Researching "Rev It" outfits - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 2010, 12:49 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Researching "Rev It" outfits

So I've beed wearing jeans and a Hein Gericke leather jacket for 30 years. Been down once and the HG saved my skin (literally) and added a little character to itself. Great jacket but heading out on another ride this summer and the wife wants me to get a full outfit. I know textiles are now on par or exceed leathers for saftey and function so I'll be going that route.

I know of FirstGear (HeinGerick new name right?), Aerostitch and TourMaster....but what about Rev It brand?

Does anyone have any experience with their products? Specifically their textile jackets and pants?

Thanks,
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 2010, 12:58 pm
2 heads are better than 1

Not too familiar with the Rev It stuff. I've become a big fan of the Olympia gear over the past few years. Good quality, good fit and excellent support, and fairly reasonably priced. The Cycleport Kevlar and Ultra Mesh suits are really good as well. I'm not a big fan of Aerostitch myself but they do make a high quality product. One of my best friends swears by his Roadcrafter.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 BMW R1200RT Polar Metallic
2008 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S Red (of course)

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 2010, 1:33 pm
Enthusiast

I wear Rev'it stuff. Great clothing. They are layered so you can add or remove depending on weather. Nice quality. http://www.beachmoto.com/revit/gear.php

Wayne

http://fergie.smugmug.com/

2006 K1200GT Blue
2008 F800ST Blue (Wifes)
2006 R1200RT (Traded)
2006 Kawasaki Ninja 500R (Traded)
1999 K1200LT (Sold)
1985 K100RT (Sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 2010, 8:50 pm
Rookie

Outfit?

Don't let your wife make u get an outfit, thats womens wear.
Men wear suits or pant and jacket combinations

Sorry, just a pet peeve.....outfit

08K1200GT Adventurin Silver, Full Load
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 2010, 9:28 pm
Enthusiast

Wayne

http://fergie.smugmug.com/

2006 K1200GT Blue
2008 F800ST Blue (Wifes)
2006 R1200RT (Traded)
2006 Kawasaki Ninja 500R (Traded)
1999 K1200LT (Sold)
1985 K100RT (Sold)
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 2010, 11:03 pm
Addict

Rev it has a new suit called Sand. Looks like I'll be getting it for use on my GT and for my recently acquired GS Adventure too. A bit lighter than their Cayenne Pro (which compares to the BMW Rallye Pro 2), but with just about all the same features at a much better price.
Liners for cold weather and rain zip in/out. Matching pants available for stylin' too

Here's a review: http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/rev-it/sand-jacket/

and a picture....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rev-it-sand-jacket-2.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	11579  

2008 K1200GT, Custom Paint, Vivid Black, Aeroflow WS & Aeroguards, Givi E52 Maxia Topcase w/AdMore Lighting, Zumo 660, Suburban Footpeg Lowering, Sargent Seat

2009 R1200GS Adventure, Magnesium Grey/Black, Adventure Cases, Zumo 660, Touratech Unobtanium Accessories

1974 Norton Commando 850 Soon to be a restoration project
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 2010, 5:00 am
Veteran

I bought a RevIt Dragon jacket about three months ago. It replaced my old, unarmored leather jacket. I like the RevIt Dragon. IMHO, it is well-designed and a good value.

I also have Olympia Airglide 2 pants. It is hard to compare apples and oranges, but I would say that the RevIt is a better quality product overall. There are positives and negatives about each brand.

You can probably save money by buying gear over the Internet, but in this case, you need to try on the jackets before purchase. Like most jackets with removable liners, it should be snug when all the liners are in, but not constricting. Otherwise, the jacket will be too loose when you take the liners out. The velcro straps on the arms and waist help with easy adjustments (off the bike). I tried many jackets at the local BMW dealer before buying the Dragon from them. How they fit was a key factor in my decision. While trying them on, I sat on one of the bikes in the showroom to see how they feel while riding. My second choice would have been the Cayenne.

I haven't had the courage to trust the pants or jacket inner liners in the rain. I use Froggs Toggs over the outside of my gear and they work well. They are easy to put on and take off when needed. Installing and removing liners can be annoying, especially if you are compulsive about those little snaps and loops at the ends of your pant legs and sleeves. The RevIt jacket has two liners - rain and insulation. To add the rain liner, you have to remove the insulation liner if it is installed, put the rain liner in, then put the insulation liner back in. If you don't care about the little snaps at the end of your sleeves, you can add a liner quickly - zip/zip/done. Most of the time I know which liners I want (or not) before I go riding.

Removing (hot day) and installing (cold night) the liner from the Olympia pants cost me too much time on an Iron Butt B2B Extreme ride (24 hours). You have to take the pants off to change them, which is probably true for all pants with removable liners. I had to settle for the standard B2B in under 36 hours.

Here is a good review of the RevIt Dragon. I have the black with high-viz yellow highlights as shown.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/rev-it/dragon-jacket/

Last edited by XMagnaRider; Feb 6th, 2010 at 5:06 am.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 2010, 9:43 am

I rode in a 2007 Rev-it IGNITION jacket for 2 years and loved it, but I do not know if they make it anymore. (should never have sold it) It was a combination Leather/Mesh Jacket that fit great although I did need to put a gore-tex shell over it in the rain. It was a little big with the liner out (which is they way I used it 90% of the time) so I really should have gotten the next size down. For this reason I sold it along with my Rev-it FACTOR pants, and bought the BMW Rallye 2 Pro suit last summer...but in hind-sight liked the Rev-it stuff better. Oh well - live and learn The Rev-it FACTOR pants were good too. So IMHO, they make pretty good stuff. However, I have heard from dealers and the past rep, that the US distributor is a "nightmare" to deal with, so all 3 of our local dealers here in Maine and New Hampshire have dropped the Rev-it line
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	NOVA SCOTIA.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	11580  

Coach
North Conway, N.H.

'09 R200GS
'10 Triumph Tiger-SE
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 2010, 1:56 pm
Addict

I have the Revit Cayenne Pro set, and could not be happier. I picked up a new GT in 2008, and got the Revit Cayenne Pro same time to replace my of Kilimanjaro from First Gear. It was about 6 years old, and still in great condition, just way to hot, and bulky. The Cayenne pro and the First gear Kilimanjaro are like night and day. The Revit Cayenne Pro has three layers one is waterproof, the other is insulation the shell makes up the third layer. The Revit accomplished more than the First Gear in a lighter, more flexible, better looking package. The fit and finish of the Revit product are far superior as well. The First Gear stuff was not really water proof so I needed to haul around rain gear. The Cayenne pro is water proof completely after hour of riding in the pouring rain last summer I can vouch for that, and it breathes very well, and the ventilation is excellent on hot days. I ordered mine from Revzilla, great staff very easy to work with, and a reasonable exchange policy, they truly want you to be happy with the purchase. See the thumbnail for the Cayenne Pro I have.
Check here: http://www.revzilla.com/ for pricing, they run a bit small for European guys I guess order one size larger than you are use too.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC00127small.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	370.8 KB
ID:	11582  

MOA Member #106320
2003 R1150RT Titan Silver
2008 K1200GT Dark Graphite
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 2010, 2:56 pm
Rookie

Rev it

I believe Rev it is part of Tour Master. I had there 3 in 1 came with a winter liner and a water proof liner. With everything in the jacket was very tight and sloppy with everything out. On my short walk from the parking lot into work was enough to cause the velcro at the end of the sleeve to "fur" up the lower side of the jacket from my arm swinging back and forth. I cannot tell you the exact model I had but it was blue, white and black and had leather in the shoulders and elbows. Most of the snaps that secure the inner liner broke in no time. I sent an email to the company and they told me that I could return the jacket and then they sent my email address to everyone else who sent in a complaint and I started receiving other peoples email addresses as well. It was quite a mess for about two weeks.When it rains the jacket gets soaked. The rain proof line is inside. I'd much rather don an over jacket to keep the jacket dry and me warm. I now have an Olympic jacket and I am much happier with this jacket although I think my next one will be an alpine star.

Rick

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode