'08 GT Stalling [NOT THE USUAL STORY] - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 2010, 8:28 pm Thread Starter
Noob

'08 GT Stalling [NOT THE USUAL STORY]

My GT stalled yesterday in the middle of traffic. Ironically, I was riding home from my 12k service at the local dealer. Now i am intimately familiar with the high-idle/bucking bike/airbox problems. My bike's airbox was updated long ago and has performed nearly flawlessly since, except for the occasional stall.

The bike stalled as I pulled in the clutch while slowing to roll through an intersection. When this has happened in the past, I could always thumb the starter and the bike would restart instantly. This time, I could not restart the bike. Every time I pushed the starter, it would turn once... then nothing. Pushing again, it would turn once... then nothing. I keyed off the ignition to "reboot" the bike, and still the starter would only crank once. I was able to start the bike by holding the throttle open and thumbing the starter.

I went back to the dealer, who at first suspected the battery. The battery checked out okay. There was a fault thrown ("Lost communication with CANBUS" or some such), so at least I was not imaging this.

Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 2010, 8:50 pm
IBR# 366

It's likely that the dealer reset the electronics during the service (especially if they unhooked the battery or updated the software), so the adaptive system needs a few miles to "relearn" your riding habits. This can manifest itself as the bike's rpms dropping down too far when the throttle is closed completely while the clutch is pulled in, thus the bike dies instead of settling in to a nice, even idle.

Also, the factory BMW battery is relatively weak, which shows up as having trouble cranking over a warm engine. Many of us have fixed that by going to a higher quality Odyssey PC680MJ battery which has more than enough power to crank over the Slant/4 under any conditions.

But the reported fault is worrisome, and should not be ignored.

Either way, the fact that it happened right after a full service is significant. You can either leave the bike at the dealer's and hope they can reproduce the problem and sort it, or you can hope it's just the adaptive system sorting itself out and put a few more miles on the bike yourself.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 2010, 11:47 am
Veteran

Don't know why they can't at least have it at some operational baseline where the fool thing won't stall.
Can't they just initially have it running like some guy in Germany named "Guenther" rides his bike (I'm sure Guenther doesn't normally allow the bike to stall in the middle of an intersection.)
Gilly

"No problem is so big or so complicated that it can't be run away from"

Dark Graphite: Making bikes faster for over 40 years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 2010, 1:48 pm
IBR# 366

Quote:
Originally Posted by GillyWI
Don't know why they can't at least have it at some operational baseline where the fool thing won't stall.
Well, it's not like the old carb days where you had an idle screw and a lock nut. Now the computer is in charge, and the computer always knows best . . .

As for Guenther, I'd like to have a word with him. Overall, he's a pretty poor beta tester from what I can tell . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 2010, 5:12 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Back at the dealer, the bike started up over and over for them, so they began to suspect something other than the battery right way. They told me the charge on the battery seemed fine. Earlier in the day at the 12k, they didn't perform any software updates because the bike was up-to-date. By the time I made it back to their shop after my stall, it was 4:30. There wasn't time to flash the software that day. They r & r-ed the battery under warranty just in case, and I will keep my fingers crossed. If it happens again, I'll be back to have the software flashed.

At the very least, I'm glad I got the fault code logged so if this turns out to be an ongoing problem, I have it on record.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 2010, 6:54 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbbeck
...At the very least, I'm glad I got the fault code logged so if this turns out to be an ongoing problem, I have it on record.
Which is a good reason for anyone still under warranty to not ever clear a fault code with the GS-911 <damhik!>.

Oh, Guenther wasn't allowed near the S1000RR as a beta tester (knock on wood).

Mack
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 2010, 7:19 pm
Addict

I have read numerous threads about guys who pick up their bike right after service, and suddenly they have problems they never had before. I think the dealers are disconnecting the battery, and not doing a throttle position sensor reset before turning the bike back to the customer. I would disconnect the battery do a TPS reset and see what happens.

MOA Member #106320
2003 R1150RT Titan Silver
2008 K1200GT Dark Graphite
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 2010, 9:12 pm
IBR# 366

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008-K1200GT
I would disconnect the battery do a TPS reset and see what happens.
Good call.

For those who don't know, here's the procedure for resetting the Throttle Position Sensor (shamelessly stolen from another thread):
  • Disconnect the battery by removing the positive cable and holding it on the negative terminal for a minute or so. This lets the electrical system "discharge".
  • Reconnect the positive battery cable.
  • Turn the ignition switch to the ON position, but do not start the bike.
  • Twist the throttle to the full open stop and then full closed again 3 times.
  • Turn ignition off.

You're now ready to go.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Last edited by Meese; Feb 15th, 2010 at 9:18 pm.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 2010, 1:25 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meese
......As for Guenther, I'd like to have a word with him. Overall, he's a pretty poor beta tester from what I can tell . . .
Hate to correct you guys but it is the customer base that are the beta testers

2009 KGT1300 Apple Red (mine)
2008 RT Biarritz Blue (mine - sold)
2005 ST Piedmont Red/Light Magnesium (hers)
Luis Roth
BMWMOA #143775 IBA# 35651
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 2010, 2:35 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semper_Fi
Hate to correct you guys but it is the customer base that are the beta testers
I don't know if there has ever been a written word that I would agree with more!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode