was on an dark country road with the stock headlight and and HID bulb. I'd love to find a better solution for the KGT.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 2009, 9:51 am
Enthusiast

Ken rides faster than I do, but the Trail Tech units do a pretty good job at sub-warp speed. They are not great, but they are pretty good for the money. I mounted mine up by the mirrors and used a BMW switch housing and Phoenix switch. I'm not sure what Ken is using but they probably blister the paint on road signs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0063.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	1.28 MB
ID:	11270   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0064.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	1,022.6 KB
ID:	11271   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0067.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	1.00 MB
ID:	11272  

Dale
2008 K1200GT
Metallic Blue
MOA #72871
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 17th, 2009, 1:00 am Thread Starter
Noob

HID lights

Dale - thanks for the post. I found a site that has some custom brackets and lights.
http://www.lumalink.com/switchmount.html
Any comments on the assortment of lights they sell? Would love to be educated on what a "properly engineered" HID set up would be.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 17th, 2009, 8:30 am
Enthusiast

I like my Trail Tech set-up. But, if you are near Ken, he's seen just about every set-up and could give you some personal advice. That is, if he's not on the road. I'd take him up on his offer and meet with him. I know that Lumalink has a good reputation but I like to have my lights mounted a little higher. I am using Jimmy Mounts from Denver BMW.

Dale
2008 K1200GT
Metallic Blue
MOA #72871
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 2009, 6:41 am
The Gov

I have a similar mounting arrangement but with the PIAA 1100's. I have a set of TT HIDs on my F800GS because it only has a 400W alternator. I am now on my second set of bulbs, had water in both of them, lots of similar problems noted on the net.

There are some other options that use standard HID bulbs instead of the MR16, not sure if any of them are worthwhile, nothing posted, but I'm going to swap out my TT's if the bulbs take a dump a second time.

I think that switch is a pretty cool idea as well. This is my setup, I used the BMW switch, a little pricey, but it is integrated, and the light has burned out finally on the switch.....

BMW Light Switch

TT's on my GS. I changed the mount and went with a light bar to reorient them to vertical. The cable going into the lights were sealed with RTV and the interior of the housing was bone dry, only water was in the lamps themselves, I think the problem was with the MR16's, not the the housing, which is well made and very compact.

Phil Space
Springfield, VA
2007 K1200GT the road beast
2009 F800GS - My little adventure bike.
2007 F800ST - Her's, but I can ride it.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 2009, 1:32 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meese
....... But at the higher highway speeds that a GT is usually running at, it's real easy to outrun the lights. . . .
Geez Meese, I knew you had a lot of gadgets on that machine but when did you add the "warp drive"?

As to the thread, I have the Piaa 1100's mounted down on the forks and they work quite well. I find them to be effective to about a 70 mph comfort zone at night up here in critter land.

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode