Serious HIDs - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 2010, 4:54 pm Thread Starter
IBR# 366

Serious HIDs

I've been meaning to post about my auxiliary lighting, as I get quite a few questions about it. Note that I take lighting very seriously, as I do a lot of nighttime miles and I want to see as much of the road ahead as possible. Like anything else, the good stuff isn't cheap, but neither is smashing up the bike in the middle of the night in the middle of nowhere.

I am running four HID driving lights in addition to the BMW factory Xenon low beam. These are mounted on a custom bracket that a friend and I welded up in his garage. I played with mirror mounts for a while, but the angles and depths were weird, plus I couldn't get anything quite strong enough to hold the larger, heavier lights. The Jimmy Mounts are good for small lights, but not all that strong (and crazy expensive), nor do they allow enough room for anything with a decent sized reflector (and thus a larger light body).

The four ballasts are mounted on the shelf in front of the ABS module, where some folks have mounted a Stebel horn (my horn is mounted under the right side panel instead).

So while I would have preferred a higher mounting location, what we came up with has been working fine for the last 60K miles or so.

Note that the links given below are the places that I actually bough each of the lights from. In all cases, these are smaller vendors who understand motorcycles very well, because they actually ride themselves. And they've all given great service, from my initial questions, through the ordering and shipping, and into after sales care. These are the type of folks that I like to do business with.

The upper oblong lights are the 3rd Generation Philips HIDs. They give a great width of light, but not quite enough down-road punch for me. I'd say at best they reach about as far as the stock high beams do, with just a bit more brightness than the factory halogen bulbs. Which isn't quite enough for how I ride.

So the right one is aimed farther down the road but turned out towards the right ditch and trees (to catch those pesky deer), and the left one is aimed slightly more centered and down just a bit, to minimize glare to oncoming traffic. That allows me to fill in the holes left by the stock HID low beam, but still keep them on full time in most situations. Any sort of divided road, like an Interstate or a local highway with a dedicated middle lane for left turns gives enough "clearance" so that 99% of drivers aren't bothered. I will dim them just as I come up to pass a slower car in the right lane (or else flood their interior with HID brilliance ), but they go back on as soon as I pass their front bumper. If car and pedestrian traffic is heavy when passing through small towns I'll turn them off, but if it's very late and the streets are empty I'll leave them on, which means I can usually see into shop windows and a bit down alleys and such.

The lower round lights are the newer 4th Generation Philips HIDs. These put out a simply awesome amount of illumination. Think of football stadium flood lights. Seriously. In fact, I can't use them if there is any oncoming traffic in the next 1/2 mile or more. But if I'm alone on the highway (which is reasonable frequent given the miles I do, especially at night) then I have daylight at the flick of a switch. Or if I'm climbing some random mountain in the wee small hours (also reasonably frequently for me) then I can see not only way down the road, but out through the trees and beyond.

Trust me, when the 4G lights are on, I can't even tell if my high beam is active or not.

The only thing I'd still like to add is a set of low-wattage amber fog lights somewhere down on the forks. This gives much better penetration in dense fog where you can't run the brights due to back-glare (remember that comment about climbing mountains in the wee small hours?). It also gives that daytime triangle of light to catch the brain-dead cager's attention, and the amber makes it stand out even more (besides having better fog penetration). In fact, I already have the lights (a set of Hella FF50's with their fog lenses), but I've yet to work out a suitable bracket.

Well, that and a FLIR infrared night vision system.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

Last edited by Meese; Feb 9th, 2010 at 5:22 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 2010, 5:10 pm
JCW
contributor

Maybe?

https://www.motolight.com/index.php?...ery&gallery=34

'06 K1200R- in pieces
'73 Honda CB500F- slow but fun.
'77 Yamaha XS 750 triple- kinda
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 2010, 5:14 pm

Very nice Ken!

2009 K1300GT
My Photo Site
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 2010, 5:14 pm
Enthusiast

That is some serious lighting.
Does that fry the bugs before they get to the bike.

Wayne

http://fergie.smugmug.com/

2006 K1200GT Blue
2008 F800ST Blue (Wifes)
2006 R1200RT (Traded)
2006 Kawasaki Ninja 500R (Traded)
1999 K1200LT (Sold)
1985 K100RT (Sold)
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 2010, 5:15 pm

JCW,

I've never been a fan of the fork mounted lights. Something about the look that I just don't care for. As you demonstrate in your photos it does give a very impressive triangle of light however.

2009 K1300GT
My Photo Site
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 2010, 5:20 pm Thread Starter
IBR# 366

I actually have a set of Motolights in the garage somewhere, but I haven't gotten around to mounting them yet. Like the PIAAs or Jimmy mounts, I find them overly pricey for their actual function (note that I'm not afraid to spend the cash if I get the results though). I'd rather sell 'em and just go with the Hellas for better fog performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGShaffer
As you demonstrate in your photos it does give a very impressive triangle of light however.
And that's key for daytime conspicuity, as well as an advantage in dense fog.

Remember, fog lights should be low-mounted and low power, and driving lights should be high-mounted and as bright as you can afford (either $$ or wattage wise).

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 2010, 5:21 pm
JCW
contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGShaffer
JCW,

I've never been a fan of the fork mounted lights. Something about the look that I just don't care for. As you demonstrate in your photos it does give a very impressive triangle of light however.
Neither have I, really. And the lack of dampening probably shortens bulb light?

Meese,
This is one of my favorite sites for Hella
http://www.rallylights.com/hella/Default.aspx

How bout the microDE fogs?

The DE fogs look like the ticket, but would need some serious work to enclose it...

'06 K1200R- in pieces
'73 Honda CB500F- slow but fun.
'77 Yamaha XS 750 triple- kinda
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 2010, 8:08 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meese
So the right one is aimed farther down the road but turned out towards the right ditch and trees (to catch those pesky deer),

So, what about the deer that come over from the left, you are OK with those??

Trust me, when the 4G lights are on, I can't even tell if my high beam is active or not.

There's a blue light that comes on along with the high beams, in the center of the instrument panel.

The only thing I'd still like to add is a set of low-wattage amber fog lights somewhere down on the forks.

What about changing the bulbs on the upper set to a lower Kelvin number (below 4000K), the ones that are useable as fog lights as the color is a yellow tint?

, but I've yet to work out a suitable bracket.

Here is a thought; could you remove the rearview mirrors, use thise holes for a mount, then go with either mirrors in the holes in the handlebar controls, or if those are already in use, bar end mirrors?

Well, that and a FLIR infrared night vision system.

No need for FLIR just yet; I'm sure if you keep at it, your vision of a stadium light on 2 wheels will come true yet!
Gilly

"No problem is so big or so complicated that it can't be run away from"

Dark Graphite: Making bikes faster for over 40 years.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 2010, 1:18 am
Veteran

Dude....nice write up. I need to digest it for a while.....hmm.....new lighting.....

Something about the way fork mounted lights travel with my vision though that I like. I live in serious critter country and I love having as much lighting as possible, I need to think about mounting some HID's up higher in addition to the fork mounted PIAA's. Could be a nice upgrade. I keep thinking about HID's for the high beams too.

I also like to get off the road at "deer 30". I'd rather ride at 3 am than an hour or so before and after sunset.

BTW....edit....just looked at those 4G Hid's you have linked........$700 Holy lumen cost.....

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

Last edited by Robert_W; Feb 10th, 2010 at 1:31 am.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 2010, 4:14 am Thread Starter
IBR# 366

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCW
This is one of my favorite sites for Hella
http://www.rallylights.com/hella/Default.aspx
Nice site, although I paid a bit less for my FF50's. Still, they have a lot of great comparison info, especially on beam patterns which is very useful.

The MicroDE fogs look good, with a good beam pattern and a smaller, rounder housing. I wonder if the beam pattern is directional, or if I could simply rotate the housing 90 which would simplify the mounting bracket considerably?

Of course, the FF50's use standard H7 bulbs, same as what's already in the GT, so in an emergency you could swap out bulbs. But if I changed those bulbs out for amber, and changed my high beams to HIDs also, that wouldn't really matter.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode