Power FRK anybody? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 2009, 9:39 am Thread Starter
Addict

Power FRK anybody?

does it do any good? i mean is there any improvent in overall response at low rpm? i know this engine is what it is and you'll never get the response of a big twin out of it but just asking if it worth spending $300 for that thing.

2010 R1200RT
2009 X6
2010 X1
former and future k owner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 2009, 10:20 am
JCW
contributor

It basically modifies the intake air temp sensor reading. By "tricking" the computer to believe it is cold, the OEM ecu will increase fuel and more importantly advance timing. The FRK does this in a rather interesting way though. Implied through the description, I think it senses rapidly increasing rpms through the power supply and only modifies the signal on acceleration, leaving the fueling/timing normal at other times.

I'm not certain of this, however.

If anyone plans on getting it in the US, though. Please exercise caution if purchasing it from the US distributor PowerFRK. Same people that run FosterRad. People have had issues with him. Not everyone. But some people have had major problems with customer service.

http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?...ight=fosterrad

http://www.vfrworld.com/forums/modif....html#post1617

'06 K1200R- in pieces
'73 Honda CB500F- slow but fun.
'77 Yamaha XS 750 triple- kinda
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 2009, 11:07 am
IBR# 366

Doru, yes, the PowerFRK works. There is a noticeable increase in smoothness and low-speed stability, and the hesitation or flat spot around 3,500 rpms is just gone.

Read this thread and this thread and this thread for more details.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 2009, 12:27 pm
Addict

I find the manufacturer's claims of how the unit works to be very suspicious (they claim to sense AC ripple on the IAT input which doesn't make a lot of sense, nor am I sure of how the device even gets power since there is none on those two wires, etc.) plus their dyno charts show completely unrealistic gains. There does seem to be a long list of believers though (although there is also a long list of believers of gas line magnets that align fuel molecules.) By that I'm not saying that the FRK is a scam, only that subjective reports are notoriously inaccurate. I'd like to see some truly objective testing if any exists.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 2009, 12:48 pm
JCW
contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller
I find the manufacturer's claims of how the unit works to be very suspicious (they claim to sense AC ripple on the IAT input which doesn't make a lot of sense, nor am I sure of how the device even gets power since there is none on those two wires, etc.) plus their dyno charts show completely unrealistic gains. There does seem to be a long list of believers though (although there is also a long list of believers of gas line magnets that align fuel molecules.) By that I'm not saying that the FRK is a scam, only that subjective reports are notoriously inaccurate. I'd like to see some truly objective testing if any exists.
This has been in use for years.

Tesla's gtech meter has used this type of rpm measurement for years. It is valid.

'06 K1200R- in pieces
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 2009, 1:11 pm
Addict

I'm not questioning the concept of using AC ripple to measure rpm, I know that is commonly done. I was questioning how much AC ripple there would be on a thermistor input to the ECU. And in any event I can't measure any DC bias on that line so how would the FRK be powered?
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 2009, 1:15 pm
JCW
contributor

The input power line is the same. Just a smaller gauge wire. Otherwise the voltage and variations should be the same magnitude.

The tesla units measure ac through the cigarette lighter.

Here's a dyno chart from a member over on i-bmw for his r1200s...
<can't find it right now, I'll look for it later>

'06 K1200R- in pieces

Last edited by JCW; Dec 14th, 2009 at 1:25 pm.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 2009, 1:42 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCW
The input power line is the same. Just a smaller gauge wire. Otherwise the voltage and variations should be the same magnitude.

The tesla units measure ac through the cigarette lighter.
The two sources are not the same at all. The cigarette lighter is connected to the main 12-volt supply of the vehicle and the IAT input is a buffered sensor input to the ECU. The former has AC ripple on it from the alternator and the latter does not.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 2009, 2:55 pm
JCW
contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller
The two sources are not the same at all. The cigarette lighter is connected to the main 12-volt supply of the vehicle and the IAT input is a buffered sensor input to the ECU. The former has AC ripple on it from the alternator and the latter does not.
What do you mean buffered 12V signal? How is it buffered?

Where do you see that 12V signal that pass through the ECU cannot be read for AC signals? Circuits allow small variations in voltage without buffering them necessarily. And if they are "buffered" then the reference voltage will still have the slight AC variations in them. They are present in all power lines of the system. Unless the ECU has it's own power source free of these variations.

Believe what you want I guess. It's not that important for me to prove it to you. I just think it's an elegant twist on the simple resistor to the iat signal. I guess someone could test it, but from what I've seen on this and the other bmw site, people that use it are happy. I'll dig up that dyno chart when I get home...

'06 K1200R- in pieces
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 2009, 3:31 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCW
What do you mean buffered 12V signal? How is it buffered?.
I didn't say buffered 12-volt signal. There is no voltage at all on the IAT input. And by buffered I mean isolated from the supply voltage, as inputs usually are.

I'm not sure why but it seems that people like to make the assumption that since the FRK allegedly works then whatever conditions that could somehow enable it to work must be present, instead of (more correctly) looking at it the other way.

I'm not trying to say anyone is wrong or insult anyone, just asking some questions. But even that seems to be heresy vs. the known fact that the FRK solves all running problems (and even some cam chain rattle as I remember reading.) Maybe it does work, I'm only saying that there's a lot of room for healthy skepticism given the manufacturer's rather tortured explanation. That's all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCW
Believe what you want I guess.
Well I guess I'm in good company... on the subject of the FRK there's a lot of people believing what they want...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode