Brake bleed gone bad! Need help quick! - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 2010, 9:49 am Thread Starter
Addict

Angry Brake bleed gone bad! Need help quick!

Okay, so I've done a LOT of brake bleeds on RTs with servo brakes. I felt I could certainly handle the GT: No problem. Since I really couldn't find a good "How To" I even felt so confident that I'd make a little article for everyone like I did for the brake pad change way back when...

I just had to consult the RepRom to see which circuit was which nipple/reservoir and away I went.

Bled the control circuits pretty quick!

Then with my ministan full on the front reservoir, and caliper shimmed out, to the front we go!

Then it went to hell! The fluid in the reservoir didn't budge, but it was flowing out the wheel circuit just fine! Not a good combo! I tried several times, so I'm sure that I'm very close to pumping air soon, so I don't want to experiment any more!

Pictures are uploading while I type this so they will be up later...

Any help is appreciated, as the bike is all torn up and I need it to go to work tonight...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 2010, 10:35 am Thread Starter
Addict

Here is the ministan installed on the front wheel circuit reservoir:

And the module:

I did try bleeding the rear in case the RepRom was wrong on which reservoir was which, but it didn't matter. Neither wheel circuit drained the funnel.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 2010, 5:44 pm
Veteran

Bummer, but I may have found something for you....similar problem on a GS, just the fluid not going down the funnel from air in the reservoir....but check this out! And if this is it, please pass it on, someone else will eventually need that info...!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...light=bleeding

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 2010, 5:45 pm

I just looked in my manual for my ks and it states not to open the caps in the servo unit for fear of dirt damaging the unit . The fluild is replaced through the resevours for the front and rear circuit one at a time
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 2010, 5:54 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonysrep
I just looked in my manual for my ks and it states not to open the caps in the servo unit for fear of dirt damaging the unit . The fluild is replaced through the resevours for the front and rear circuit one at a time
But I'll add to that,on ADVrider, some of the GS guys were doing that and found fluid still contaminated just a few weeks later from not bleeding through the unit. But they do have quite a lot on their site on the newer systems, they tend to be quite resourceful....and great travel stories too.

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 2010, 6:20 pm
Addict

You're doing it right. I would try sucking the fluid out of the funnel, refill the reservoir without the ministan (to avoid trapping too much air) and then slowly refill with the ministan attached.

There is already a how-to on the Advrider site.
http://advwisdom.hogranch.com/Wisdom/service_abs3.pdf

James

06 K1200R Corbin w/ smuggler, Wilbers shocks, PCIII, Factory Pro Dyno tuned, CC Suspension plates, Vario levers, Dual Evo filters, Leo Vince SBK, V1, Zumo 550

02 WR250F Stock

99 SV650 GSX-R front end, Aftershocks suspension, Penske shock, 41mm FCR flat slides, Bridgestone slicks, M4 exhaust, Vortex clipons, Woodcraft rearsets, Hot Bodies race bodywork, Factory Pro clutch cover, Total Loss ignition, BRG relocated battery, APE Adjustable Cam sprockets, JE 13:1 pistons, mild porting, balanced crank, Sunoco 110 race fuel

98 KLX331 Race Tech suspension, 331 Stroker big bore kit, 33mm pumper, Tag bars, Stroker exhaust, IMS desert tank, tall seat foam w/ Stroker cover, Open air box, KX clutch
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 2010, 12:20 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Thanks for all the suggestions guys!

Just got home from work and took another look. The reservoir appears to still be pretty topped off, but I think I'll go with some kind of vapor lock theory, and try filling it with a syringe. I did go so far as to pull out the little filter basket that is under the cap and check the fluid level.

It won't be that bad if air is introduced anyway, it will just take a little more fluid and I got a big bottle since I planned on flushing a lot through anyway!

Thanks again, and when I get time to do it and figure it out, I'll let Y'all know!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 2010, 1:19 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Okay, problem solved!

My manual is wrong! These are just like all the other bikes with this module!

The front reservoir is the inboard one, and the rear is the outboard one! My manual shows the opposite, which is also the opposite of every one I had seen up to now, but I figured BMW couldn't stand to keep things standard, so they must have switched them! I mean why should they keep things standard?

Anyway, I'm not sure why the fluid level didn't seem to drop when I thought of this when the problem appeared the first time, but I gave it shot again since I was pretty much stuck anyway.

Thanks again for all the suggestions and help folks!!!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 2010, 6:08 pm
Veteran

Nice to see you got it fixed!

The manual was wrong.....Hi Hi ! Every manual I have owned since 85 had errors in it!
I now have 3 of them for my bike, Triplechecks....! And they are still ignoring important things.....but common sense and the Internet shall prevail !

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 2010, 4:10 pm
Addict

Don't you just love that? And of course you thought that could be the problem and do a quick check to verify... How much time did it cost you.

Did the IV bags work well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeniciaRT
Okay, problem solved!

My manual is wrong! These are just like all the other bikes with this module!

2008 R 1200 GS ADV
2007 K 1200 GT Graphite
98 HD Sportster 1200C [Sold] (Mistake)
Various dirt bikes in my youth.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode