Weekend valve check - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 2010, 8:45 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Weekend valve check

I've been thinking about checking the valves on my '07 GT and the crummy weather plus the excellent post by Brian Louw (blouw) motivated me to do it this past weekend.

As expected, all of the valves were within specs. Bike has 25,723 miles.

I filled the cooling system this morning. I made a manifold similar to Brian's and connected it to my vacuum pump. I followed the instructions in the RepRom and it worked like a charm.

One note: I decided to change the air filter and I'm glad I did. Not only was it dirty but it was beginning to fall apart. I've never seen one do this before. I bought my GT new in Nov. '07 so the air filter was due for replacement.

Bruce Hodges
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0034.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	175.9 KB
ID:	11494   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0035.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	190.0 KB
ID:	11495  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 2010, 10:22 pm
IBR# 366

Yeah, I'd say you were due for a replacement.

The first time Grif and I did my valves, we pulled an entire bird out of the air scoop. I had been wondering why the bike was faltering a bit at higher revs . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 2010, 1:09 pm
Rookie

Wow, big bug bits in your filter. Have you considered putting a screen across the end of the snorkle? I zap strapped a piece of screen over the end of the snorkle on my 07 GT and it keeps all the big bits out. Anybody else?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 2010, 4:11 pm
Rookie

Great! Did you also have a problem with pulling the secondary air pipe?

Brian Louw
2013 K1600GT Light Grey Metallic
2011 R1200GSA
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 2010, 6:45 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Lester, there were bigger bugs in there also, dragonfly's, grasshoppers, etc. I think a screen might be a great idea since there is nothing to stop them. The air intake is literally a big scoop with a direct shot to the air filter. Do you have a pic of what you did?

Brian, the secondary air pipe was a bitch. I tried your tire iron idea and finally got the left side of the pipe, the side with the two plugs that are close together, to pop loose. But the one on the right refused to budge. I finally popped the two on left side out and then pivoted the entire pipe down and up 180 degrees and then popped the right plug free. There was enough play in the plug and flex in the plastic tube to not damage the pipe.

Bruce Hodges
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 2010, 10:40 pm
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce2000ltc
Brian, the secondary air pipe was a bitch. I tried your tire iron idea and finally got the left side of the pipe, the side with the two plugs that are close together, to pop loose. But the one on the right refused to budge. I finally popped the two on left side out and then pivoted the entire pipe down and up 180 degrees and then popped the right plug free. There was enough play in the plug and flex in the plastic tube to not damage the pipe.

Bruce Hodges
Thanks for the info, Bruce.
I am surprised BMW doesn't have a special tool. Hopefully someone is gong to come up with a better idea. I did use some WD-40 to try and lube the rubber bushes a bit and that might have helped.

Brian Louw
2013 K1600GT Light Grey Metallic
2011 R1200GSA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode