600 Mile Service... - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 2009, 2:17 am Thread Starter

600 Mile Service...

Well last Thursday I had my 600 mile service completed. Two issues that I identified to the service department were: #1) After riding the bike for any period of time and then stopping and restarting it the "Battery" icon appears and stays on for 5 to 10 seconds then goes out. It never reappears while riding the bike. Dealership did a load test on battery and it checked out ok. Also, no stored fault codes were found. Issue #2) On a couple of occasions the "Oil Level Indicator" display does not show the "Check Mark" but the "- - -" symbol. No other error condition lights appear on the display and when I step through the "INFO" selections again the "Check Mark" appears.

Question: Have any of you seen either one of these conditions?
Service department said they opened a "ticket" with BMW.

* Service guy asked if I had a battery tender... I told him, "Yes, the BMW one and it has been plugged in since I got the bike". What I've noticed with the tender is that it cycles through all the stages and then settles on the 3/3 mode (maintenance mode) after 3-4 hours. It does this regardless of which "plug-in" method I use. (That is just plugging the charger into the the bikes accessory power outlet, then the AC power or using the the "key on-off" method.) Dealer said that cycling the key is not required, just plug it in.

* My owner's manual a print date is: 10/2008 - 1st Edition and on the back cover it states "BMW recommends CASTROL". I asked what oil was used for the 600 mile service and was told it was BMW's 5W-40 Synthetic oil.

* Now there is one thing that I would really like to change and that is the poorly designed gas cap. What were they thinking? Give me a regular cap instead of one that only opens 90 degrees and it should open towards the front of the bike!!! With the California vapor control boots on the gas nozzles it's a pain in the arse! I did pull the six gas cap/lid cover bolts off to see if the cap could be rotated 180 deg. so that it would flip towards the front but retaining ring is not symmetrical. Not sure if you pull the top tank body work off if the gas cap retaining ring could be turned to allow the cap to flip forward. Sure would make filling the bike up a lot easier!

* Oh, and I added a little "bling". Removed the big old dealer black plastic license plate frame. Picked up some stainless steel bolts and buffed them out before mounting the new chrome frame.

* And last but not least... THIS BIKE IS AWESOME!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	003.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	341.8 KB
ID:	11363  

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
1980 FXB STURGIS
2010 K1300 GT

2011 K1300 S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 2009, 4:47 am
Veteran

It seems like your major concerns are the first 2?

I have no batt tender and that light never comes on. I wonder if mine works? Yeah, it comes on at startup and that's it.

The dashed lines means you haven';t met the parameters yet for the oil to be checked, usually waiting a minute or less will get it checked off, assuming the engine is warmed up enough. All in the book.

There are places that sell a normal, unscrew-to-open billet fuel caps, OH I don't know if they work with the 1300 though. I just have a measly 1200 and I know I could replace it, BUT since I live here in the midwest we have no vapor recover pumps, sooooo.....
BUT I did visit Cali once on my K75S around 1990 or so, so I do know what a pain that is with a bike.
I do believe I saw some sort of adapter which will work to make the refuelling of a bike easier, some sort of a plastic cone thing you whip out when you refuel?

Germans do not "do" bling....

Gilly

"No problem is so big or so complicated that it can't be run away from"

Dark Graphite: Making bikes faster for over 40 years.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 2009, 5:24 am
IBR# 366

Hi Bruce. Glad you're still enjoying the shiny new bike. Let's see if we can address some of your concerns.

The battery icon is most likely just showing it recharging after the heavy load from starting the bike. If the battery load tested OK, then nothing to worry about. Note that many riders have changed to an Odyssey PC680MJ AGM battery, which is far superior to the factory battery and spins the motor up much faster, especially under high load conditions such as when the engine is still hot from the last run. But I don't think I'd change it at 600 miles unless you're having a noticeable problem.

In order for the Oil Level Indicator to work, the bike must be warmed up, level, and at idle. After a minute or so, you should see the Check Mark. The - - - just means it doesn't yet have a current reading. Sometimes, I'll get the check mark while waiting at a particularly long stop light, but not at shorter stops. You can also check the oil level by looking at the oil dipstick located under the seat, or by looking at the clear tube running alongside the oil tank on the right side of the bike. In both cases, the bike should be warmed up but not running.

Some owners have had trouble with the BMW charger hooking up to the CanBus correctly, which is why they recommend the plugging in and cycling the key method. Done consistently, that seems to work every time. The other option is to hook up a charger pigtail directly to the battery, thus bypassing the CanBus altogether. Many riders use this for heated clothing, but I have mine fused for 20 amps so I can run a small air compressor when needed.

BMW has changed its engine oil recommendations several times already, mostly in an ineffectual attempt to quiet squeaky clutches. Just go with whatever the latest recommendation is from your dealer so that you can blame them in the very unlikely event that something oil related goes wrong. Note that I've had all manner of different oil brands and weights over the past 115K miles on my '07 GT, and I've never had an oil-realted issue.

I've modified my gas cap to not only not need a key, but also to flip forward. I can put you in contact with the fellow that makes the keyless kits if you're interested. As to the flipping forward, I did have to remove the gas tank cover bodywork and then cut a section out of the lower gas cap mounting ring to allow the hinge side of the gas cap to fit forward. Some riders also drill vent holes inside the filler neck to be able to fill faster without backsplash and to get a bit of extra fuel into the tank. Drilled in the right location, you can get an extra 1/2 gallon in there.

Well, one thing I do like about the Beemers is that there's no chrome on them at all. I spend more time riding than washing, and no time polishing the bike at all.

And yes, we know the bike is AWESOME!!!!

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 2009, 5:47 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by K13GT
Well last Thursday I had my 600 mile service completed. Two issues that I identified to the service department were: #1) After riding the bike for any period of time and then stopping and restarting it the "Battery" icon appears and stays on for 5 to 10 seconds then goes out. It never reappears while riding the bike. Dealership did a load test on battery and it checked out ok. Also, no stored fault codes were found. Issue #2) On a couple of occasions the "Oil Level Indicator" display does not show the "Check Mark" but the "- - -" symbol. No other error condition lights appear on the display and when I step through the "INFO" selections again the "Check Mark" appears.

Question: Have any of you seen either one of these conditions?
Service department said they opened a "ticket" with BMW.
Both are normal.

If you live in California why not put the Battery Tender on the shelf and use the built-in battery charger by riding your new bike? Your battery will tolerate a few days or even a couple weeks without riding, but I don't know if I could tolerate going that long between rides if I owned a brand new K1300GT (or even my 2007 K1200GT). Eventually you may want to replace the stock BMW battery with an Odyssey PC680 or PC680MJ battery. The battery light will go out more quickly with one of those, and your need for a battery tender would probably go away altogether.
Quote:
* Now there is one thing that I would really like to change and that is the poorly designed gas cap. What were they thinking? Give me a regular cap instead of one that only opens 90 degrees and it should open towards the front of the bike!!! With the California vapor control boots on the gas nozzles it's a pain in the arse! I did pull the six gas cap/lid cover bolts off to see if the cap could be rotated 180 deg. so that it would flip towards the front but retaining ring is not symmetrical. Not sure if you pull the top tank body work off if the gas cap retaining ring could be turned to allow the cap to flip forward. Sure would make filling the bike up a lot easier!
You can buy this farkle: http://pirateslair.net/billetgascap.htm

I live in California, and don't have an issue with the stock gas cap. After the gas pump stops with a partial fill, I just pull the boot back and finish the fueling manually. It is tricky, but with a little practice, you will get used to doing it without spilling or splashing.

If you don't want to touch the boot, you might try this accessory (I have seen them for sale all over, but never tried one.):

http://www.mccuff.com/

Some KGT owners remove the internal plastic funnel, which makes it easier to use the full capacity of the tank and maybe avoid splashes. You can "top off" if you are going to be riding for a while after fueling. Beware of topping off and then parking the bike and allowing the fuel to expand.

Quote:
* Oh, and I added a little "bling". Removed the big old dealer black plastic license plate frame. Picked up some stainless steel bolts and buffed them out before mounting the new chrome frame.

* And last but not least... THIS BIKE IS AWESOME!!!!
Very true, but it is most awesome on the road; less awesome when it is attached to a battery tender...
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 2009, 12:52 pm
IBR# 366

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMagnaRider
If you don't want to touch the boot, you might try this accessory (I have seen them for sale all over, but never tried one.):

http://www.mccuff.com/
Don't bother with the McCuff thing. Waste of money.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 2009, 3:30 pm Thread Starter

Gilly, Ken, XMagnaRider

"The dashed lines means you haven';t met the parameters yet for the oil to be checked, usually waiting a minute or less will get it checked off, assuming the engine is warmed up enough. All in the book." - - - - - - Yep, read that info in the user's manual. First time I saw the "dashed lines" was after the bike had been ridden about 20 minutes, pulled over and checked the "sight tube" and even pulled the seat to check the tank. All was good. Have yet to see the dashes on initial start up, nor the "oil can" symbol.

As for filling the gas tank, I've always pulled the rubber boot back and just put the nozzle in the tank. The BMW tank has an internal funnel which pretty much means you have to insert the nozzle straight down. That wouldn't be to much of a problem if the cap/cover opened more than just 90 degrees. The cap/cover has a cone shaped seal that sits inside the funnel when closed. This "cone" sticks out over an inch and partially blocks the tank opening when using the fricken Cali gas nozzles.

"I've modified my gas cap to not only not need a key, but also to flip forward. I can put you in contact with the fellow that makes the keyless kits if you're interested. As to the flipping forward, I did have to remove the gas tank cover bodywork and then cut a section out of the lower gas cap mounting ring to allow the hinge side of the gas cap to fit forward. Some riders also drill vent holes inside the filler neck to be able to fill faster without backsplash and to get a bit of extra fuel into the tank. Drilled in the right location, you can get an extra 1/2 gallon in there." - - - - - - I'd be interested in that gas cap modification and now that you mention it I can see where drilling a small hole or two (in the tank funnel) would eliminate the air pocket at the top of the tank.

Not a real "bling" person either... like the stealthier look myself. Now if the dealer paid me or gave a little discount on parts to run his license plate frame (advertise for him) that would be a different story. So is "farkle" just electronic gizmos you add or does it also refer to "bling" stuff?

On my other bikes I have the battery tender leads directly on the battery.

Oh, a little too cold this morning to ride to work - 26deg F. and a little black ice in a few of the shady sections on some of the streets.

1980 FXB STURGIS
2010 K1300 GT

2011 K1300 S
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 2009, 3:41 pm
IBR# 366

Hey Bruce, no problem we're here to help, just as others helped us when we needed it.

If you want to get a closeup look at my gas cap mod, you could take a little ride this weekend and see it in person. I really need to take some pics and write that one up.

"Farkle" has a variety of meanings, but is usually considered a combination of Function and Sparkle. BMW riders tend to go more for the functional side, especially advanced electronics, while 'Wing and HD riders tend to go for the shinier side. Either way, it's mostly just a way to personalize your ride to fit you better.

26 isn't bad, if you have good gear including electrics. But I agree that black ice is a killer, literally. Like I say, cold doesn't bother me and wet doesn't bother me, but cold and wet together means ice, which is Very Bad.

And if you do make it down for my little talk, I'll show you what else you can do to dress up that license plate area.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 2009, 4:19 pm Thread Starter

Hi Ken,

Thanks for the invite. I've done a few Bay Area to Jamul (East of San Diego on 94) weekend trips but don't really have the "cold" weather gear for this weekend!

Never heard "farkle" used by the HD crowd, thought it was something unique from the "Motherland"!

So... are you going to "Youtube" your presentation?

Bruce

1980 FXB STURGIS
2010 K1300 GT

2011 K1300 S
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 2009, 7:26 pm
Addict

I agree with Xmagnarider the way you explain the problems they are not problems at all, they are normal operation. One suggestion dealers here on the right coast are known for putting in less oil than the full mark on the dipstick. Warm the bike up and check the oil level, remember the level is checked without screwing the plug all the way down just put it in place, remove it and check. I like to keep mine at max level on the dipstick so it's easy to see if any is missing between the 6000 mile changes. My battery lamp operates just like you described, so I'd forget about it and ride.

MOA Member #106320
2003 R1150RT Titan Silver
2008 K1200GT Dark Graphite
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 2009, 8:12 pm
Veteran

Glad you are getting things straightened out.

It would be good to get the check mark sometime. It won't go in to that oil checking mode unless you are stopped. It is POSSIBLE to end up with the bike in the oil checking mode, simply by paging through the OBC displays while rolling. I have had that happen, as have others. You won't know you have "left" it in that mode until you stop somewhere and have the dashed lines come up. It's kind of peculiar. But if you have a warm engine, when you see the dashed lines it should take less than a minute and you'll eventually get the check mark.

I didn't know the root of farkle! But took it as a general reference to any type of accessory.

That billet fuel cap that XMagnaRider linked to I do not believe will work on a 1300GT, I think they changed the way the cap attaches to the fuel tank (it's not the evenly spaced 6 screws any more). Check it out though, I believe this to be true.

I took the "-26F" literally, I thought "WOW this must be way northern Cali, and how badass IS this guy to be riding at -26F!". 26 ABOVE, now that I can do without heated clothing, although the grips and seat would definitely be on! For a trip to work anyways. I can handle high 20s for 1/2 hour WAY better than 40 degrees for 2 hours DAMHIK!

Gilly

"No problem is so big or so complicated that it can't be run away from"

Dark Graphite: Making bikes faster for over 40 years.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode