Garmin Help (Music) Converting CDS to MP3s - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 2009, 2:56 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Question Garmin Help (Music) Converting CDS to MP3s

Hello to all. I purchased a BMW Motorrad Nav IV GPS (the Garmin 660 unit). I would like to listen to MP3s loaded on the GPS. I uploaded all my CDS into Windows and the songs of each CD are saved as wma files. Help! I don't know how to do the following:

1. Convert the wma files to MP3 files and

2. Transfer the MP3s onto the Garmin using the file architecture of

Artist
Albums
Songs of each Album

I would greatly appreciate an education from the young, the old and wise or anyone in between! Regards, Molecule
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 2009, 4:06 pm

Molecule

This is real short advise. You need to visit the Microsoft Media Player web site or try the "help" function of your media player. There you should see that if you have versions 9 or 10, you can "rip" your CD music to MP3 format. Here is a clue:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...r/faq/rip.mspx

As far as the Artist, Albums, Songs,... organization. Don't worry about it. That is a function of tagging in the MP3 files themselves. The Garmin or most any MP3 player will group them in these categories for playback purposes.

Good luck in getting your music organized, and I'm sure you will enjoy the Garmin as well.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 2009, 5:09 pm
Veteran

There are a myriad of mp3 rippers out there. Do a search for "ripping a cd to mp3" or anything similar in Google and you'll find tons of info.

The one bit of advice I will give you that is specific to the Zumo units, (and probably others too)...when you rip your music make sure that you tag and organize it correctly as you mention. Tags will be a function of the ripping software itself and once set should be OK. You will tell your "ripping" software what tags to use. These tags are then used to tell your player what the album, artist, song etc are.

How you organize your music into folders will greatly affect the speed at which your unit boots up and finds it. You will also set this up when you initially set up what ever ripping software. If you just put 100's of songs in one folder it takes a while to boot up. But if you organize into individual folders using the band names and then put several of their albums into the one folder the Zumo will access that music quicker. Also on the 550 at least I think there is a 1000 song limit. Seems like somewhere back when I had to delete down below that level to see all the music I had on a couple of cards.

Do the work on your PC and transfer to a card and then put that card in your Zumo, much quicker than a USB transfer.

It's all a lot easier than it sounds. Once you do it a couple of times it will make sense.

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 2009, 5:18 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Thanks for the Pointers

Hi, Rainman and Robert W: Thanks for the help. I loaded Windows Media Player 11 (thanks for the kind link!) and the process worked perfectly! I will take Robert's advice and check if the "tags" are sufficient for my purposes. Thanks for the advice on the "card". I will go out and buy one soon. This forum is just great. While I am sure you folks "understand" all things computer, this is a new world for me and I appreciate your patient and kind help. Hopefully, I can assist the community in some way in the future. Best regard, Molecule
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 2009, 6:59 pm
Veteran

I'll add another.

Download the MP3 software tool called "MP3 Gain" from here.

This will keep your volume at the same level so you don't need to constantly turn it up or down via the screen or buttons which I detest while riding as I have to stare at the unit too much to make the setting. In use, I set mine higher than the default of 89 to 95-96 and watch for clipping (the program will throw a small red "Y" letter up if the songs are clipping (i.e. exceed maximum volume causing distortion). You can adjust those individually with Sound Forge or Gold Wave (but they cost with SF being lots of $$$$). The lower number of 89 compresses the file's high notes and vocal consonant's too much for my audiophile-quality in-ear phones and it doesn't sound as nice.

If you store all of your MP3's in one folder, you can do them all at once with the program on your PC, or spend more time if they are in different folders. Then transfer them all to the GPS in smaller units and preferably on the card itself and not via the cable to the GPS, doing so at maybe 10 files at a time. Sometimes, Windows will choke on a large file transfer if your computer doesn't have sufficient resources or you are running and older operating system. A corrupt MP3 file will really slow the Garmin GPS load time down and it might skip that file or jump out of it while playing.

I do a lot of other stuff to the files too like strip out all the Track Numbers which aren't needed and slow it down or confuse it, and make the album art small in size than what is normally used (I use 300x300 and less than 22KB in size via Paint Shop Pro). I don't know if Windows Media Player's album art attaches directly to the file playing or not, but I recall it used to use a separate art folder or something rather than placing it in the file itself. Dunno about the new one though.

Have fun with the new toy.

Mack
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 2009, 9:33 am
Veteran

Mack.....the terms "audiophile" and "MP3s" don't belong on the same page.......not to bring up same age old argument, as MP3's do have their place.....but they inherently SUCK!

There should be way more support for loss less formats in devices then there is. FLAC is great. The world is losing an entire generation to dumbed down music.

Just sayin'.....

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 2009, 11:57 am
IBR# 366

I find that within the limitations of the noisy motorcycle environment, mp3's are "good enough." If I want better sound, I'll stay home.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_W
The world is losing an entire generation to dumbed down music.
True enough, but I think that has more to do with the "quality" of modern music and "entertainment" than the format . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 2009, 1:03 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meese
I find that within the limitations of the noisy motorcycle environment, mp3's are "good enough." If I want better sound, I'll stay home.
True enough, but I think that has more to do with the "quality" of modern music and "entertainment" than the format . . .
Oh yeah, I totally agree about MP3's and the bike. Like I said they have their place. Just not in my living room.

There are still enough of us audio geeks out here that enjoy good quality sound that at least in my life time I hope it doesn't all become over compressed big record company crap.

One of the things I like best about the internet is its ability to allow what would have other wise been a completely unknown artist to release their music. And a lot of them think the same way as far as audio formats and better sound.

It's really kind of depressing to think that there are so many people that will never experience music to its fullest range. It's one of the finer things in life.

We had a shot a few years back with DVD-A and SACD to really improve things, but it didn't happen. Another corporate war that ended up with every body losing. Wonderful formats if you can still find them though. Mostly I just rip everything to FLAC and throw it on a server. Took me the better part of a year but I have almost a Terra bites worth of CD's stored. Back all the data up and sell the CD's on Amazon. Use the $$ to buy farkles! It's amazing what people will buy.

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 2009, 1:52 pm
Addict-oholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_W
Oh yeah, I totally agree about MP3's and the bike. Like I said they have their place. Just not in my living room.

There are still enough of us audio geeks out here that enjoy good quality sound that at least in my life time I hope it doesn't all become over compressed big record company crap.

One of the things I like best about the internet is its ability to allow what would have other wise been a completely unknown artist to release their music. And a lot of them think the same way as far as audio formats and better sound.

It's really kind of depressing to think that there are so many people that will never experience music to its fullest range. It's one of the finer things in life.

We had a shot a few years back with DVD-A and SACD to really improve things, but it didn't happen. Another corporate war that ended up with every body losing. Wonderful formats if you can still find them though. Mostly I just rip everything to FLAC and throw it on a server. Took me the better part of a year but I have almost a Terra bites worth of CD's stored. Back all the data up and sell the CD's on Amazon. Use the $$ to buy farkles! It's amazing what people will buy.
Don't advertise your selling the CD's that you are"backing up". I think the recording industry is going after individuals that are circumventing their music license...
just saying .......

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 2009, 2:56 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrykay
Don't advertise your selling the CD's that you are"backing up". I think the recording industry is going after individuals that are circumventing their music license...
just saying .......
Nothing illegal at all about what I'm doing Larry. Totally legit to sell the hard copy of a CD that you buy. Amazon and every used record store on the planet would be in the RIAA's sites if it wasn't. It's when you rip and sell the files multiple (1000's) of times that they get pissed of and go after people. The whole torrent peer to peer thing. I don't host a server, just save the music to one for my own use.

There's an entire industry built around what I'm doing. Amazon has literally millions of used CD's and videos that people sell after backing them up. As long as you don't turn around and sell those files for profit I don't think there's squat they can do. It's your music to do what you want with. That's why ripping to FLAC is so great. Lossless and no Apple of Microsuck DRM. It's mine once I buy it and I'll do what I want with it. I will never purchase anything with DRM...period. But unfortunately too many people do and accept big brother controlling their lives. Itunes sucks. (anarchy in MT anyone? )

Besides, I can't stand paying 15 to 20 bucks for 10 cents worth of plastic that the artist sees almost none of the $$ from. I would much rather go to an artists web site and pay them directly.

The music industry as we knew it is a dinosaur and dying quickly. For better or worse the digital age is here.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode