Aftermarket Seats - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 2010, 7:36 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Aftermarket Seats

I have been looking at aftermarket seats for a 2007 K1200GT. One of the manufacturers I have been looking at that is not genrally discussed on most boards is KonTour seats. They have an interesting story about how they designa and make their seats.

Has anyone had experience with KonTour seats? Dealing with the company, design and comfort of their seats and durability/reliability of their product.

Thanks in advance

Francis

Last edited by francis; Feb 16th, 2010 at 7:37 pm. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 2010, 10:05 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by francis
I have been looking at aftermarket seats for a 2007 K1200GT. One of the manufacturers I have been looking at that is not genrally discussed on most boards is KonTour seats. They have an interesting story about how they designa and make their seats.

Has anyone had experience with KonTour seats? Dealing with the company, design and comfort of their seats and durability/reliability of their product.

Thanks in advance

Francis
One problem comes to mind with Kontour seats, and it might explain why you don't see them much in the seat comparison threads. There seats are ugly

MOA Member #106320
2003 R1150RT Titan Silver
2008 K1200GT Dark Graphite
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 2010, 10:51 pm
Addict

If ugly were a factor (and it should not be IMNSHO) then there would not be so many Russell seats installed at the last group buy, because those babies are really as unpleasant to look at as they are great to sit on. Remember, you can't see your seat when your sitting on it and riding unless you have eyes in your ass (optical rectalitis - which leads to a shi^&(&ty outlook on life).

Kon Tour's are expensive, and claim to be built of wonderful materials. I have not had the pleasure. The maker claims great things. Maybe someone with first hand knowledge can comment.

2008 K1200GT, Custom Paint, Vivid Black, Aeroflow WS & Aeroguards, Givi E52 Maxia Topcase w/AdMore Lighting, Zumo 660, Suburban Footpeg Lowering, Sargent Seat

2009 R1200GS Adventure, Magnesium Grey/Black, Adventure Cases, Zumo 660, Touratech Unobtanium Accessories

1974 Norton Commando 850 Soon to be a restoration project
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 2010, 2:12 am
Rookie

I am the proud owner of a KonTour re-covered seat. I have had aftermarket seats on every bike I have ever owned. This time around, rather than choose leather (which is a great material if you like a hot and sweaty crotch) I went with Polar Mesh. Since I ride my bike more often than I stare at it, looks take a back seat to performance. Let me tell you, once you take one ride on a seat that puts air beneath the boys, the smile gets just a tad bigger!!

The folks at KonTour were great to deal with. I had them remove an inch from the seat height and kept the seat warmers (which work just fine.)
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 2010, 9:34 am
Addict

I had a Kontour on my LT. It was by far the coolest seat I've ever had, but I was not impressed with the comfort. I now have a Russell on my GT and it is by far the most comfortable seat I've ever had.

Doug Turner
'86 Concours
'99 K1200LT - gone
'06 K1200GT - the new kid in town
'08 Wing - gone
Marshall, TX
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 2010, 11:00 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwsdad
I had a Kontour on my LT. It was by far the coolest seat I've ever had, but I was not impressed with the comfort. I now have a Russell on my GT and it is by far the most comfortable seat I've ever had.
+2

Mack
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 2010, 5:27 am
Noob

Smile Better than a Corbin

I had the KonTour recovered for my 09 1300GT last September. In comparison to the past two Corbins I had on my last bikes, this is a FAR BETTER Option! It fits me and my pillion, breathes nicely (and also keeps my bum warm on those cool mornings).

I'll be curious to see how much more comfortable it will be in the heat of summer...so I'll report back more then.

As for looks, I like it much better than the saucer-shape of a Russell... Additionally, I think most people think it's ugly because they've been told they need to have a hot, sweaty leather seat on their bike...

As for price, has anyone ever priced out the cost of an electric Corbin for a 1300GT? Say good bye to the better part of $1000.

As for service with KonTour, they were great! Excellent communication, and their work was much faster than promised.

I'd buy another KonTour over other options in a moment.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 2010, 7:41 am
Noob

Quality product

I'm coming up on three years and almost 25k miles with a Kontour
re-build for my '07 GT.

The highest compliment I can give it is that I rarely think about. I'm
typically going 2-3 hours between stops and don't notice that I'm
sitting on anything. It's quite comfy as it conforms to your body. I
have the older kind of cover material that he used (not the Polar
Mesh) and it's been bullet-proof. It is tough and there are no
concerns with it getting wet. I've heard people complain that the
seats take a long time to dry, but I always wear a one-piece 'stich
and this has never bothered me.

I had both the passenger and driver seats re-built, and I've never
found them to be ugly, but I have to admit to not caring about
the looks nearly as much as the function.

If or when I replace my bike, there is no question that I'll be asking
Ron to do another one for me. It's a quality product, worth the price
in my opinion.

Rob
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 2010, 10:40 am

Bill Mayer for me. They are in SoCal so it was only a 200 miler for custom seat. I had Corbins for the first 2 years and 15k miles. they were beautiful seats. WAAAY to hard for 200+ rides though. I went with them after my local PD RTP riders had their seats. I figured i would try them. I can say i am totally happy and can easily do my 500+ weekend rides with out any issues. Half the price of the Corbins too. Oh, i ride year around here in Cen Cal. Which means the coldest is around 30 and the OEM warmers work great. Spring to Fall is 100s on a regular occasion. Never really had a heat problem in the 30 years on bikes with any seat! Must be the low humidity in Cali!

2007 K1200GT
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 2010, 8:03 pm
Veteran

Here is an ongoing thread about Bill Mayer seats:

http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20946

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode