Who will the TYPICAL K1200GT rider be? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 50 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 2005, 8:59 am Thread Starter

Who will the TYPICAL K1200GT rider be?

There's all sorts of speculation about the new GT, it's power, ability, design, price etc. Everyone has something to say.

What I'd like to know, since there's so much variety in opinion about the GT, is WHO the typical GT rider will be?

Will they be older, younger, married, single, employed, retired, etc? And HOW will they use the GT?

What percentage of buyers will actually buy the GT for it's touring capacity?

Forget the FJR and other competitors.

Thinking only about the new GT, what do you think? Who / What is the GT target audience?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 2005, 10:00 am
Veteran

Bored again David?

John
Jacksonville, FL, USA
post #3 of 50 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 2005, 10:52 am
Enthusiast

ME! 50ish, last kid getting toward the end of dental school. Always had sport bikes. Remembers when AMF owned Harley and they were crap and doesn't want to be one of the masses. Doesn't want a land yacht. Went into the dealer last year and immediately went to the K1200S, Only to have the wife who is standing next to R1200RT tell you to "grow up", finally meet wife in the middle of the showroom next to a K1200GT. Wish I had waited for the new one! I think mine looks better, but power and technology always wins over esthetics for me.

Richie
04 K12GT
89K100RS (Gone, but not forgotten)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 50 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 2005, 3:34 pm
bcg

People wil lots of $$$.
post #5 of 50 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 2005, 4:48 pm

Cool

Let's see BMW has yet to make a bike with women in mind, so it won't be me!
post #6 of 50 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 2005, 4:54 pm

f650GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheRidesABeemer
Let's see BMW has yet to make a bike with women in mind, so it won't be me!
I don't know, my EX's first bike was an 02 650 and she did very well on that bike. With the low seat she could flat foot it and she is only 5-5. Decent power, ABS, fairly light.

Keep a high visual horizon,
Bob
post #7 of 50 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 2005, 6:24 pm

Ha

Probably people with more $$ than common sense!! ( sorry I just had to say it, it's the eggnog talking)
Most people I have met who have GT's, seem to be new people to the BMW line-up, and are coming from another brand. They seem to only ride them occasionally, the smaller percent I have met, seem to put alot of miles on them and take trips alone?? Not sure what that is about, must be a "Zen" thing!!
It seems like the largest portion of RT and GS riders, are the hardcore riders who do 600-1000 mile days endlessly, not normally fast riding, just cover alot of ground in a day. The LT is for long distance touring, us K-S riders are just crazy posers (no one needs that much power and speed between their legs, and they are too beautiful to get dirty anyway) more than half of the riders I have met with the K-S show up for sunday rides, bike nites etc, and then ride off alone in the sunset, the remaining bunch seem to arrive at dawn, and return at dusk, no standing around BSing, just hardcore riding!
I havent really seen alot of R-S riders lately, and they typically use it as a second bike to the LT, at least the ones I have met.
This is just my observation, and not my opinion however, based on the riders I have met.
post #8 of 50 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 2005, 3:51 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1960apache
This is just my observation, and not my opinion however, based on the riders I have met.
If its your observation then surly its your opinion and what a load of shit
post #9 of 50 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 2005, 9:01 am Thread Starter

Bored?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalamaro
Bored again David?
Actually John, no. I have too much going on for that!

My question is quite sincere. Iím curious, not so much about the qualities, design and capacities of the new GT, but about itís intended audience, and who the participants of this board think that might be.

Generally speaking, none here can legitimately criticize BMW engendering and technical prowess. Itís obvious to us all that BMW builds good stuff that lasts. Parts may fail, but thatís expected, and not a significant point of discussion.

And as to the issue of cost, well, truly, this is significant [only] to discussions of personal, financial mobility and maybe, personal ethics. Our relationship to money has no bearing on anything but our own relationship to money.

As a potential GT customer Iíve asked myself over and over if my riding style will FIT THE BIKE, not the other way around. Iím a living, breathing human being, and I can adjust. Iíll change over the years. The GT will not. It will be what it will be for as long as it will be. So it seems right that I ask myself if Iím right for IT rather than if itís right for me. (Thereís a subtle difference here, if you get the point.) In this regard, I should have asked this question before buying the KS, and it appears you should have as well. Although neither of us may have regrets with our choice to buy the S, had we known more about the intended K1200S audience, and used that information to make an educated guessÖwell, you wouldnít be conflicted over keeping it and I wouldnít have sold. It was fun, but so too are occasional lovers, but break-ups are never cheap.

My question, again, is WHO is the GT made for? Is it made for you? I donít know. Is it made for me? It appears the GT is designed for comfortable, FAST, long range, bags-packed-to-the-hilt-take-a-week-or-two-long-range-touring. Itís not a camperís bike. Itís not a Barkalounger-bike. Itís not an around-town-errands bike. It wonít cross a stream. Itíll look silly on the track. Itís not as plush as the LT. So, whom did BMW make the GT for? Any ideas?

As for me, when Iím no longer interested in working, with lots of time on my hands, then, maybe, the GT will make sense. For now, it doesnít.
post #10 of 50 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 2005, 11:25 am

wow thats me-

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1960apache
, the smaller percent I have met, seem to put alot of miles on them and take trips alone?? Not sure what that is about, must be a "Zen" thing!!!
Are you really alone if your i-pod's cranking?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode