How important is break-in on K1300GT? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 2010, 10:01 am Thread Starter
Noob

How important is break-in on K1300GT?

I've found a couple of demo and used K1300GT's. What I don't know is how they were broken in. BMW's seem to need more TLC than others. How important is the break in and is there a way for a mechanic to check if everything was properly seated ? Should I stay away from demos ? Thanks for the help!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 2010, 11:56 am
Addict

Cannot answer specifically to K13GT, but I bought a 2005 LT demo. I asked the dealer to throw in an oil service since the bike probably puttered around at the hands of lots of newbies. I id get a pretty good discount for buying demo and I would say there is no way for anyone to tell how a bike was broken in beyond pulling the plugs for a look and running a compression check. My advice is that if you are concerned about this then pass on demo's, but I experienced no issues from buying one...right up until I crashed it.

2008 K1200GT, Custom Paint, Vivid Black, Aeroflow WS & Aeroguards, Givi E52 Maxia Topcase w/AdMore Lighting, Zumo 660, Suburban Footpeg Lowering, Sargent Seat

2009 R1200GS Adventure, Magnesium Grey/Black, Adventure Cases, Zumo 660, Touratech Unobtanium Accessories

1974 Norton Commando 850 Soon to be a restoration project
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 2010, 12:15 pm

I had every posssible bad experience it was possible to have with an ex demo bike, although to be fair it was a K1200GT, and so many had problems!

I then part ex'ed it against a new K1300GT, and ran it in religiously by the book. I have a friend who bought his at the same time, and he ran his in slightly less easily than mine, and it seems he has marginally better acceleration, but who knows how engine life will compare.

If you're not bothered about the countless testers who raped your demo before you bought it, then stick the savings in your back pocket and bank them. My advice though would be use the money to pay for an extended warranty, if you have the same experience as me, you'll very quickly get the money back!!

I'm living proof of the old adage "the older I get the faster I was"

blog

AlpineBiker Tours
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 2010, 1:59 pm
Rookie

Certainly would not hurt to ask for Free OIL Change and Diff Oil Change along with a discount on the extended warranty. They want to sell the demo and I am sure they will do whatever they can to move the unit.

Although you must be comfortable with it. In the end it comes down to how much are you saving compared to buying new.

I personally have never bought a used bike and I think the only way I would is if I new the owner....just me though.

Good luck with your decision
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 2010, 10:31 am
Noob

I have bought two demos before (1200 LT and 1200RT) and never had any issues. BMW makes heavy duty stuff: there are some youtube videos on how hard they run the engines on the testing machines before they are installed on the bike. I know there are a lot of negative comments on this forum about BMW quality, many of them warranted, but they make a hell of an engine. It seems the electrical stuff on the 2009 models is something to potentially be worried about. My two cents.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 2010, 11:53 am

How important is break-in on K1300 Gt

I'm another want-to-be K1300Gt owner, and i'm happy someone brought up the subject of "demo's". I have found two demo's in my area that are the color I want along with the low mileage, but as most of you have written, there seems to be some dislike to buying demo's do to the possible beating they take or problems that some of you have incurred.
Granted they're only a machine, but based on the price you pay the factory and dealers should be willing to be more helpful in correcting problems. With this in mind I have started to lean back to the RT or Concours.
Any thoughts would be appreciated!
Thanks
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 2010, 12:31 pm

I had NO problems with the dealer fixing the problems, after all they sold me their ex demo so it was in their interests to keep me on the road.

I think the issue is really with the kms on the bike. I bought mine as a 2 year old machine with 8000kms, if you're buying with less age and less mileage then chances for faults are "perhaps" less.

Your own views on running in are important as to how much you will be worried by previous riders. I tested a K1300GT demo bike with ony 273kms on the clock on an organised route. RPM's were supposed to be kept below 6000, which I did, but it depends how hard you twist the throttle to get there!

Thats probably no help whatsoever, but if you would run your own bikes in by the "give it gas" early in its life philosophy, then don't worry, get and extended warranty thrown in and you'll be quids in.

I'm living proof of the old adage "the older I get the faster I was"

blog

AlpineBiker Tours
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 2010, 6:06 pm
IBR# 366

Quote:
Originally Posted by glab
With this in mind I have started to lean back to the RT or Concours. Any thoughts would be appreciated!
That's easy. Ride them all and then you'll know.

If you're still not sure after you've ridden each of them, then I guess it doesn't really matter which one you pick.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 2010, 7:58 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo616
I've found a couple of demo and used K1300GT's. What I don't know is how they were broken in. BMW's seem to need more TLC than others. How important is the break in and is there a way for a mechanic to check if everything was properly seated ? Should I stay away from demos ? Thanks for the help!!!
Ken, any K1300GT you would purchase is still well within warranty, so I wouldn't worry too much about this. Just make sure the appropriate services were done and you should be fine.
Unfortunately, the closest dealer to you would be Bob's in Maryland (I'm in the same boat as my office is about 5 miles from you). DeSimone in Cherry Hill closed before Thanksgiving. I understand there is a new dealership taking on BMW in north Philadelphia, but I don't have confirmation on that. That's the only part that sucks, since you have two Honda dealerships near you (Bear and Chadds Ford, PA).
If you want to discuss call me on the cell 302-383-8877 anytime.
I was planning taking the bike to work (New Castle Airport) this morning. Not too cold; only 25 deg F. However, the engine turned over a little too slowly for my liking in the garage. I didn't want to get stranded at work with a dead battery. It's on the battery tender now.
If it doesn't snow in the morning, I'll take it tomorrow.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 2010, 11:27 am
Rookie

Demo's? U just never know, and thats the problem,
did the previous riders bounce off the rev limiter during initial run-in?
Would you buy a used rental car? I had a choice when I bought my GT
the demo with 3000km or the new one for $1,500 more. I am breaking in
my bike, the way I want to because I hope to keep it for a long time.
Warranty is the same initially when u purchase but what about when its done?
That could be when u see the problems from a harsh run in...perhaps
Just another opinion from a former demo owner that would never do it
again.

08K1200GT Adventurin Silver, Full Load

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode