Lemon Law resales - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 2010, 2:12 am Thread Starter
Noob

Lemon Law resales

I have been watching some K12GT sales on eBay. I have seen more than a couple GTs that BMW repurchased under lemon laws (some of these laws provide for repurchase if the vehicle is out of service for a certain number of days), fixed, and are being resold by dealers, often with original warranty remaining.

One of those bikes is now bid up to a level that I would expect for a bike with no issues whatsoever. What do we conclude-that some people pay too much on eBay, or that there is no stigma associated with "former lemon" in the bike history?

I like the description in some of these bikes which essentially says, "original buyer has a problem that the dealer could not fix, BMW bought it back, NOW it's fixed, runs great". All of which may be perfectly true (perhaps the first dealer had a poor service department or they couldn't get replacement parts from Germany in time); I just find it interesting.

Anybody have a guess as to dealer cost for one of these ex-lemons? I wonder how many bikes BMW is buying back from consumers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 2010, 3:29 am
Noob

All I know is that I bought a lemon-law buyback from a dealer - a 2009 K13GT with all the options and 3.5k miles for $15,000. The thing is, by law, dealers must disclose that the vehicle is a warranty buy-back so there is indeed a stigma and there is a deal to be had... By the way, my son has put 3000 miles on that bike with no problem whatsoever.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 2010, 5:05 pm
Noob

Doesn't the title reflect lemon buy back in some manor?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 2010, 5:16 pm

I'm interested in knowing if there's a repair history identifying the issue that caused the buy back. Suppose that same issue were to pop up again, would they buy it back again or are you stuck with it seeing as how you purchased it knowing the condition of the bike.

2009 K1300GT
My Photo Site
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 2010, 5:21 pm
IBR# 366

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideanddrive
Doesn't the title reflect lemon buy back in some manor?
I think that goes for salvaged vehicles, not necessarily Lemon Law ones.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 2010, 7:31 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Varies by state. Some states require a disclosure only if the manufacturer was compelled to repurchase the vehicle under a lemon law. Some manufacturers would settle the cases prior to hearing or ruling, and not disclose the repurchase because they voluntarily bought the vehicle back.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 2010, 9:58 pm
Noob

I bought an 06 GT that was repurchased under the Lemon Law. Have ridden more than 8000 miles since. Has warranty until 2011. Nothing on the title. Have been more than pleased. Bike only had 8500 miles when I bought it. Got it for 11K.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 2010, 10:25 pm

I tried to ask them some questions about that bike, some of which yall asked here and they did not answer.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 2010, 3:43 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeS
All I know is that I bought a lemon-law buyback from a dealer - a 2009 K13GT with all the options and 3.5k miles for $15,000. .............

By the way, my son has put 3000 miles on that bike with no problem whatsoever.
Care to adopt another one? I'd really love a GSA too.......

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 2010, 4:52 pm
Rookie

I bought my 2007 GT on Ebay it only had 2200 miles on and the warranty runs to Sep 2010. I got it for 12K which I think is a good deal. Shortly after I got it back to FL a lady backed into with her car. She did 3500 in damage. It was only then I found out from Progressive that the bike had been dropped up in Maine when it only had 200 miles. So Progressive had to contact the dealer in Maine to make sure that the repairs had actually been done to make sure that they weren't paying out twice for the same damage. After they confirmed that the bike had been repaired they paid my claim and once again the bike is as good as new. At least with one of these reclaimed bikes at least you are informed before you buy it. I still think I got a great bike fora great price and the bike now has 8K with no problems.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode