Service on your bikes (happy or pissed off) ? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 2009, 3:47 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Service on your bikes (happy or pissed off) ?

Generally speaking how are you overall satisfied with the level of service given by your dealers ? Is BMW/their dealers responsive to warranty work or does it take threatening calls to get things done? How far do you have to drive to get to a dealer ?

Thanks in advance for helping me out as I make my decision for my next bike!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 2009, 4:11 pm
IBR# 366

Like any other brand, there are great dealers and average dealers. I'm lucky in that my closest dealer is one of the good ones, and has been very supportive of proven warranty issues.

While an random poll of how folks feel might give you a general trend, what really matters is how your local dealer(s) treat you.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 2009, 4:31 pm
Veteran

It's very dependent on the dealer and their service manager.

I've dealt with around 8-9 dealers in CA and NV. Some are great. Some not. Some will blatantly lie to your face. Some are "Warranty lazy" (i.e. "They all do that" or "It takes time to break it in," etc.). Sometimes it's a personality clash. High employee turn-over in the shop is bad too as in "I just started working here and..." ergo, "I don't know what to do." Then there are those that promise the moon in the sales department and then fall flat when service is finally needed, even if it has been scheduled and your bike subsequently sits in their shop a month.

You might want to look at the "Dealer Experience" part of this site for more info. If you got one bad one in your area and not much else to choose from, you may need to do a lot of stuff yourself like change tires and minor stuff. An aggravating dealer can sure push one away from the marque quickly, more so if they are local.

Good luck.

Mack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 2009, 5:59 pm

I live in Jersey and the guys at Cross Country BMW do all my service. I've tried a couple of other shops earlier on when I first started riding BMW's but after the first time I went there they made all the other shops look like amateurs!

I'll never buy another bike or part off of them but I'll also never go anywhere else for service.

2009 K1300GT
My Photo Site
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 2009, 6:43 pm
Addict

My dealer is stellar, period. I'm lucky I guess.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 2009, 7:28 am

I've always been pleased with my dealer even after a location move and some personnel changes

"08 K1200GT
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 2009, 8:09 am
Sooper Dooper Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meese
Like any other brand, there are great dealers and average dealers. I'm lucky in that my closest dealer is one of the good ones, and has been very supportive of proven warranty issues.

While an random poll of how folks feel might give you a general trend, what really matters is how your local dealer(s) treat you.
In my opinion, this is the perfect answer. I live 20 minutes from my dealer, Irv Seaver BMW in Orange, California, and they've been friendly, helpful, and responsive throughout my several years of relationship with them. But what's important to YOU is YOUR closest dealer, and it might be worthwhile to go there when you have some time to hang out a while, and sit with a rider or two who is having his bike worked on. They'll give you an earful, for good or bad. Heck, post again on this board in the dealer forum and ask people here. Don't take just one answer as being representative, get several. There's always going to be an unhappy camper, even at the best dealership.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 2009, 12:38 pm
Addict

I had used CalBMW in Mountain View, Califonia for years. The owner and service rep knew my name and said hi when I wallked in. Then an upgrade/remodel happened and the place changed. Service manager gone, owner....rarely seen. I was shopping for the GT and asked the only guy around in the sales area some questions. Said he was just the finance guy and didn't know much. I should ask service. Go to ask service and the Service Manager asks where's my bike. I don't have one. Just asking about different service/tech items. She tells me she can't asnwer questions and I should buy a service manual. What? Buy a manual for a possible future purchased bike??? Not. Oh the service manager is gone now.

Someone suggested SanJose BMW so I have now gone there.
Seems the first Service Manager there wasn't much better. I had them install a AutoCom which they sell. Well they screwed that up big time (drained battery) and told me I told them to do it that way. That SM is gone now too.

I do as much maintenance as I can.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 2009, 1:10 pm

Max BMW (NH Store) outstanding!

2009 KGT1300 Apple Red (mine)
2008 RT Biarritz Blue (mine - sold)
2005 ST Piedmont Red/Light Magnesium (hers)
Luis Roth
BMWMOA #143775 IBA# 35651
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 2009, 5:51 pm
2 heads are better than 1

I deal with San Jose BMW and they have been a fantastic shop to work with, and have been my exclusive dealer for the last 11 years. I have also had good experiences working with BMW NA via their Customer Relations group on a number of issues.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 BMW R1200RT Polar Metallic
2008 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S Red (of course)

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode