08 K12 to Alaske - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 2010, 6:34 pm Thread Starter
Noob

08 K12 to Alaske

I have a conference in Anchorage at the end of June. I am planning to ride the K12 from Spokane up BC Provincial Hwy 97 then to 37 to Whitehorse and on to Anchorage. Good idea or bad? Does anyone know how these highways are? I expect construction due to frost heaves, but I really want to know how the dirt portions are. Are there dirt portions? Any advise would help. PS, how will be look after the trip? We are coming back to Washington via a ferry through the NW passage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 2010, 10:07 pm
Rookie

Alaska

Gr8 idea, my LT has been to Alaska 8 times and it loved it.
Beautiful scenery, excellent people, little traffic, roads are fine.

08K1200GT Adventurin Silver, Full Load

Last edited by Trickster; Feb 4th, 2010 at 10:09 pm. Reason: Error
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 2010, 7:06 am
Noob

Spokane to Anchorage

Have ridden various ways each of the past 3 years. Polson MT to Alaska/Yukon arctic.

Hwy 97 to Prince George then west on 16 to Hwy 37 (the Cassiar). North on 37 to the Alcan. Wonderful motorcycle ride. About 15 miles unpaved on the Cassiar but well maintained. While I rode a GS both times, I have seen every kind of motorcycle up there and everyone did fine. Tha Alcan is a very well used highway....some frost heave and construction in various places, but no problem.

When you get off the Cassiar at Hwy 1 be sure to stop at Sallys Cafe for a meal. On the Alcan fuel and cinnamon rolls at Johnsons Crossing. You can get about anything at Whitehorse. There is a Honda dealer there, pretty well equipped, that can solve most problems. There is a BMW dealer in Anchorage.

When you get into Alaska you will go to Tok junction, then south to Anchorage. Along the hwy about 120 miles or so is Gakona Lodge right on the river....near GlenAllen....my brothers place. Val is a great cook. Stop and say hello....eat, sleep.

I have my route maps in pdf form if you are interested. I planned a route for each day and have my maps set up that way. Email [email protected] or call 406-249-0835. We camped mostly and I can give you some suggestions. Last year we rode end May....absolutely no rain. Previous trips, some rain to a lot of rain. Plan for rain.

This is an awesome trip....and you will have a superb time. Call or email if I can help.

Would head that way again this summer, but am off east to Labrador instead...on my 06 GT.

Tony Marshall, Polson MT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 2010, 3:07 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Thanks Tony,

I will be contacting you for more information as the trip gets closer.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode