K12/1300GT HID high beams - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 10th, 2009, 3:00 pm Thread Starter
Addict

K12/1300GT HID high beams

I'm tired of how wimpy the 55W halogen high beams look when compared to the factory HID low. It seems like an easy upgrade to install an H7 HID upgrade for the high beam lamps, has anyone done this? If I use a 50-watt HID ballast will the current draw be close enough to the stock 55-watt incandescent lamps to avoid any CANbus issues?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 10th, 2009, 4:05 pm

I to have the wimpy Halogen. Hope that you get a positive reponse.

David J.
Dallas, TX
2006K1200GT (Heidi)
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 10th, 2009, 4:17 pm
IBR# 366

The high beams can be updated to HID. The main issue is that the CanBus assumes that you don't actually need high beams when stopped, so it cuts the high beam voltage down under 10 volts when you're not moving, meaning the high beams won't fire up (which is really confusing if you're bench testing the HIDs in your garage). Once you're actually riding the voltage goes back up to normal and the HIDs will fire just fine.

Some folks get worried about the ability to "flash" their HIDs at other motorists. That never bothered me for three reasons. First, even before an HID fully warms up (which only takes a few seconds), it's already brighter than a halogen bulb. Second, I had a low beam HID in my LT for over 100K miles and it worked just fine through all of those on/off cycles. And third, I pretty much never flash at other motorists, so it never seemed like a problem to me.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

Last edited by Meese; Feb 20th, 2010 at 12:37 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 10th, 2009, 4:31 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meese
The high beams can be updated to HID. The main issue is that the CanBus assumes that you don't actually need high beams when stopped, so it cuts the high beam voltage down under 10 volts when you're not moving, meaning the high beams won't fire up (which is really confusing if you're bench testing the HIDs in your garage). Once you're actually riding the voltage goes back up to normal and the HIDs will fire just fine.
That's strange, can't image why the ZFE module would do that expect perhaps it's trying to conserve as much power as possible at idle when alternator output is low. But even at that most HID ballast will work down to 9 volts so maybe they wouldn't even care, and even if they do it doesn't really matter if the high beams turn off when stopped anyway. I am more concerned about having to look at a 'lamp out' indicator all the time because the ZFE is confused by what it sees (HID ballast instead of incandescent load.) But the current draw should be very close so maybe it won't care... maybe someone has tried it and knows for sure..?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 10th, 2009, 4:39 pm

Ken,

What HID brand do you recommend for the GT?

David J.
Dallas, TX
2006K1200GT (Heidi)
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 10th, 2009, 7:41 pm
Strafist

There are some great write ups on the HID install for the GT in the Hall of Wisdom (HOW).

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 10th, 2009, 8:29 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
There are some great write ups on the HID install for the GT in the Hall of Wisdom (HOW).
I looked at those but they were all concerning either an HID upgrade for the main headlight or about external lights. I'm looking specifically for information on upgrading the two stock H7 high beams... I would guess that this is pretty much plug-and-play (other than finding room for two ballasts which might be kind of tight, and possibly any ZFE issues.)

Surely someone has done this (swapped H7 HID lamps into the stock high beams)..?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 10th, 2009, 9:29 pm
IBR# 366

All three lamps on the GT are H7, so a high beam upgrade is the same as a low beam upgrade, except that you have to find room for two ballasts.

I managed to squeeze five ballasts into my GT, so it's not as hard as you might think.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 10th, 2009, 9:39 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Quote:
All three lamps on the GT are H7, so a high beam upgrade is the same as a low beam upgrade, except that you have to find room for two ballasts.
Yes, that's true, but what I'm kind of looking for is any comments on how HID lamps work with the stock high beam reflectors. But I do notice that none of the upgrade articles mention any CANbus/ZFE issues so perhaps it's safe to assume that there won't be any. I'm just focusing on that because I believe I remember reading of people doing HID upgrades on R1200 bikes that seemed to have such issues.

Quote:
I managed to squeeze five ballasts into my GT, so it's not as hard as you might think.
Well that's some good news...
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 10th, 2009, 10:04 pm

I changed my low beam to HID in the spring of this year and it was a piece of cake to change it. I found a write-up, I think on this forum and had no problem to install it. You have to take the windshield, front housing and headlamp out to do it the right way, but it is way worth it. now I am not even turning my Piaa's lights on at night, and for the price of about $ 80.00 you just can't beat it. I would recommend it to anybody who has problems seeing at night driving. Never received a fault on my canbus either.

Let me know if I can help in any way.

RideSafe

2007 K1200GT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode