Park-N-Move Problem - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 2009, 5:05 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Park-N-Move Problem

Bought a used Park-N-Move last week. Thought I'd try it out. Wasn't too bad getting the GT on it. Moving around was easy too. Had trouble getting it down and ended up with the bike laying on the garage floor on it's right side. Looks like I'll be getting the right bag painted over the winter.

Anyone have the trick for getting the bike off this thing without dropping it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 2009, 6:56 pm
Enthusiast

I have one and use it with my 85 K100RS

I struggled getting it up on the stand - the inventor told me to run the rear wheel up on to a 3/4" plywood board, makes the process easier.

Getting it off - put the sidestand down, lock the wheels and rock forward, pulling it slightly towards yourself and resting it on the sidestand. I've had a couple of cases where the par-n-ride got jammed between the stand and the rear wheel..... carefully get onto the bike, both feet on the ground and move it forward until it frees up.

"What follows is based on actual occurrences. Although much has been changed for rhetorical purposes, it must be regarded in its essence as fact. However, it should in no way be associated with that great body of factual information relating to orthodox Zen Buddhist practice. It's not very factual on motorcycles, either."

Robert Persig - Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

1985 K100RS (Sold)
2000 323i (Sold)
2003 1150GS (Sold)
2009 528Xi
2004 K1200GT
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 2009, 7:26 pm

I've not dropped it, but it's a bitch getting off the device. With the casters locked, it just drags across the floor when you lurch the bike forward. If you place your foot in front of the caster to keep the device from dragging, the bike will drop off the center stand....however the footpeg can nail your leg, and/or the device will get jammed between the rear wheel and the center stand. If there's a better technique, somebody post it.

Un-used mirror hole mounting posts AVAILABLE

Check it out here!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 2009, 2:36 pm
2 heads are better than 1

About to unbox mine and put it into use. I guess i"ll have an interesting afternoon in the garage.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 BMW R1200RT Polar Metallic
2008 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S Red (of course)

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 2009, 11:21 pm
Noob

Sounds like the inventor forgot the most important part of the invention. How the average person will use it and have a good experiance with the product. Sounds like some additional developement and recalls.

Jason
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 17th, 2009, 1:29 pm
KJG

Never heard of it, so I had to look this one up.

For other Noob's out there: http://www.cyclegadgets.com/Products...t.asp?item=PNM

It seems like a great thing to have, but I would certainly be worried about dropping my bike. Again.

Ken
[email protected]

1982 Yamaha Vision
2007 BMW K1200GT
2009 BMW K1300GT
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 17th, 2009, 3:14 pm

Video tutorial of bike removal from stand

Un-used mirror hole mounting posts AVAILABLE

Check it out here!
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 17th, 2009, 6:12 pm
Noob

Unhappy

I picked up my FIRST Park-n-Move from Pirates back in April of this year for my 08 K12GT. I met the same fate as Kbach with the bike falling over in my garage on the right side scratching BOTH the right bag cover AND making a lovely mess of the right lower fairing piece as well. I was extremely pissed as you might well imagine with the bike only being about 6 weeks old. The rear wheel jammed between the base plate and the rear casters. As I tried to unjam it, I lost my balance and...well you know. I just got my repainted pieces back from Max's BMW.

I contacted Jerry at Pirates right after this happened and he told me that there was a "enhanced" version of the P&M for bikes with large rear tires like on the K12GT. The guy at Legal Speeding (I guess sells the P&M to Jerry) took back my original model and (for a small exchange fee) sent me the new "enhanced" version. With that one you no longer have to assemble the pieces, it comes as one unit with the wheels. The base plate is somewhat lower to the ground and the space for the rear wheel is larger. Up on the stand the bike went (with a buddy on the right side) and now the P&M seemed to hang a bit due to the lower base plate rubbing on my cement garage floor. It wasn't too easy to move the bike around. Certainly not as easy as the video of the P&M suggests! Coming off the stand was a bit easier but not by much. My P&M has remained out of service since then due to my fear of the bike possibly getting away from me again due to jamming.

I would NOT recommend this device unless you have a smaller bike to use with it. The K's large rear tire and top heavy nature makes for a very risky combination.

If somebody has any suggestions otherwise, please let the forum know. I have one hell of a great boat anchor in my garage if anybody wants it! Thing weighs a ton!

Please ride safely!

Peter

Peter Fiedler
Boxford, MA

Adventurin Silver
2008 K1200GT
White
2009 R1200GS
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 17th, 2009, 6:58 pm
2 heads are better than 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTaylor
About to unbox mine and put it into use. I guess i"ll have an interesting afternoon in the garage.
After messing around with it for about 10 minutes getting my 1150 GSA up on it (getting placement right, getting my foot out of the way, just learning the device, etc.) I popped the beast up on the P&M and started rolling around the garage. Talk about making things easier out there! I took it off and put it back on a couple more times just to make sure I got what I was doing, and after the second try I had no drama or issues. I haven't tried to put the GT on it since I'm riding it as my primary right now, but I'll swap out in a couple of weeks and and throw the GT on their and shove it around. The GSA was easy to move and the GT should be easier with it's front weight bias (front wheel on the ground instead of rear). Overall I'm really pleased with it, and my roommate and I both like walking through the garage without having to be contortionists.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 BMW R1200RT Polar Metallic
2008 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S Red (of course)

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 18th, 2009, 2:56 pm
Enthusiast

I have the unit you bolt together. First two had bolt tabs in the middle that were bent past 90 degrees meaning it dragged on the floor in the center. They got me a set hand inspected and it works well. I have not had any issues with it. Leave the wheels unlocked when loading and lock them when taking it down. When you take it down it can't go far before the rear tire hits the unit which could be off-putting. I like it. I can get the bike way in the corner of the garage in a way I couldn't without it. And it's just plain easier to move around although you have to put a lot of weight on the back to get the front tire off the ground. Not as easy to roll around as in the video (different bike) but its a keeper.

2006 GT
2002 RT sold
1985 Maxim X sold

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode