Engine Breaking and Clutch Wear Advice - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 2009, 9:26 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Engine Breaking and Clutch Wear Advice

I had lunch today with five motorcycle buddies (all over 55 and long term riders) and one bud, a Goldwing rider, just had his clutch replaced at 45,000 miles. He told me that I should limit downshifting for braking and use the brakes instead because break pads are a lot cheaper than a clutch. I always downshift to brake (its fun). Any opinions on this issue? My 04 RT had 45,000 miles and no clutch issues. How much does a clutch replacement cost and is this a real issue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 2009, 9:54 pm
JCW
contributor

Clutch pack goes for about $800. The basket seems to wear on the new K-bikes as well which is another $800. Replace the throwout bearing, gasket, nonreuseable bolts and the total without labor can be $2000, list price.

'06 K1200R- in pieces
'73 Honda CB500F- slow but fun.
'77 Yamaha XS 750 triple- kinda
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 2009, 9:55 pm
Veteran

I don't think it's an issue, plus a clutch job is a lot cheaper than a trip to the ER.
Stop however you feel comfortable. I do engine brake, no idea what this rocket scientist is talking about, "don't engine brake", yeeesh.
Gilly

"No problem is so big or so complicated that it can't be run away from"

Dark Graphite: Making bikes faster for over 40 years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 2009, 10:54 pm
Addict

With the high compression of the KGT engine, I get plenty of engine BRAKING (note spelling) in most gears without downshifting. Racing the engine to match rpm's and gears just wastes gas and generates wear. It is fun though and we can pretend we are Valentino Rossi.

2008 K1200GT, Custom Paint, Vivid Black, Aeroflow WS & Aeroguards, Givi E52 Maxia Topcase w/AdMore Lighting, Zumo 660, Suburban Footpeg Lowering, Sargent Seat

2009 R1200GS Adventure, Magnesium Grey/Black, Adventure Cases, Zumo 660, Touratech Unobtanium Accessories

1974 Norton Commando 850 Soon to be a restoration project
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 2009, 11:20 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhendrick
With the high compression of the KGT engine, I get plenty of engine BRAKING (note spelling) in most gears without downshifting. ...
You're not riding it nearly hard enough then....

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 2009, 12:39 am
Telepathetic

How much clutch wear is going to happen in the 3/100th's of a second that the clutch is used to downshift? Every track school I have attended teaches high rpm's and engine braking are your friend when you need to stop. In daily riding I apply the brake sparingly. With 50K miles on the original clutch and brake pads I guess this works for me.

Darrel
'06 GT - Blue
85K on the clock
_'07 GS - Yeller
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 2009, 6:56 am

Clutch braking

If the clutch is properly engaged (match revs) and you're engine braking there is minimal clutch wear.

If you are using the clutch to synch the revs to wheel speed that's a different issue.

Besides its fun to blip the throttle on the way down.

K1300GT
R1200GSA
R90S
R80 G/S PD
R75/5
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 2009, 10:26 am
JCW
contributor

If you had a slipper clutch, sometimes it will accelerate wear.

'06 K1200R- in pieces
'73 Honda CB500F- slow but fun.
'77 Yamaha XS 750 triple- kinda
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 2009, 8:10 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhendrick
Racing the engine to match rpm's and gears just wastes gas and generates wear. It is fun though and we can pretend we are Valentino Rossi.
Besides being much smoother, matching engine speed to wheel speed is going to be much easier on the clutch.

James

’06 K1200R Corbin w/ smuggler, Wilbers shocks, PCIII, Factory Pro Dyno tuned, CC Suspension plates, Vario levers, Dual Evo filters, Leo Vince SBK, V1, Zumo 550

’02 WR250F Stock

’99 SV650 GSX-R front end, Aftershocks suspension, Penske shock, 41mm FCR flat slides, Bridgestone slicks, M4 exhaust, Vortex clipons, Woodcraft rearsets, Hot Bodies race bodywork, Factory Pro clutch cover, Total Loss ignition, BRG relocated battery, APE Adjustable Cam sprockets, JE 13:1 pistons, mild porting, balanced crank, Sunoco 110 race fuel

’98 KLX331 Race Tech suspension, 331 Stroker big bore kit, 33mm pumper, Tag bars, Stroker exhaust, IMS desert tank, tall seat foam w/ Stroker cover, Open air box, KX clutch
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 2009, 11:15 am
Cruisin the MidAtlantic joyfully

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkbait
Besides being much smoother, matching engine speed to wheel speed is going to be much easier on the clutch.
Blipping the throttle on a downshift is just basic good riding technique. If you release the clutch in a downshift with a large mismatch between revs and wheel speed, you will unsettle the rear end of the bike, like stabbing the rear brake hard. Not fun on a curve or on slick surfaces. The reduced clutch wear is just the gravy.

wintermute
'08 BMW K1200GT
'10 Ducati 1198 S Corse
'10 Ducati Streetfighter S

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode