Anyone parting out a GT? Need a headlight... - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 2010, 3:47 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Anyone parting out a GT? Need a headlight...

I'm in need of a new headlight assy. I hit a pothole the size of Arkansas and not only did it take out me wheel, but my headlight assy. is kaput. The adj. parts in the back must have went flying and BMW doesn't sell any of the parts that I need. They are happy to sell me a new assy. but I'd like to see if I can find a used one and either take the parts off I need or just change it over. I'd even like a busted one, since my reflector and back piece seem to be okay. It is just the adjusting parts and I've tried to rig something up but can't seem to make anything work...

Pics to follow at some point, but just thought I'd try here real quick first...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 2010, 4:06 pm
Enthusiast

Have you tried beemer boneyard.
http://www.beemerboneyard.com/

Wayne

http://fergie.smugmug.com/

2006 K1200GT Blue
2008 F800ST Blue (Wifes)
2006 R1200RT (Traded)
2006 Kawasaki Ninja 500R (Traded)
1999 K1200LT (Sold)
1985 K100RT (Sold)
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 2010, 4:28 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergie
Have you tried beemer boneyard.
http://www.beemerboneyard.com/
Yep, thanks but went there first... I'm a big fan!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 2010, 7:10 pm
Veteran

Am wondering if a European car might use the same parts you need, can you try to describe the missing parts?
Gilly

"No problem is so big or so complicated that it can't be run away from"

Dark Graphite: Making bikes faster for over 40 years.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 2010, 12:02 am
Veteran

Bummer dude....pot holes suck. And there seem to be more and more lately.

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 2010, 2:24 am Thread Starter
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GillyWI
Am wondering if a European car might use the same parts you need, can you try to describe the missing parts?
Gilly
Okay, I'll try to describe what I think is missing: The nut (that black 10mm hex piece) and however it captured the screw inside the assy. I'm trying to get pictures of what I got left. (This picture is just from a week prior when I installed an HID...)

Somehow that captured the boss on the threaded part that allowed you to adjust the inside assy./reflector. I can't find any loose pieces inside, but there must have been something there. I still have the while flip liver and a white piece that should have connected to the boss, but can't figure out how it was connected!

Here's whats is missing from the outside that I can tell anyway:

I'll try to find and post pictures of the inside later...
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 2010, 2:47 am Thread Starter
Addict

Here is the wheel after I stripped it down:

(I took it to an OUTstanding fellow nearby that got it fixed up! He did have to weld a little spot that was cracking, but it looks great. I need to take after pics and also paint it...)

I don't know how it held air!

Here is the best picture I have so far of the inside of the light. These little stops broke, but they are the least of my concerns, and of course I found those little broken pieces.

I just can't figure out what went around the threaded steel piece that also captures the white slider piece you can barely make out in the picture:

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 2010, 3:05 am Thread Starter
Addict

Okay, I'm just thinking out loud and keep trying to figure out how this worked... but I'm wondering if that nut/adjuster was just pressed onto the knurled section of the adjustment screw. That would work for all the pulling/adjusting but there is a lot of spring pressure on this thing. That must be why there are no pieces inside the headlight. The "boss" I thought was part of the capture of this thing is actually the stop for adjusting it too low/close to the aft side of the housing...

What say you all of the great collective wisdom? Anyone ever pay attention to how this thing is put together. Is the black nut I'm missing just pressed on to the shaft? Could that cheesy set up be worth my having to cough up $650 bones for a new assembly? I'll try to make something work tonight and let Y'all know if I came up with something...
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 2010, 7:12 am Thread Starter
Addict

Okay, I'm aware that I didn't give ANY of Y'all time to answer or help, but I think I got it!!! (This is a byproduct of over 20 years of graveyard shift! I have found that if I stay up real late on my "Sunday" I am much sharper on my "Monday." So I was up while Y'all were all cozy and asleep.)

The only way I could figure to make something permanent since I would never be able to bond the (unobtainable anyway!) infamous black nut back on, I figured out another way to do it. I used a die to thread the part of the screw/adj. steel shaft and put a nut on it. Trust me on this, that sounds MUCH easier than it was! I had to do a few different mods to a few parts, but I can now adjust my headlight still and should have enough room either way (up or down) to make it aim correctly.

Why? you might ask... Just get a new one Jackass! Well, I know that if I turn this little one into my insurance who just raised my rates for having two tickets, they may very well boot me. I also know that turning this into CalTrans and getting paid will be a VERY long process and I really can't float the state a loan... PLUS, I like a good "shade tree" job...

I'll post if it didn't give me enough range of adjustment...

The piece I threaded:

A better pic of the reflector deflector:

All done, I never used the quick change lever anyway, and even with shortening the plunger shaped thingy, I just didn't have room for it.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 2010, 2:00 pm
IBR# 366

Looks good, Richard. It's not like you have to adjust that every day. Just get it set where you want it, then leave it alone.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode