The real cost of that Wunderlich lever- €€€€€€€€'s - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 2009, 8:10 am Thread Starter

The real cost of that Wunderlich lever- €€€€€€€€'s

I have recently posted about problems with the cruise control on my K1300GT after the fitment of Wunderlich levers. Heres the full story and some shocking stats.

The story actually starts back in September, when on 1st , I ordered, and paid for, a pair of Wunderlich clutch and brake levers, from the French distributor, Dimensia-Techline. After one month a pair arrived, but to fit the K1200GT. Naturally I was a little annoyed about this, and explained that I needed them urgently for a tour starting 2 days later. This prompted them to post a new pair which were delivered the next day. Impressed with this service, I was quickly brought back to earth when I discovered that they had sent two brake levers, in different colours!, and not even for fitment on a GT!.

Some of you will remember that the GT didn‘t even make the tour due to a rogue ECU which took 12 days to find and fix, but thats another story, so as I hadn’t even used the GT, I hadn’t needed the levers, so decided to give them a chance to replace rather than refund. I returned the two sets of incorrect levers using a sign on receipt service. 13 days passed and no replacement levers, even though I had documented proof thay had received the incorrect parts. I emailed Dimensia yet again, impossible to speak to them because they have a voice mailbox only, no-one answers, told them I had the post office proof of return and signature, and asked where the hell were my levers? Bear in mind now 7 weeks have passed! Once I’d got them with proof that they had received the incorrect items days earlier, I got a reply saying that they had received the new and correct levers, which would be checked BEFORE desptach to avoid further errors, and that these would be despatched straight away. One week later however, I still hadn’t got them. Yet another mail asking why hadn’t they despatched them a week ago after telling me they physically had them, resulted in a reply “they are in the post”, and eventually, after a mammoth 68 days from placement of order, I finally received them!!!!!!!

Fitting was relatively easy. I mounted the brake lever first, found out how it should be done, and the clutch side went it easily. I didn’t get to ride for a week after though, due to poor weather, and it was on the second ride that I found the cruise wasn’t working. Thinking it was the newly installed switchgear again, I returned to the garage who verified it wasn’t working, and booked it in for a week later.

The rest is in my previous mails. It seems that the installation of the lever somehow broke a connection, although I still find it difficult to see how. But the true story is in the subsequent costs.

4 trips to the dealer = 6 hours riding = 520kms=€52 petrol + €15 motorway tolls.

Next comes replacement of the part @ €60, and €240 they are claiming in labour fixing the wrong part, although I’m trying to negotiate this down.

If you add this to the original €80 cost of the lever, so far it’s cost €447!!!

Worse was to come though, when returning home with their loan GS. I had to come back cross country, as their bikes don’t have the Swiss motorway vignettes (40chf), and I got caught by a police radar trap! This added another €90 to the costs, plus 3 points on my previously unblemished licence,
The killer here is that I had planned to collect my "supposedly" repaired bike at 14.00, but went in the morning, as I’d promised to take a friend over to see a used bike for sale in the afternoon. If I’d gone in the afternoon as planned, I wouldn’t have taken that road, and wouldn’t have got a speeding ticket!
And the sad tale continues. Despite promising to take a switch off a shop bike yesterday so I could collect it today, it seems they changed their mind, as it would involve another €15 of labour charges, and as the part they ordered hadn’t arrived, the bike is still there, and they don’t open again until Tuesday.

Each time I go there it takes 1 ˝ hours, €13 of petrol, and €5 in motorway tolls. I told them that it should have been repaired for Friday as they had promised, and that returning their loan bike today and having to go back again next week would mean TWO trips instead of one, and doubling up on petrol and motorway costs, and bearing in mind that I’d already spent fortunes and they’d not fixed it yet after 3 visits, that I would prefer to keep their bike, which they finally agreed to!

So what have we learnt here?
1) The process BMW use to identify non functioning cruise controls misses an obvious check of the switch behind the lever, and “forces” the dealer to do a major stripdown.
2) Mechanics follow the diagnostic process to the letter, without the seeming ability to use lateral thinking or consider alternative possibilities to those in their written process manuals
3) I won’t be fitting ANY new parts to this bike in the foreseeable future
4) I will be writing to Wunderlich to suggest they amend their fitting instructions
5) ANY problems are bloody expensive, and I hate them.
6) €500+(incl speeding fine)in total costs for a “mistake” in fitting a lever is an horrendous price to pay
7) When lucks against you it just stacks up one thing after another
8) I’m going to be paranoid about my licence for the next few weeks
9) Bikes without all these electric gizmos used to be fun and didn’t break down so often. Maybe I should stick to my Blackbird, no gadgets to fail there!

I hope this sorry tale is a warning for anyone else considering fitment of accessories. I hadn’t thought I’d damaged anything and ended up with a mega bill. Take care with your add-ons!!

I'm living proof of the old adage "the older I get the faster I was"

blog

AlpineBiker Tours
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 2009, 10:11 am
Veteran

Needed them "urgently" for a tour??? Yeeesh, your version of what's "urgent" and mine are light-years apart.

Gilly

"No problem is so big or so complicated that it can't be run away from"

Dark Graphite: Making bikes faster for over 40 years.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 2009, 11:24 am

Location: Dublin / Belfast, Dublin / Down, Ireland / Northern Ireland
Good call Gilly - was thinking that myself! I take it the bike would have still stopped without the new levers?!!!!

Whilst it all adds up to a crappy experience and I'm sorry for your pain, it still made me giggle a little (sorry) when you got done for speeding and blamed it on your mate!!

I know it might feel like the whole world's against you when things are going like this but I don't think it was your choice of road that got you the ticket - more your choice of speed!!

Not trying to rub it in but get a sense of perspective dude!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 2009, 12:24 pm Thread Starter

Having paid for the parts and waited for over one month, I expected them to supply them. As it happens, I find the OE brake lever a stretch as I have small hands, therefore with a 4000km tour coming up, I would have appreciated the multi-adjustability of the new levers for that tour, so used the "needed urgently" for a tour as a spur for them to get their arses into gear. I consider one month is already unreasonable to wait, especially when there is no-one answering a phone and all you get is an email 3 days later if you're lucky. Amazing how threatening to cancel the order jumps companies into action, just a shame in this case they sent the wrong parts again.

The whole of this story from start to finish shows that due to a random set of circumstances life takes a certain path. Think of the film "CRASH" and you get the idea. My perspective is fine, just a little off centre due to a few days of hassle and great expense.

It was interesting, talking of perspectives, to note that the French Gendarmes found it amusing that it was a BMW that had been speeding, and a GS at that, guess they don't get too many? I was caught at 128kph in a 90kph zone. This was reduced to 121kph after allowing for speedo error. 31kph over the limit is €90 if paid in 3 days, €135 if not, and if you take over 45 days it increases to €375!

Based on the fact its probably 5 years and nearly 100,000kms since my last ticket (Austria 2004) I paid without complaint. Lifes a bitch sometimes, c'est la vie.

I'm living proof of the old adage "the older I get the faster I was"

blog

AlpineBiker Tours
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 2009, 4:39 am
Veteran

Maybe the levers make the bike faster...........

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 2009, 5:54 am

Location: Dublin / Belfast, Dublin / Down, Ireland / Northern Ireland
Now stop poking him Gilly - enough is enough!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 2009, 10:01 am
Noob

Ah well Alpine thats life!!. Lurching from one chaotic catastrophe to another is a way of life to me, and as far as i recall i don't think iv'e ever been at fault...honest .
The point you make about the reach of the clutch lever is too true. I had no problem with the RT1200 but the 1300GT is a stretch even on the best setting. Iv'e just ordered some variable levers, so thanks for the heads up on fitting.

Just changed my reg plate for a personal plate ( T2 AKO) and noticed the original issue plate from the dealer had two letters reversed.....iv'e never been caught speeding on camera on this bike yet...wonder why ...Tempting fate now arn't i
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 2009, 2:18 pm
Enthusiast

There are a lot of people that add things to their bikes as "must have's" or no one would be buying the crap. This is just one of those lessons learned things, I've got a list a mile long and every speeding ticket I got was not blamed on the reason I was on the road. Pure and simple it was speeding, not when or where or why, that's not relevant. Pay the tax for being allowed to go too fast and move on.

I'd just sort the bike out, chalk it up to experience and move on but remind others to pay attention to the little things that can get bent out of shape when changing out equipment. I've been down the Moto Guzzi, owner is responsible for sorting out manufacturing defects, the Dodge, how did that get so out of alignment (use foot to align) and the countless parts that were off 1/8 of an inch when the hole was drilled. However, with the dealer you cannot blame yourself 100%, and half the time they are not there as your friends, ergo "they all do that" becomes a mantra for "the jokes on you."

So don't rag on the poor guy, he's just venting and this site is full of venting. If we were at a hangout I'd say the conversation would go more along the lines of fixing the problem but since we're virtual, time to pile on. Not so good this time of year. Good thing I have large hands and callouses to make the levers painless.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 2009, 6:33 pm
Veteran

OTOH, I know I have experienced the feeling of relief when I have been riding with the cruise set at an acceptably high speed (5-10mph over the limit) and had a cop go the other way. I remember thinking "I wonder what my warp factor would have been without the cruise?". So to a certain extent I can "sort of" see the point in blaming the levers on the speed violation. Still a bit of a stretch to blame the ticket on the lever though. You can blame it on the fact you had to ride to the dealer over it, but hard to justify the lever itself, just because that's what killed your cruise control.

Gilly

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 2009, 7:08 pm
IBR# 366

Quote:
Originally Posted by acko
. . . noticed the original issue plate from the dealer had two letters reversed.....iv'e never been caught speeding on camera on this bike yet...wonder why ...
Uh, I think maybe I'd just keep the old plate on . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

Last edited by Meese; Nov 29th, 2009 at 8:12 pm.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode