Windshield - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 2010, 12:25 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Cool Windshield

Hi New to site don't know if this is right eay of doing things but here goes
Just bought a k1200gt se (traded in st1300) but the windshield is to small with loads of noise , what after market screen do i buy and do they make a lot of difference
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 2010, 12:36 pm

An excellent purchase, welcome to the group.

Lots of options on windshields: Cee Bailey, V-Technic, Aerostream, etc.

I found the factory tall did not provide enough protection for my wife, it put her right in the convergence zone where the airflow comes back together which is very rough. Ended up with a CalSci unit that works very well.

A forum search here for windshield and windscreen will yield lots of good information.

Good luck and happy rides,
Jeff

06 K12GT DGM - Bavarian 'Bahn Burner
08 X6 Sapphire Black - The Batmobile
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 2010, 12:40 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmechanic
Hi New to site don't know if this is right eay of doing things but here goes
Just bought a k1200gt se (traded in st1300) but the windshield is to small with loads of noise , what after market screen do i buy and do they make a lot of difference
I like the ZTechnik V-Stream shield...IMHO much better than the stock BMW high screen. I believe it comes in 2 heights...but at 5' 11" tall, the standard height is fine with me.

Part # Z2452 - VStream for K1200GT/K1300GT Clear $ 219.95
http://shop.nationalcycle.com/perl/c...h_model=bm-072

Coach
North Conway, N.H.

'09 R200GS
'10 Triumph Tiger-SE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 2010, 3:25 pm
IBR# 366

Hi Martin, and welcome. I hope you're enjoying that lovely Blackpool beach weather.

Picking the proper windshield is a personal decision, based on what you expect from a windscreen (looks, wind protection, safety) as much as anything. Fortunately, we have a lot of choices. Trust me, I tried them all, and here's what I finally concluded.

If you like the sportier look of the factory screen but want better airflow, get a CalSci screen. It has the basic stock shape, but the cutouts allow for much smoother air flow. You can find some discussion in this thread. It is available in various heights. The biggest downside is that it can scratch easily so you have to clean it carefully, but there is no distortion when riding.

If you want the ultimate in wind protection, then get the AeroFlow setup. Their compound curve screen combined with their Laminar Flow Plate makes a dramatic improvement in smoothing airflow for both rider and passenger. Adding the AeroGuards takes all the wind off your hands and forearms. With that setup, I can ride in mesh gloves down to about 50F, and I no longer get bugs splattered all up my arms.

If your primary concern is safety, then go with the V-Stream. It is made from Polycarbonate (like the stock BMW screen) which has far superior impact resistance than the Acrylic that most other aftermarket screens are made of. I've never had a problem with an Acrylic screen, but some riders refuse to use them. Personally I found the V-Stream airflow better than stock, but not as good as CalSci or AeroFlow.

Other folks like the Parabellum, Cee Bailey, Laminar Lip options, but the above is what I recommend after trying them all.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

Last edited by Meese; Feb 14th, 2010 at 3:32 pm.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 2010, 11:28 am

Ken,
I have the stock screen,Cee Bailey, and V-Stream. All suck in my opinion. Way to noisy. I would like to try the Aeroflow or Calsci. The aero flow sounds like the best from your advice. My concern is that I have a big mak shelf that uses the Big Mak deflector. The AF shield replaces this deflector. Can I still use my shelf?

Brian Ley
2007 GT
2010 650GS
2000 LT sold but not forgotten

Last edited by Meese; Feb 15th, 2010 at 12:48 pm.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 2010, 12:49 pm
IBR# 366

Hey Brian,

Well, AeroFlow is about an hour from me, so head on down and we'll figure something out. We could probably even get to your valves then, too.

Actually, I've never tried this combination myself. But a friend of mine has. Let me ping him and see what he found out.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 2010, 1:41 pm
IBR# 366

Well, my friend had previously asked about this combination, but ended up making his own shelf instead. So no help there, sorry.

I still say if you come down my way, we can do a test-fit.

Or, I've always wanted to combine the AeroFlow laminar flow plate with a Big Mak-style shelf and make the whole thing out of aluminum. Maybe I need to head north instead and make use of that excellent shop up your way.

Has anyone else run an AeroFlow screen with a Big Mak shelf?

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 2010, 11:12 pm

Ken,
Come on up this way. I bet your bike could use a good cleaning by now. Our liquid sunshine does wonders.

Brian Ley
2007 GT
2010 650GS
2000 LT sold but not forgotten
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 2010, 12:29 pm

Agreed. Aeroflow is the ticket.

Un-used mirror hole mounting posts AVAILABLE

Check it out here!
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 2010, 1:14 pm
Veteran

Wonder what the result would be if you (or I) were to put a reasonable facsimile of the Cal Sci holes into a stock screen, or my tinted Parabellum screen (which is shaped much like a stock screen but a bit taller)? I don't know if I'd want to take a chance with the stock one, but the tinted one I might. I know I'd have to be careful with it or end up with a piece of junk plastic, probably use a dremel-type tool?

Gilly

"No problem is so big or so complicated that it can't be run away from"

Dark Graphite: Making bikes faster for over 40 years.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode