Odyssey PC680 Battery. MJ or not MJ? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 2009, 7:24 am Thread Starter
Noob

Odyssey PC680 Battery. MJ or not MJ?

Just a quick tip for anyone who ends up in my position.

Id been having problems with my third BMW battery in four years and seen what good opinions people here have about Odyssey batteries and the PC680MJ in particular.

I found a supplier here in the UK, Tayna Batteries, and called them to order the thing.

Ah, you want the one with the Metal Jacket then Sir, not the ordinary 680?

Er, Whats the difference otherwise?

None Sir. The MJs slightly bigger overall thats all, because of the jacket and is 98 (c.$160) but the ordinary one is 78 (c.$125).

Thinking that smaller would be an easier fit than large and 20 is 20, I bought the ordinary 680 which arrived next morning.

Wrong. The basic Odyssey is just a bit too small for the opening left by removing the BMW one. I packed it out front and top with pieces of rubber I happened to have left over from applying protective film and its all tightened up nicely now, but a bit bigger would have been better.

Just so you know. If you didnt already.

Simon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 2009, 9:01 am
Enthusiast

Sorry to hear of your situation. My previous BMW (R1200c) needed a battery and I did not know the MJ or no MJ answer and went for MJ.

Well as you can guess I "missed it by that much". The jacket can be removed, but it is a tricky timely effort not for the faint of heart.

The good news is I really liked the Odyssey battery and would not think twice about the purchase of this so called "aftermarket" part. It is far superior to BMW's supplier.

El Barto
Ride fast.......Get there before the accident!
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 2009, 10:06 am
Veteran

I bought a PC680MJ. Seemed to fit well enough by itself in my 2007 K1200GT with room to spare. The clamp would not tighten on it, however.

I created a shim for the clamp from two narrow strips of wood paneling that I cut in my garage. The two strips, stacked together, are the right thickness for the clamp. With the clamp in place over the battery, it was obvious that it wasn't going to move in any direction, even under severe conditions. Because I cut the strips to be narrow, they don't get in the way of anything else.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 2009, 1:29 pm
IBR# 366

The metal jacket isn't strictly necessary, but it does raise the temperature rating which is useful as the battery sits right on top of that Slant/4 motor. I got the metal jacket for the same price as the plain version, but I know guys who have run both types without problem.

However, both types need to be shimmed to fit the existing hold down bracket.

I also added some 90* brackets so that all my accessory wires are attached seperately from the factory wires. Much simpler that way.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 2009, 1:42 pm
Addict

I believe the metal-jacketed 'MJ' version was developed for certain Harley applications where the battery is subjected to a lot of radiant heat. It isn't required for any BMW applications as far as I am aware. If you can get it for a minimal price premium (and it fits OK) then I guess it can't hurt, but if the price difference is significant then I'd just go with the standard version.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 2009, 3:41 pm
Enthusiast

I'll think you'll find Odyessy do not make batteries for motorcycles,they make batteries, some actually fit motorcycles,or be it a very small range,we had a supply of MJ cased ones a couple of years ago,they are attached to the case with 3 blobs of silicone just keep pulling!!!
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 2009, 5:14 pm
IBR# 366

Once again, there is no need to remove the metal jacket on the PC680 battery. It fits almost exactly the same with or without the jacket.

You might save a few $$ buying the non-MJ version, but either works just fine.

And the Odyssey batteries are optimized for auto applications, with good cold-cranking amp ratings and good repeated charge/discharge characteristics.

It's the Panasonic/Westco batteries that aren't designed for auto applications, although they will physically fit in the bike. Those come from UPS systems, where they sit idle on a trickle charge for months or years then are expected to suddenly discharge at a very even rate with a constant load. Yes, they will work in a bike, but the Odyssey simply works much better.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 2009, 9:19 pm

battery

I have one on my2004GT and the battery is great . I have used it for about one year so far. They fix and work and cost less.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 2010, 2:44 am
Enthusiast

r1100rt

I put the 680 (not metal jaket) in it ,it came with all the hardware needed,,, might as well spend a litle more , good technology just getting the bike ready now ,,, anyone done a pearlesent paint job on your bmw ? ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I'm thinkin about it ,,,,,,,,,,with some glow in the dark in it ,,,,,,,,,,,couldn't ,, hurt a thing I was lookin at their faces ,,,,lookin at their hearts ,,,lookin through the hole in the bottom of their hearts,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,joe,,, love that 1200rs ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,haul assssssssssssssss

Last edited by joesflashdog; Jan 1st, 2010 at 2:53 am. Reason: spelling addition
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 2010, 2:53 am
Noob

Question Where to get best price on PC680MJ?

Any tips on where to get the best price on the Odyssey PC680MJ now?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode