Simple microphone install - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 2009, 12:28 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

Simple microphone install

Here's how I solved my desire for a helmet mounted microphone, that's dirt cheap and works very well.

I have an iPhone (but any phone could use a similar process), which I use with a pair of UltimateEars UE-11 pro headphones. There are a lot cheaper alternatives to the UE's but once you've made the investment, you'll never go back. They also have the bonus feature of eliminating wind noise, since they are custom molded to the ear canal.

My issue was adding a microphone so I could receive calls on the bike or make calls without having to take my helmet off. I was not happy with bluetooth or in-helmet microphone/ear speaker sets. I wanted something really simple.

I purchased an iSoniTalk microphone ($20 list), which provides a microphone and a jack in which to plug any headset. Here is an independent review.

I have two helmets. One is a Shoei Multitec flip-up and the other is a Shoei RF-1000 full face (mostly for trackdays). Here are all the pictures:

All I did was to lift the left cheek pad and place the iSoniTalk cable underneath. Then I clicked the cheek pad back into place. Holding the cheek pad down, I pulled on the cable until the microphone was snug with the cheek pad. This provides support for the microphone and causes it to stand up. It also keeps it out of the way so the faceplate can flip up and down without interference.

All you have to do is then plug the headphone jack into the microphone jack. Plug that assembly into the iPhone and you're set. I thought the cable length would be too short but it turns out to be perfect.

Microphone sound quality is good (identical to the stock iphone earbuds). The bonus is that the microphone has a button to answer or end calls. I tried both my lightweight and heavy (winter) riding gloves, and with both I can easily flip up the face-shield (with the visor flipped down) reach through with the left gloved hand and press the button. No need to touch the phone. It can stay in my jacket pocket nice and safe or mounted on the RAM mount I have on the left bar. Usually I just leave the phone in my jacket, but on longer trips I will want to power it in the RAM mount cradle.

I have a Zumo 660 mounted to the right bar. I still need to test how it all works together (bluetooth to the Zumo). As soon as I get my Russell seat back I think a long day of testing is in order.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 2009, 2:39 pm
Veteran

Nice find there SFoster. Just ordered myself one through Amazon for $15.49 including shipping.

I'm thinking about trying them on my Nolan-N103 into their Bluetooth jack as the 4-conductor plug on the Monster cable looks the same. Maybe? Maybe not?

If not, maybe I can take it directly into the Autocom as it uses a 4-conductor jack as well and not fuss with the damn Bluetooh (I'm not partial to BT battery charging of multiple devices!). Might need a 4-conductor patch/extension cord though. Splitter into the Zumo cradle maybe? At least they can't hurt the budget too much. We'll see...

But I gotta ask, "Orange UE-11's! Really! Least you can't loose 'em.

Mack
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 2009, 3:19 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMack
But I gotta ask, "Orange UE-11's! Really! Least you can't loose 'em.
Mack
For the price I paid, I wanted to make sure NOBODY would want to steal them. And, if they did, I would find the person pretty quickly!!

BTW, I just found out that leather gloves work with the iPhone. Not thick padded winter gloves, but my racing leather gloves (which are pretty thick leather, work just fine.

I plan on experimenting with the Zumo 660 to see how the system could work. I did a quick ride on the CBR600RR and the microphone worked great. My wife said she didn't hear much road noise, just that damn loud muffler (track bike).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 2009, 1:24 am
IBR# 366

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFoster
BTW, I just found out that leather gloves work with the iPhone. Not thick padded winter gloves, but my racing leather gloves (which are pretty thick leather, work just fine.
Yes, single-layer leather gloves do work on the iPhone. You can also get an iPhone-specific stylus. I have the Pogo Stylus from Ten One Design. It's small and a bit short, but does work.

Although I did just notice that putting "iPhone stylus" into Google/Amazon gives several options between $5 and $10, including a three-pack for ~$7 with shipping. Can't beat that.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 2011, 10:12 pm
Noob

I love the solution. Did you test out the Zumo? I have a Zumo 550 and want to do the same thing. I prefer iTunes on my iPhone over the MP3 player on the Zumo though and I stil want to receive my Zumo audio directions. I thought you would blue tooth the iPhone to the Zumo and the Zumo would have the mike and speaker connection. In your setup, you pair the iPhone and Zumo but broadcast the Zumo audio to the iPhone?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode