Moto lights - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 2010, 5:30 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Moto lights

I am thinking about getting the caliper mounted moto lights for my 2007 GT. They look like the bike was built with them. Has anyone out there installed them and if so, how practical are they? Do they really improve your visabilty?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 2010, 6:06 pm
Addict-oholic

I had them on omy 2006 and transferred them to my 2009. They are really great. Lot's of light and the bike is very visible to oncoming vehicles.

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 2010, 7:39 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabre2870
I am thinking about getting the caliper mounted moto lights for my 2007 GT. They look like the bike was built with them. Has anyone out there installed them and if so, how practical are they? Do they really improve your visabilty?
I've had the same set of MotoLites for my Harley (3 yrs), then sold the Hog and kept the Motos for my RT (5 yrs), sold the RT and now have them mounted on my K1300 GT (brake caliper mounts-> gorgeous fit and finish)....I keep them fitted w/the 50 watt bulbs available from the Moto Lite company and they will replace them for free for the life of the Motolites! Over the years they have been true to their word w/free replacements! Yes, they greatly improve your day and night conspicuity to others and yes they really improve the night time site picture....I live in the "country" deep in NC so I also have a pair of supplemental PIAA 1100X lamps in my fairing -> wonderful too! -Dr Ron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 2010, 7:48 pm

Motolights .... great product , great company !!!

"08 K1200GT
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 2010, 9:00 pm
Addict

My 08 GT came with MotoIights from the previous owner. So far no one in a car has crashed into me, which seems good. They don't add any driving light function that I can see, but no animals have wandered out of the rough without my seeing them so far. They work and look great, and people say that the "triangle of light" with them at the calipers is a good thing. My Xenon headlight is much more valuable to me for visibility though. If you don't have one of those, I would do that first

2008 K1200GT, Custom Paint, Vivid Black, Aeroflow WS & Aeroguards, Givi E52 Maxia Topcase w/AdMore Lighting, Zumo 660, Suburban Footpeg Lowering, Sargent Seat

2009 R1200GS Adventure, Magnesium Grey/Black, Adventure Cases, Zumo 660, Touratech Unobtanium Accessories

1974 Norton Commando 850 Soon to be a restoration project
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 2010, 8:09 am
Veteran

Mine serve as fork and fender protectors since mine seems to fall over every once in a while.

A little coarse steel wool and they are as good as new. I can find different lamps at the local hardware (Home Depot) store too (flood or spot, different wattages, and different colors). The dealer put an AutoSwitch on them to turn them on and off via the turn signal cancel switch.

Mack
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 2010, 4:16 am Thread Starter
Rookie

Well thanks for the replies. The main reason I was asking is that of course when you're turning left you actually steer right and with the lights mounted on the forks it would seem that they would actually be pointing in the wrong direction but it is good to hear that they are a good company with a good product that they are willing to stand behind and I just love the way they look.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 2010, 8:20 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabre2870
Well thanks for the replies. The main reason I was asking is that of course when you're turning left you actually steer right and with the lights mounted on the forks it would seem that they would actually be pointing in the wrong direction but it is good to hear that they are a good company with a good product that they are willing to stand behind and I just love the way they look.
Oh No! The counter-steering thread lives! Run Away!

<Sarcasm On> Here's an example: One night I was tearing down that back road at 152ph and I came up to a sharp turn and leaned that baby over and it wasn't enough and so I remembered what my ex-racer motorcycle safety foundation instructor told me and since I wanted to go left I steered RIGHT and guess what?, I sailed off the road into the woods but it was all good as I just counterstered through the trees for 400 yards and came to a stop in a turnip patch. Yeah, that's what happened. Glad I had those MotoLights installed so I could avoid the trees. <Sarcasm Off>

2008 K1200GT, Custom Paint, Vivid Black, Aeroflow WS & Aeroguards, Givi E52 Maxia Topcase w/AdMore Lighting, Zumo 660, Suburban Footpeg Lowering, Sargent Seat

2009 R1200GS Adventure, Magnesium Grey/Black, Adventure Cases, Zumo 660, Touratech Unobtanium Accessories

1974 Norton Commando 850 Soon to be a restoration project
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 2010, 8:55 am
Rookie

Lights

If u want driving brightness...go xenon/hid
If u want to be conspicious to others go www.bikevis.com

If u want to be able to see around the corners while counter steering
mount some on your helmet...hehe

Seriously tho I have Xenon and bikevis all I really need.

08K1200GT Adventurin Silver, Full Load
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 2010, 2:55 pm
2 heads are better than 1

I have them on my GT with the amber bulbs. They definitely increase my visibility to other drivers, which is the main reason I mounted them. If you want lights that give you more visibility seeing down the road these with the white halogens are OK, but you may want something mounted higher.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 BMW R1200RT Polar Metallic
2008 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S Red (of course)

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode