BoosterPlug Question - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 2010, 12:01 pm Thread Starter
cwf
Noob

BoosterPlug Question

I have a 2006 K1200GT I purchased in May of last year so this is the first time I've ridden it in cold weather. I recently installed a "Boosterplug" and today (41 deg F) is the first day I've been able to ride since the install.

I bought the Boosterplug because (last summer in warm to hot weather) I was getting some MILD slow speed surge and an infrequent flat spot at 3K rpm. For example when riding on the freeway at 70mph and you craked the throttle it would bog down for a second before taking off....although it was an infrequent issue.

I must say I'm disappointed with the boosterplug at this point. I rode about 10 miles and the bike seems fine until I get up to 4 or 5K rpm but then doesn't seem to have good power under full throttle. It acts as if it's running rich...better power delivery if I only give it half throttle. Before the boosterplug....when I cracked the throttle it was all smiles.

I did disconnect the battery for about an hour during the install and after reassembly I reset the TPS by turning on the key and opening and closing the throttle three times.

Question to the group is - do I need to wait and ride it some more to let the ECU re-learn its fuel map before jumping to conclusions? I wish there was a way to install a switch so that I could take it out of the circuit without two hours of tupperware fondling.

Any advice (well constructive advice) is welcome and appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 2010, 7:13 pm Thread Starter
cwf
Noob

I may have answered my own question. After lettting the bike sit for a while I reset the TPS again and went for another 10 mile ride. Bike ran like I remembered. My theory is that the ECU had defaulted to rich and it had to relearn the conditions. Seems to run well now I can't wait to see if in warmer weather the bike has the low speed surge it used to have.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 2010, 10:21 pm
Enthusiast

Please update us after a few more rides. I'm interested in the boosterplug and am waiting to see how it pans out for those who have installed one. I currently have an FRK installed and the performance is superb except for the low rpm/low gear lean surging. This is what I am interested in getting rid of while keeping the excellent performance everywhere else.
Thanks!

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 2010, 5:50 pm Thread Starter
cwf
Noob

Now that I've ridden a few miles with the boosterplug I'm satisfied it works as advertised. No slow speed jerky throttle and no hesitation at all. Will need to wait until summer temps are here before pronouncing that the thing is great.

Rode for about 20 miles today with a friend who drives a Honda VFR800,,,,I'm about 80 pounds
heavier than he is and he could not keep up.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 2010, 9:13 pm
Rookie

I just installed my boosterplug a few days ago and I'm very happy with the results. No more flat spots or low speed surging. The bike runs like it should have from the factory now. We'll see how it works when the 90-100 + days with high humidity get here, but so far it's working great for me. (by the way I'm in southern Louisiana, so it'll be hot soon enough)

Michael
"How long am I going to be dead ?"
2007 K1200S

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode