Mounting a Givi Top case to a next gen K1200 GT - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 2010, 5:48 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Mounting a Givi Top case to a next gen K1200 GT

I am wodering if there is anyone out there that has successfully mounted a Givi top case to a next gen K1200 GT. I have a Givi V 46 Top case that I had on my 02 K1200 RS I thought that I would just have to buy some different mounting hardware and that I would be able to put my bag on my new GT but when I went to my dealer I was surprised to find out that Givi is not making anything for the new GT's The parts manager thought that it must be some sort of mistake and called his Givi supplier while I was standing there and his supplier told him that Givi does not make anything for the new GT's and as far as he knew they do not have anything in the works. I do have an idea that involves a couple of aluminum rails, spacers and some longer screws to mount the Givi plate using 4 of the 5 existing screw for the cover plate. Let me know what you all think and of any other ideas that night be out there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 2010, 8:16 pm
Addict

I did it. Mounted a GIVI Maxi E52 liter on my 08 GT. Uses the same mount as the RT, see it here at Twisted Throttle. GIVI doesn't show the GT as supported , but it mounts great.....

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/2337

Any questions let me know. I have the bag mounted and love it.

2008 K1200GT, Custom Paint, Vivid Black, Aeroflow WS & Aeroguards, Givi E52 Maxia Topcase w/AdMore Lighting, Zumo 660, Suburban Footpeg Lowering, Sargent Seat

2009 R1200GS Adventure, Magnesium Grey/Black, Adventure Cases, Zumo 660, Touratech Unobtanium Accessories

1974 Norton Commando 850 Soon to be a restoration project
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 2010, 9:48 pm

Same thing here. The E52 fits ok with the rt mount.

Bests Regards

Sylvain
08 k1200gt
08 F800S wife's
02 wr426
1978 r100/7
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 2010, 4:34 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Mounts standard Givi Monokey topcases (ie E45 Elegant, E460 Delux, E52 Maxia), Thanks for the replies but the website seems to indicate that the mounting plate works with E series bags I have the V46 and I'm not sure that it will work with my bag. Can either one of you take a picture of your plate so that I can get a close look at it to see if I think it will work with my bag.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 2010, 5:30 pm
Addict

It should work with any monokey bag. I have a 10 yr old 42L mounted to my GT using that mount.

Doug Turner
'86 Concours
'99 K1200LT - gone
'06 K1200GT - the new kid in town
'08 Wing - gone
Marshall, TX
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 2010, 8:11 pm
Addict

Yes, this is the mount you need for the V46 too. See the website I linked to below, even though they say they have only the RT mount, it works for the GT too, for all Monokey cases including the E series and V series. Just do it.

http://www.rlmotorcycles.com/cgi-bin...64381609.47622

2008 K1200GT, Custom Paint, Vivid Black, Aeroflow WS & Aeroguards, Givi E52 Maxia Topcase w/AdMore Lighting, Zumo 660, Suburban Footpeg Lowering, Sargent Seat

2009 R1200GS Adventure, Magnesium Grey/Black, Adventure Cases, Zumo 660, Touratech Unobtanium Accessories

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 2010, 2:39 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhendrick
Yes, this is the mount you need for the V46 too. See the website I linked to below, even though they say they have only the RT mount, it works for the GT too, for all Monokey cases including the E series and V series. Just do it.

http://www.rlmotorcycles.com/cgi-bin...64381609.47622
I called the folks at the website you provided. Thanks! They have a couple of different RT mounts. They also said that some peoples tollerence for modifications can be quite different from others. He said that he had no personal kowledge of anyone ever mounting a Givi bag to a GT with and R/T mounting plate and he suggested that I aks some one to provide a couple of pictures. Would any of you be kind enough to take a couple of pictures of the mounting plate attached to you bike maybe with and without the bag actually attached. Thank you for your help.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 2010, 5:22 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabre2870
I called the folks at the website you provided. Thanks! They have a couple of different RT mounts. They also said that some peoples tollerence for modifications can be quite different from others. He said that he had no personal kowledge of anyone ever mounting a Givi bag to a GT with and R/T mounting plate and he suggested that I aks some one to provide a couple of pictures. Would any of you be kind enough to take a couple of pictures of the mounting plate attached to you bike maybe with and without the bag actually attached. Thank you for your help.
Here are my pics from an earlier post I did to this forum, hope they help. Getting the mount on was a little fiddly but not too difficult and it works great. I did no modifications to any of the mount hardware. It took less than an hour to do the whole thing as I recall and I am not a great mechanic

Here's the link: http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showpo...24&postcount=8

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 2010, 7:18 pm

The BMW cases for the GT and RT are the same, so I don't see why not the Givi adapter for the RT wouldn't work on the GT.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 2010, 3:50 pm
Noob

Question adding Givi or LED tail/turn signal lights

I was wondering if anyone has added the stock Givi brake light or the LED lighting from www.admorelighting.com to the Givi cases and if so how hard was it to wire them into the BMW electrical system? I'm in the shopping for a new bike mood and the K1300GT is near the top of the list, however the CAMBUS system has me a little confused/concerned. This is a picture of my current bike http://www.admorelighting.com/index....hoto/index.php
1993 Honda CBR1000F, just flipped 105K miles (all stock) and had some electrical wiring melt downs during the last long haul with the wife, got it all fixed but she says she wants to be on something new before this May when we head out again, didn't like coming home in a Uhaul truck instead of on 2 wheels. I live in FL and need to look like a Mack truck to feel a little safer so I've got the LED turn/brake lights on all the cases and license plate holder and want to just move everything over to the new bike. The side bags are the E41's and the top case is the E460. I've been looking at a couple different dealers and the BMW, Yamaha, Kawasaki, and Honda stock bags just can't come close to the ease of use and size of the Givi bags so whichever bike I get the stock bags will go on ebay. Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode