K1300 GT H7 HID Replacement - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 2010, 12:04 am Thread Starter
Rookie

K1300 GT H7 HID Replacement

Has anybody here on the forum replaced thier H7 high beams with HID's?

I went ahead and purchased a HID kit for my van and the lighting is out of this world. I have the Piaa Cross Country Hid & Piaa 1100 mounted on the bike but for the price of lights and brackets it still does not come close to my van.

I was about to jump on the HID H7'S but I have seen some issue's with the canbus where you may need a decoder (External Device) to fool the computer. Adding the extra components to the bike becomes a space issue.

Let me know I am interested in your thoughts.

I have to tell you I am not impressed with Cross Country HID's after seeing the light output.

Thanks
Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 2010, 11:51 am
Addict

Yes I did this upgrade just before I left for Tucson from New Orleans. I got the kits from the Pirate's Lair and talked to Jerry (the pirate) personally before I did the install. It is promoted as "idiot proof" but I needed to make sure that was true.

The kit goes in quickly and without difficulty. I spent more time looking for a good place to attach the balasts then installing the bulbs and wires.

The lighting is nothing short of amazing and I would say it's the best money I have spent on upgrading a bike. I rode 17 hours from Houston to Tucson and lots of that was at night. With the bright lights on, you simply cannot outdrive the beams. I wasn't going over the limit, maybe 80-90 on highway 10 so understand that you are turning night into day with these lights.

I put the HID's in the lowbeam position and the clutch side high beam. I left the right side high beam incandescent for flashing.

I carried a spare incandescent bulb with me but there was no failure of the system. Truly idiot proof.

Let me know if you need any further info, this install is quick and easy.

Best,

Gravity

2007 K1200 Sport -- Ev0 Filter x 2 -- Fire Breathing Dragon!
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 2010, 12:36 pm
IBR# 366

The high beams can be updated to HID. The main issue is that the CanBus assumes that you don't actually need high beams when stopped, so it cuts the high beam voltage down under 10 volts when you're not moving, meaning the high beams won't fire up (which is really confusing if you're bench testing the HIDs in your garage). Once you're actually riding the voltage goes back up to normal and the HIDs will fire just fine.

Some folks get worried about the ability to "flash" their HIDs at other motorists. That never bothered me for three reasons. First, even before an HID fully warms up (which only takes a few seconds), it's already brighter than a halogen bulb. Second, I had a low beam HID in my LT for over 100K miles and it worked just fine through all of those on/off cycles. And third, I pretty much never flash at other motorists, so it never seemed like a problem to me.

And yeah, I came to the same conclusions on the PIAA/Trail Tech HIDs . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 2010, 5:22 am Thread Starter
Rookie

Would I be making a mistake using the 55W ballast?
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 2010, 10:45 am
Addict

For those who have upgraded their high beams in a 1200/1300GT... does the HID lamp and wiring fit entirely behind the access plate cover like stock, or does the cover need to be modified to allow the HID cabling to fit?
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 2010, 12:17 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcoccia
I would also like to know this. I'm looking at the 55 watt DDM kits now and after searching can't find any one that's installed them for the high beams.

So has any one tried the 55 watt kit for the high beams yet? 35 watts x 2 would probably be a significant upgrade and the safe way to go but if the 55 watters work.....IE don't throw any faults, not too much heat etc....then I'd probably go with them.

Speak up guys.....it's starting to thaw up here and I need to get out! (With new lights...)

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 2010, 1:10 pm
Looking for better limits...

I've only put the H7 low-beam upgrade in the 2003 GT I have. Haven't observed any heat issue, but wasn't expecting one.

Thing is, though, HID's run cooler temperature-wise than the tungsten bulbs. So, if you're running 55w H7 tungsten/halogen bulbs currently, going HID won't be a problem heat-wise.

A concern could be using HID in place of tungsten for the light pattern produced. Some folks believe, right or wrong, that the reflector design is based on the light "pattern" produced from the lamp. One explanation I got recently was that tungsten produces a rectangular light pattern that the reflector is designed to aim properly as out the lense. HID produces a triangular light pattern. Pattern of light may be dispersed differently through the same lense. Also, filament positioning is taken into consideration for tungsten bulbs, as they can be longitudal or transverse (H3 is transverse, going across the length of the bulb, while H4 is longitudal). Might be an issue with the reflector design based on the shape of the light pattern just for tungsten bulbs as well.

I don't believe heat will be an issue, but there might be one with the light pattern sent down the road.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 2010, 5:51 pm
Veteran

Yup, I've had the low beam upgraded for a couple of years now and no issues with heat. But it still is only one 35 watt bulb. And the light pattern is just fine. It is absolutely the best upgrade that one can do on the bike IMO.

I also don't want to be the guinea pig that finds out that 2 55 watt bulbs are too much. I feel safe going with 2 35 watt bulbs heat and / or patter wise on the high beams but would sure like to know if any one has gone the 55 watt route on their high beams.

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 2010, 12:16 am
IBR# 366

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcoccia
Supposedly, a 55W kit would put out more light than a 35W kit, but I've never used one so I can't say for sure. I am intrigued, but was hoping that someone else would be the first guinea pig here . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 2010, 12:37 am
Veteran

So does that mean I need to order a 55 watt dual kit and just go for it? For 60 bucks I'm ALMOST willing to be the guinea pig. It's just the time and effort to put them in to NOT have them work would really suck.

So the question remains.....will the dual 55 watt ballasts work and not throw any faults and will the heat put off by the bulbs melt the housing? Some one out there must have tried this at some point. Any one?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode