power source - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 2010, 7:01 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Question power source

Just bought a K1200GT Se 2006 which was fitted with tomtom sat nav mount but is wired straight to the battery does anybody know a point to wire it to the ignition on/off (the aux socket on engine does not switch off with ignition staight away)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 2010, 10:24 pm
Enthusiast

Try tapping into the parking light (the little bulb in the headlight that is on with the ignition) or the tailight. Both of these are switched.

Jim
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 2010, 9:37 am
Veteran

There is a GPS harness hidden under the battery cover in the front, under a cross-rail. You will want to buy the corresponding connector, which gives you the wires you need. See this thread:

http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4648

There are photos, part numbers, and recommendations. Read the thread fully; some of the early posts about part numbers and the purpose of the blue/green wire are corrected and clarified later in the thread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 2010, 10:25 am

Just a thought...

I went the switched route back when I first started riding with a GPS. I've found that I prefer to have it wired direct for a bunch of reasons but the main one being that it never has to search for satellites after refueling or stopping for lunch which also gives me a more accurate total time and average daily MPH. This is assuming I'll be eating where I can keep an eye on the bike.

I'll admit that the newer GPS units do tend to find them a lot faster.

2009 K1300GT
My Photo Site
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 2010, 1:51 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMagnaRider
There is a GPS harness hidden under the battery cover in the front, under a cross-rail. You will want to buy the corresponding connector, which gives you the wires you need. See this thread:

http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4648

There are photos, part numbers, and recommendations. Read the thread fully; some of the early posts about part numbers and the purpose of the blue/green wire are corrected and clarified later in the thread.
Thanks a lot brilliant help will follow it up Martin
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 2010, 2:00 pm
Addict-oholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGShaffer
Just a thought...

I went the switched route back when I first started riding with a GPS. I've found that I prefer to have it wired direct for a bunch of reasons but the main one being that it never has to search for satellites after refueling or stopping for lunch which also gives me a more accurate total time and average daily MPH. This is assuming I'll be eating where I can keep an eye on the bike.

I'll admit that the newer GPS units do tend to find them a lot faster.
Whe I switch off the bike to refuel, eat etc, and want to keep the gps going, I make sure it goes into battery mode for the duration of my stop. I can also remove it from the bike for safety while eating or away from th bike. It automatically goes to bike power when the bike is turned on !

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 2010, 12:23 am
IBR# 366

Your best bet is to get an auxiliary fuse box, especially if you plan on adding anything else later (intercom, lights, heated gear, iPod, etc.) This would use a relay to trigger the fuse block, and everything attached to it.

How you want things to turn On/Off will specify where you tap into the bike at for the relay trigger wire. Here are your options:

On all the time - direct to battery.

On with the key and Off ~60 seconds after the key - use the Red/White wire from the GPS accessory plug, located up in front of the battery.

On with the key and Off with the key - use either the extra power socket on the left side of the bike, or the parking light up near the headlight (for which there is a plug & play harness available).

On when the engine starts (as opposed to when the key is turned on) and Off with the key - use the Low Beam light feed, although this does require splicing in to the existing wiring.

Most GPS units draw very little power, so you might still be able to wire it directly to one of the above options without any CanBus issues.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode