BMW Motorrad Maintenance Charger Manual - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 2009, 12:34 pm Thread Starter

BMW Motorrad Maintenance Charger Manual

I purchased one but do not have a manual. Other threads have discussed that this charger/tender goes thorough a diagnostic phase (light flashing sequence(?).

Can anyone share how it should be working? I plugged it in with the right "handshake: key on - plug into accessory outlet - plug charger into power, initially the power button flashed once and then indicated that I had power to the unit. It was at 2/3 (yellow) and took over night to get to 3/3 (green).

When it was -40 I checked it in my unheated shed and it would be green for 10 seconds or so and then it would cycle through the Red (1 second) - Yellow (1 second) then Green (10 seconds again).

It has now warmed up to a balmy -10 C and the green light is now constantly on.

Does this sound normal? Could anyone possibly post the manual?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12.jpg
Views:	489
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	11392  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 2009, 1:55 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by uglybuttugly
I purchased one but do not have a manual. Other threads have discussed that this charger/tender goes thorough a diagnostic phase (light flashing sequence(?).

Can anyone share how it should be working? I plugged it in with the right "handshake: key on - plug into accessory outlet - plug charger into power, initially the power button flashed once and then indicated that I had power to the unit. It was at 2/3 (yellow) and took over night to get to 3/3 (green).

When it was -40 I checked it in my unheated shed and it would be green for 10 seconds or so and then it would cycle through the Red (1 second) - Yellow (1 second) then Green (10 seconds again).

It has now warmed up to a balmy -10 C and the green light is now constantly on.

I'd say if you see GREEN, you're good to go.

Mine will occasionally go to RED when I turn on the garage's 200 watt overhead light. I don't know why, but I guess the momentary voltage spike messes with it. It will go to GREEN within a couple of minutes though. I count GREEN as good. More than 3-4 minutes of RED, or staying that way, is bad.

If the bike starts is the ultimate indication that it works .... I guess.

Mack
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 2009, 4:48 pm
Addict-oholic

Sounds like it is working normally.Only when the battery needs a charge wil it go to red and theny cycle back to green. When is is extremely cold, it probably cycles more ofterm...

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 2009, 9:19 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrykay
Sounds like it is working normally.Only when the battery needs a charge wil it go to red and theny cycle back to green. When is is extremely cold, it probably cycles more ofterm...
Larry,

I checked the factory manual I didn't find anything that matched the description of your situation. I tried to find a PDF of the manual to send you but no luck so I just typed out the information. Sorry for any typos.

John

Features
Perfect charging..with the latest IUoU - charging technology in 4 stages:
in stage 1 the battery is charged with maximum charging current until the charge end voltage is reached. In stage 2 the voltage is preserved with falling current to bring the battery to maximum as quickly as possible. In stage 3 the voltage is reduced to the maintenance charge. Reduction of the battery voltage in stage 4 causes a reset - and the cycle starts again from the very beginning.
The charging procedure has been checked by BMW motorbikes and approved for use in BMW motorbike batteries. Measurements have shown that this charging method guarantees a long service life together with minimum water consumption. The battery is always fully charged.
Throughout the whole charging and charge maintenance procedure, the system is constantly queried. If a battery error occurs, the charge procedure is interrupted with an optical LED Error display.
There is a practical wall-mounting bracket on the back of the unit.

Description of functions
When the unit is connected to the mains, it proceeds with a self-test and all LED's light up for approx. 2 seconds to indicate that the functions are ready. When a battery is connected up with at least 3.5V residual voltage, the charge starts. The connected battery is tested and the charge status defined; this is shown by the four LED's 0 1/3 2/3 3/3. This is why it can take a few hours for the charge status to be dfined and the battery 3/3 shown even when the battery is fully charged. The battery cannot be overcharged.
The unit has the following displays
LED Power- on The device is connected to the mains
LED 0 - on The battery is connected up, the device is in the main charging mode.
LED 0 - flashes: Unit is de-sulphating mode with de-sulphating loops. If de-sulphating succeeds and current flow is enforced through the battery, the main charge mode continues. If de-sulphating fails, the charge is interrupted and "error" appears.
LED 1/3 - on Device in main charging mode. Charging current has fallen to 1/3 of the initial value.
LED 2/3 - on Device in main charging mode. Charging current has fallen to 2/3 of the initial value.
LED 3/3 - on Battery fully charged. Maintenance charging now takes place. The unit can remain connected up. The battery is maintained by so-called "driving simulation cycles".
LED Error - on Short-circuit at the charging terminals, battery connected to the wrong poles.
LED Error - flashes Battery error, charge interrupted. The unit haas reconginised a wrong battery, e.g. 6V or 24V battery, battery is sulphated and revival failed or cell short-circuit.

The unit can revivie sulphated batteries. However, this is impossible via the onboard socket outlet in individual cases. Trials have shown that sulphating can be reverted under certain conditions. The unit proceeds with revival loops and tries to enforce a current flow. If the battery cannot be successfully charged via the onboard electrical circuit's socket outlet after several attempts, then the battery should be directly charged on the battery poles. If revival succeeds, it is followed by normal charging. If revival fails, the battery is irrevocably defect. The unit interrupts the charge and indicates this by the flashing LED Error. In stubborn cases, a second attempt to revive the battery may succeed. Disconnect the defect battery briefly and connect it up again. Then proceed again from the beginning. The unit tests the connected battery and switches to the necessary charging mode.
The unit can be connected up to the battery for a longer period of time (several Months) without any problems and always keeps it fully charged. Overcharging and gassing of the battery is prevented.
In spite of the low charge maintenance voltage, under certian circumstances it is possible for the cells of lead acid batteries to lose slight quantities of water. This why the acid level should be checked at regular intervals (approx. 4 weeks). If a defect occurs during charging or charge maintenance, this is detected and charge is interrupted.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 2009, 1:13 pm
Addict

I have the same charger, used it many times and even when I wised up -after paying for my second bmw/exide gel piece of kaka, still works fine on new Odyssey AGM battery. There is no place in the manual that say you have to go thru the "handshake" bs that the older model charger required on can-bus bikes. No need to have key in bike-nothing like like that..This newer-from your pic-is just plug in-thats it. Reason for the gel type charger is that the gel battey-yuck- does not like a constant charge it gets too hot--therefore the charger cycles to let it cool down-not an issue with AGM or older type battery. You just plug into wall socket-bottom red light will come on indicating its working. Plug into acc socket onder left side-thats it. In a few moments the upper left led will go red-charger is checking your battery 1/3 charging. Depending on state of battery-in 30 mins ( I have timed it) to about 2hrs the second led will come on-"2/3". Again it will take some time. Then the last led will come on "3/3". It will stay in that state until fully charged and monitor battery. If left on charger for longer the charger might go to the last led on top-red. Charger is off-but still monitering charge. It will start the process all over again if the charge drops. Same sequence but much faster. Manual says that charger can be left on for afew day to few months.

Marin Phil
2013 K13S-Anniv ED
'06 K12GT Blue of course!_Sold-too many problems
'05 Ducati 999-My Italian Mistress_sold and missed
2004 K12 GT-Orient Blue-the new me.-Sold
about 30 before that but too old to remember them all..
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 2009, 12:51 pm Thread Starter

John06KGT, thank you so much for all the detail. Have a great holiday season.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	111111.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	11402  
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 2009, 7:53 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by uglybuttugly

Sorry UBU, I should have addressed my response to you instead of Larry (nothing personal Larry).

You're welcome and I hope you and your loved ones have safe and Merry Christmas!

John

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode