Mounting Heat Troller - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 2010, 11:57 am Thread Starter
Rookie

Mounting Heat Troller

Hi!

I have searched but not yet found the information I'm looking for so I figured I would just ask.

My dealer will soon install the permanent Heat Troller and I have some ideas from posts here where to install the knobs, but I'm wondering about what to do with the plugs? I would like to not have them just stick out under the seat. I would prefer to have them mounted and then use a extension cable to connect to the liner. This is how I do it with Autocom intercom.

So you guys that have installed Heat Troller or similar solutions from other vendors, what have you done with the plugs? Are you happy with the solution?

Thanks!

Regards,
GB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 2010, 4:06 pm
IBR# 366

My plugs come out in front of the seat. The advantages are that there is plenty of length, even for the shorter wire on my heated pants, and that if I get off the bike without unplugging, the wires will simply pull loose without bending or damaging anything. It is a little harder to plug in one-handed, but that can be done if I need to.

And yes, I'm happy with the solution.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 2010, 7:22 am

Heat control wiring

My heat plug-in comes out in front of the seat also. I have a cable strap retained by one of the body screws that holds the heat controller wire and my autocom cable. If I do stress the cable somehow it doesn't yank on the internal wiring on the bike.

There are some images posted here: http://ryanwerks.smugmug.com/Motorcy...71792235_J6xgH

K1300GT
R1200GSA
R90S
R80 G/S PD
R75/5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 2010, 3:15 am Thread Starter
Rookie

Meese and R2K2,

Thanks for your reply. I'll probably end up with the same solution as you guys.

Regards,
GB
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 2010, 12:23 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by orgabeke
Meese and R2K2,

Thanks for your reply. I'll probably end up with the same solution as you guys.

Regards,
GB
Mine come out by the left foot peg. When not in use they simply hang under the fairing. If you need pictures, I can get one for you but it is just that simple.

My reason: I wear one pieces, and there isn't a way to put the jacket/pants plugs out at my waste, so I made extension leads and they run down my left leg and out the cuff. Works for me, but you AIN"T gonna plug them in on the road if you ride off and forget!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 2010, 1:58 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeniciaRT
Mine come out by the left foot peg. When not in use they simply hang under the fairing. If you need pictures, I can get one for you but it is just that simple.

My reason: I wear one pieces, and there isn't a way to put the jacket/pants plugs out at my waste, so I made extension leads and they run down my left leg and out the cuff. Works for me, but you AIN"T gonna plug them in on the road if you ride off and forget!
Thanks for sharing. I wear a two piece suit so having the plugs coming out in front of the seat should be ok. The reason I asked was because when I bought the 1200GT in 2008 and the Autocom the dealer, without me asking, fastened the autocom plug on the tank and I really liked not having the cord just dangling free. I just thinks it looks better...

Regards,
GB
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAGE_018.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	217.3 KB
ID:	11543  
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 2010, 2:48 pm
IBR# 366

There's nothing wrong with getting a clip of some sort for the HeatTroller plugs. Either a plastic clip mounted to an existing screw, or you could even use velcro on the plug itself, with a small square patch mounted up near your existing Autocom plug.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 2010, 1:01 am Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meese
There's nothing wrong with getting a clip of some sort for the HeatTroller plugs. Either a plastic clip mounted to an existing screw, or you could even use velcro on the plug itself, with a small square patch mounted up near your existing Autocom plug.
I haven't thought about a clip mounted to an existing screw. Good idea. I have considered velco and it might just be the easiest solution. Then again, the Warm and Safe extension cable is pretty long, I'm thinking "will it be in the way?". I guess I'' just have to ponder about this for a while, it's still at least 2 months until I'll be riding again. Hmm, maybe velcro the plugs a bit down on the side of the bike so I can tuck them away when not needed.

I appreciate the input!

Regards,
GB

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode