1200 / 1300 GT Seats - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 2009, 2:36 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

1200 / 1300 GT Seats

I am interested to know opinions on Corbin Seats for the slant 4 GT. Is the comfort worth the $1000 for a set of seats? There has been plenty of complaints on the stock seat and am considering the Corbin.
Thanks, McWideglide

PS Happy New Years to all

McWideglide
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 2009, 2:55 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcwideglide
I am interested to know opinions on Corbin Seats for the slant 4 GT. Is the comfort worth the $1000 for a set of seats? There has been plenty of complaints on the stock seat and am considering the Corbin.
Thanks, McWideglide

Forget the Corbin. Too hard. Lousy C.S. Sometimes lousy fit to bike too. Company for sale ("You wanna warranty? Here's your warranty!" ). Remember their fantastic "Sparrow?"

Go get a Russell Day-Long. Do their "Drive-In fit" if you can. End of story.

Notice all the 80 or so group-buy derelicts on this site that are doing all the complaining about their lousy Russell seat they had made? I thought not. Their sheer silence is golden.

Happy New Year to you too!

Mack
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 2009, 3:22 pm
Rookie

Thumbs up Russell seat for k1200/1300gt

Yo Mcwideglide,
I have an 07 k1200gt with a leather covered Russell seat(both actually)
I have said it before and i will say it again..Your butt will thank you for a Russell. I only have 25000kms on my bike but their seats are awesome. They want pictures with, and without your passenger, your feet on the ground ect.
They are very professional and you will get exactly what they tell you you will get.
Unsurpassed comfort and joy while riding. Once my sirius is hooked up I may not come home.
Good luck on your choice! I highly recommend Russell to anyone.
Happy riding, we have winter here..YUK
Regards,
Vic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 2009, 4:32 pm
Veteran

Are you having seat problems, or just "getting ready" for your saddle to "get to you"?
I had a few Corbins on my old bike. The (2 different) BMW seats I had on my K75 never really were comfortable on multiple all-day trips (7-10 day trips). I tried a Corbin and was pretty satisfied with them, "eventually". There is a definite break-in period. Possibly I would have been happier with the feel of a different saddle, and if they were comfortable immediately, that would have been a big plus.
Once broken in, they were great, took a long time, many miles to wear out, I had 2 different Corbins on the same bike, first one lasted, boy I guess it was over 15 yrs. Second one I only enjoyed for a couple years, then I sold the bike. So yeah I was a happy Corbin customer. I didn't have any hassles with the customer service at all, everything very pleasant, and there WERE a few SNAFU's, everything was handled to my satisfaction.
On the GT, I have been one of the unusual ones where I am happy with the stock seat. So far anyways. 6000-6500 miles into it, althoug I haven't been on any long trips with it, a 3 day weekend with it has been the longest so far.
Appearances of the stock seat is kind of "blah", but it's comfortable for me, and that's the main thing. To get into a nice aftermarket with the heat function, as it seems like you know, is going to be in the $1000-1200 range (way over twice what a K-brick seat runs from Corbin, anyways), so not worth it. I could $ave by skipping heat on the pillion section, but still a ghastly amount to replace a seat I am happy with.
Gilly

"No problem is so big or so complicated that it can't be run away from"

Dark Graphite: Making bikes faster for over 40 years.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 2009, 4:39 pm
Enthusiast

Ordered/bought a seat from Rick Mayer at the Wisconsin National. Took delivery in late November so I've had it a few years. Seems like it was 'only' around $500 for both seats with heat. He flattened it out so I don't slide into the tank all the time, but I still use the gripster tank pads. Great looking seat too.

2006 GT
2002 RT sold
1985 Maxim X sold
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 2009, 5:03 pm
Veteran

WOW good price if that's with heat! Got a picture of it?
That's in line with what I paid for a seat for my brick, and that of course wasn't heated!

"No problem is so big or so complicated that it can't be run away from"

Dark Graphite: Making bikes faster for over 40 years.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 2009, 5:37 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcwideglide
Thanks, McWideglide

I've owned two Corbins--one on an R12RT (liked it very much) and one on an K12GT2, (did not like as much) and sold it. If you go with Corbin, just pray you do not need something after the sale--GFL.

For years now one of my riding buddies has gone on and on about how the RDL is the best seat money can buy. He has had one made for 5 of the bikes he has owned over the last 10 years.

Recently he let me use his RDL off is K12GT2 while he was in between bikes. Holy crap, I was sold in the first hour and now have one on order--Jan. 4 production date.

Skip all the others and go right to the Russel Day Long.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 2009, 5:48 pm
Rookie

Check out Bill Mayer's work at Ojai: http://billmayersaddles.com/BMS/Home.html $700 for both seats, in leather, using stock heaters. We did that earlier this fall and are really, really pleased.

Meese knows these ropes and should be weighing in soon.

Lee
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 2009, 5:55 pm
Noob

Had my heated Corbin the last 2 summers on my 06 GT. Took a bit getting used to, felt a bit cramped and stiff, but eventually broke in and thus have no complaints. I like the look and feel - no experience with others to compare, but I am happy so far.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 2009, 7:59 pm
Addict

Spending $1,000-$1,500 for a seat upgrade to me means the seat should have a great reputation, not OK, not pretty good, but GREAT. I'm not here to be judge or anything, but I have not seen that kind of reporting on the Corbin, too many issues with the company, comfort, etc. They look nice, that's good. $1,000+ good - no way.

As a point of reference, I just took delivery of a Russell Day Long for my 08 KGT and it looks a little weird and feels great. It has already proved itself more comfortable to use over the stock or a Sargent seat. I paid $450 or so with the group buy and i am happy. I would have paid more....not $1,000 though unless I rode Iron Butts all the time.

AS always your mileage may vary.

2008 K1200GT, Custom Paint, Vivid Black, Aeroflow WS & Aeroguards, Givi E52 Maxia Topcase w/AdMore Lighting, Zumo 660, Suburban Footpeg Lowering, Sargent Seat

2009 R1200GS Adventure, Magnesium Grey/Black, Adventure Cases, Zumo 660, Touratech Unobtanium Accessories

1974 Norton Commando 850 Soon to be a restoration project

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode