Advice needed- UPDATE 28/11 - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 2009, 3:33 am Thread Starter

Advice needed- UPDATE 28/11

Here is the result of my visit to the dealer to see what caused the cruise control to cesase functioning. Apologies for the poor photos.

In the first photo is the switch which has been damaged.The silver strip on the right has “somehow” got bent when I installed the Wunderlich lever, but I have no idea how that was possible, as installation is merely a case of inserting the rod and tightening the lever to the bar mount.

Picture 2 shows the clutch lever from the reverse side. The switch shown on the right is the one where the contact has been bent ( in this pic removed). There are two contacts, both should look like the metal strip on the left. Moving the clutch lever actuates these contacts.

Picture 3 shows the clutch housing with the lever removed, but with the switch held in the position it would be mounted in. The clutch actuator rod fits into the hole on the right.

There is a problem in how BMW have sought to find the error. They have a process which is, plug in the diagnostic, which shows the cruise control switch is not working. When this fault shows, but that the physical switch itself is ok, then it sends the mechanic on a direct route to the assumption that the fault is in the “failsafe” part in the injection system.

I asked why there is no “commonsense” check of the switch behind the lever, as this is a 5 minute mount and dismount job, whilst the injection “fix” is 5 hours of dismantling the whole bike! It seems that BMW do not consider this as a possibility as it is extremely rare for this part to fail, and seems mechanics do not have enough ability to think laterally, and in my case, wonder if the fitment of shiny Wunderlich levers might have been the cause!

I complained that it is not reasonable to demand a days labour for a fault which they did not diagnose correctly, and am back today to see if we can come to an “accomodation” on the costs invoiced. I’ll keep you posted.

I'm living proof of the old adage "the older I get the faster I was"

blog

AlpineBiker Tours
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 2009, 8:14 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpinebiker

I complained that it is not reasonable to demand a days labour for a fault which they did not diagnose correctly, and am back today to see if we can come to an “accomodation” on the costs invoiced. I’ll keep you posted.
Not to minimize your plight, but if you installed something on your bike that is aftermarket and not officially approved by BMW how is it the dealers responsibility to absorb the labor costs in troubleshooting the problem regardless the path taken to reach the root cause.

If on the other hand they installed the levers they should stand behind their workmanship warranty.

I once mis-routed a ground on my RT affecting my cruise - the fault was traced to my work.

They charged me one hour labor instead of the actual 1.5 and I thought that was quite equitable.

2009 KGT1300 Apple Red (mine)
2008 RT Biarritz Blue (mine - sold)
2005 ST Piedmont Red/Light Magnesium (hers)
Luis Roth
BMWMOA #143775 IBA# 35651
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 2009, 10:47 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpinebiker
There is a problem in how BMW have sought to find the error. They have a process which is, plug in the diagnostic, which shows the cruise control switch is not working. When this fault shows, but that the physical switch itself is ok, then it sends the mechanic on a direct route to the assumption that the fault is in the “failsafe” part in the injection system.

I asked why there is no “commonsense” check of the switch behind the lever, as this is a 5 minute mount and dismount job, whilst the injection “fix” is 5 hours of dismantling the whole bike! It seems that BMW do not consider this as a possibility as it is extremely rare for this part to fail, and seems mechanics do not have enough ability to think laterally, and in my case, wonder if the fitment of shiny Wunderlich levers might have been the cause!
No commonsense, lack of intuition.......welcome to the "Plug and Pay" world. They costed me enough money, time and aggravation a few years back.....I know. Strictly by the book nowadays........!
But you may be able to prevent that from happening to someone else by going through the BMW Representative in your country.....that is if you have a valid complaint as to the "Procedure" used, it may force them to issue a "Service Bulletin" on it.
I've been there....it works!

Here is a quote from my BMW Repair Manual":
{If the need arises, repair instructions are also issued in the form of Service Information. This information is of course incorporated into the next issue of the Repair Manual}

Bonne Chance!

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 2009, 11:35 am
Veteran

Sorry about your plight as I've been there too with accessorizing a bike. Stuff goes wrong, but hey, it's a learning thing too. In the end, it's good info to pass along in case someone wants to add those levers in the future.

It may benefit you to contact Wunderlich and tell them that installers should be careful and check for possible damage to the switches themselves. I don't know what piece on their levers contacts the lever on the switch, but if it isn't wide enough than the stock one, I could see where it would catch the side of the switch plate and bend it.

As far as the mechanics labor, that's the way it is. They can only chase down what the computer tells them. If under warranty (No lateral thinking allowed), then they would need to argue with the factory if they go against the "Will of the corporate computer" which the Motherland objects too. Been there too (e.g. "Replace the cheap part first and leave the expensive one alone for next time.").

At least your dealer found the issue with the cruise control in spite of the BMW computer saying otherwise and be thankful they did. Another dealer may have been stumped and where would you be then? It could have been hours for labor and no fix.

Pay the bill and ride on. It's fixed.

Mack

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode