Urgent advice PLEASE - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 2009, 2:52 pm Thread Starter

Urgent advice PLEASE

Guys, I need some urgent advice please.

My dealer has been working on resolving the non functioning cruise control which stopped working 2 weeks after a new lefthand switchgear was fitted. After spending a day fitting a new captor in the injection system ( fault they claimed was the issue) they phoned and said this hadn't fixed it.

Another hour later they called and demanded to know when I had fitted the Wunderlich brake and clutch levers. They now claim that by fitting a new clutch lever I have "bent" one of two electrical contacts, and it is this which has incapacitated the cruise control. They are now demanding 60 for the part which is not covered by warranty as I have supposedly damaged it, and a full days diagnostic costs finding the fault, which amounts to 240.

Two questions:

Does anyone know what contact could possibly have been bent by merely replacing one lever with another?

Is it reasonable for them to bill me a full days labour fixing a fault which they incorrectly diagnosed in the first place? Why should I pay for them fixing the wrong thing?

I have to go back tomorrow to collect the bike and "debate" these costs, any comments/advice gratefully accepted.

Thanks

PAUL

I'm living proof of the old adage "the older I get the faster I was"

blog

AlpineBiker Tours
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 2009, 3:06 pm
Noob

Urgent advice

I'd go along with them with a stipulation that they eat the bill if that is not the problem. The reason is that I'd bet 100:1 that it's a faulty switch assembly again. These switch assemblies are notorious! In any event, there is little else you can do if you indeed damaged the contacts. You could argue with them that a whole day of diagnostics is unreasonable. They should be able to isolate this kind of problem when they plug the bike to their diagnostic computer.... So, I guess, you should negotiate down the sum that they are demanding and pay it only if, indeed, that solves the problem.

Joe
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 2009, 3:28 pm
Veteran

Hate to say it, but if they call you here in the U.S. and revise your estimate, you are pretty much screwed. If they don't call or revise it then it's another matter.

You could always buy the part and do it yourself, but you run the risk of making the dealer angry too and the next time you go back and they will remember you. Then it's always the case that codes may need to be cleared or some setup coding they will may need to do and you may have to go back and grovel a bit.

When I add stuff to a warrantied bike, I usually let the dealer do it if it may cause issues down the road. I've been caught by that line "Whoever did this..." I've replied "You did!" or "Dealer X did it so call them," they usually shut up. Sadly, you aren't in that mix though.

If it were me, I'd chalk it up. Pay them to keep them happy if you plan to ever step foot in that shop again. At least you will have a working bike. Besides, the cost of you buying that part plus buying a GS-911 to clear a code and hope it works will run more than that.

Digressing a bit...
I owned a Mercury car once. Dealer said "It'll cost you $50 to fix the issue (probably the oil sender and red light on dash thing." Two hours later I get a call "Estimate is now $2200." Holy Crap! Worn main bearing on crankshaft. What can you do? Yeah, it had an engine knock too which was the crank. So I had them fix it.

Four o'clock comes and I get a call, "Mack, you car's ready." So the mechanic fixed it in 6 hours (approx.). Part was maybe $200 and labor was $2000 (in 6 hours at a shop rate of $80/hr. Go figger? That's a 4-fold increase in their shop rate!). I protested to the state's Bureau of Automotive Repair on the labor charge (after dealer said "Too bad." which pissed me off major). The state's officer says "Once they give you a verbal quote, you are stuck with it. Might be unethical, but it's binding." No more Mercury now.

Mack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 2009, 5:08 pm
Enthusiast

If it took them a full day to realize it was the clutch switch, that is very poor troubleshooting. I would definitely negotiate the labor portion of the bill. There a few things that deactivate the cruise such as the clutch and brakes. The first thing they should have checked is the status of these switches. Hooked up to the BMW computer, it displays the status of switches whether they are opened or closed. Really, should have taken 15 minutes to find that.

Brent Boshart
10 R1200GS ADV (his)
09 K1300S Light Grey (hers)
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 2009, 9:17 pm

I would ask them to show you the bent part compared to the new one too.

Also ask them for your old part back.

Steve
DFW
'07' GT Blue
'12' R1200GS Blue
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 2009, 11:10 pm
Veteran

OK, looking at the larger picture:
They claim it's the clutch switch, which was bent when YOU installed new levers. OK, fine, so we can assume the switch which was bent is in the switch group on the left handlebar.
BUT, didn't they ALREADY replace that switch group?
Unless you installed the lever AFTER the switch group was replaced, I'd say THEY bent it.
IF you installed the levers AFTER they replaced it, then yeah you could have damaged the switch. You could have anticipated a problem if the cruise quit after the lever install. If the dealer had half a kahuna they could step up for you and replace it under warranty (did you buy the bike from this same dealer?). They are notorious for failing anyways, BMW would probably just shrug it off to learn that a new switch group only lasted 2 weeks.
Given the tone of the dealer it probably would do no good to ask if the switch group could be repaired, either by "un-bending" the switch or swapping the clutch switch over from an otherwise defective switch group, like say the old one they removed from your bike 2 weeks ago?
Doesn't sound like good customer service, but by rights they probably "have ya". I would also call in to question the "1 day diagnosis". Some times it's rocket science, this doesn't sound like it should be terribly hard to diagnose, at least on the delaer level where they can monitior all the signals in and out of the engine module.

"No problem is so big or so complicated that it can't be run away from"

Dark Graphite: Making bikes faster for over 40 years.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode