VIO POV camera - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 2010, 3:00 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

VIO POV camera

Hi,
I just bought a VIO POV camera that I want to mount on my GT. I want to permanently mount it on the bike and was thinking, or rather hoping, I could put the recorder in the "glove" box for easy access. However after receiving it I don't think it will fit. Has anyone permanently mounted a VIO POV to a GT? I you haven't but still have some idea on how to mount it please feel free to leave a comment.

Thanks,
GB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 2010, 4:00 pm
Veteran

This is my setup:

My home-fabbed mount as I run 2 VIO cams:

Front camera mount:

Rear camera mount:

The mount is something I cut up out of sheet metal and painted with some hammertone paint from the paint store. Velcro on bottom of the VIO recorder and top of mount. The large silicon suction cups hold pretty well (been over triple digits and it never wiggled!).

The front mount is all the VIO equipment including their C-clamp like thing which actually is pretty shake-free on the mirror stalk.

The rear bracket is some other piece of scrap metal and the VIO cam mount bolted to it under the rear tail rack. You may need their longer cable to reach the recorder for the rear cam. I coiled the excess under the seat.

I do use some external microphone wrapped in fuzzy fur on the right grab rail for sound as the VIO cam gets a lot of wind noise and doesn't sound as nice.

You may want to get some pre-moistened Nikon camera wipes to keep the damn bugs off the glass cover of the cams <damhik!>.

Mack
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 2010, 4:59 pm
Enthusiast

Nice mount Mack. How do you keep the bugs off the front lens.

Wayne

http://fergie.smugmug.com/

2006 K1200GT Blue
2008 F800ST Blue (Wifes)
2006 R1200RT (Traded)
2006 Kawasaki Ninja 500R (Traded)
1999 K1200LT (Sold)
1985 K100RT (Sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 2010, 5:36 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergie
... How do you keep the bugs off the front lens.
Not much you can do about bugs, other than try and aim between 'em.

Mack
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 2010, 5:57 pm
Veteran

Mack, what do you use them for primarily? Are you making movies for home use?

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 2010, 6:25 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_W
Mack, what do you use them for primarily? Are you making movies for home use?
Mostly for fun and sending to my relatives. Sometimes interesting "crap" happens on a ride too. I'm working on a setup to move them over to the S1000RR whenever I get it this spring. I'm thinking of fabbing some sort of permanent metal bracket under the mirror mount like used on some aux. lighting setups with a small quick-connect of some sort. Dunno yet.

They did come in handy when the bike began the stalling and high-idle nonsense in Nevada last year. No way could the dealer tell me "We couldn't make it stall" once they saw the video and heard it. They also forwarded it to BMW NA to verify the repairs which was cool too.

Mack
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 2010, 1:40 am Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMack
This is my setup:

My home-fabbed mount as I run 2 VIO cams:

Mack
Hi Mack,

Thanks for sharing. I have seen your setup from another thread and got the impression that you take it on and off as needed/wanted, but maybe I'm wrong? What I'm worried about is that it might be stolen if left on the bike in plain view and when I'm going on my 3 week vacation in Southern Europe this spring I don't want to have to dismantle the camera everyday, maybe even several times a day whenever I'm away from the bike. A friend of mine has a Triump Sprint ST and the recorder fits perfectly in the "glove" box which means he has easy access to it. Maybe I just have to get a Sprint ST... Nah, no way I'm switching from the GT. I'm on my third one...

GB

PS. Very cool that you have two!
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 2010, 8:41 am
Veteran

GB, I've got a Scorpio alarm on the bike with the proximity sensor and two-way fob. It alerts me if anyone gets within 3 feet of it. I've got a lot of stuff on the bars as well (radar detectors (2 of them!), GPS, XM radio, door opener, headphone amplifier, Sony Walkman MP3 player, and the VIO stuff. That (proximity) alarm came about due to someone thinking it would be funny to turn the bike upside down in the parking lot where I slept 20 feet from the bike at a motel awaiting service in the AM in Ventura, CA. So far so good with it, and I'm in a high crime area where vehicles routinely drive off by themselves in the mornings too.

The cams I have have the detachable heads, not their hardwired camera head model. I can leave the cables on the bike if I want, but it isn't a big deal to remove them off the mirror stalk with their C-clamp thing. Actually on the GT, they sort of fall into position when I remount them for some reason. The one under the rear rack is semi-permanent as it is harder to get to and also harder to see. It sticks back enough to keep the trunk out of the shot but still is pretty much clear of any foul weather too.

My setup moves over into the tankbag for the S1000RR easily. Not much room on that bike to mount anything so I will need to go to the tankbag for it. Probably stick with their C-clamps for the time being until I figure out where I want the cams semi-permanently attached. That VIO slide-mount works pretty good though and is small. They have a couple of fast-mounting Velcro rubber cradles too (one sets the camera parallel to the pipe it attaches to and the other is 90 degrees to that).

A couple of possibilities on the GT. You could carry the recorder in your jacket pocket. Another is to wrap it in a microfiber towel and shove it back into the tail-section of the GT to lock it down as it's pretty deep. I charge the batteries once a day (those Maha Powerxxxx 2800 Mah metal-hydride ones) and they will run all day and about 6 hours on HD mode and onto a 8 GB SD card. I carry 8 additional SD Sandisk Extreme cards (5 days total with the 2 in the camera) in a weatherproof flip-top container and rotate between them until I can burn them onto a DVD later.

Biggest thing for me is attacking the wind noise off the GT. Those inline mikes on the VIO's are sort of prone to tinny wind noise, and I' not to crazy about all the bike's loud tranny noises and engine stuff either off them. You may want to fab up some better microphone (I slip a long Shure microphone into a foam pipe insulating sleeve that has that fuzzy fur on the tip and points down towards the pipe. Seal the end where the cord goes in else you'll get wind noise into the foam tube too (That error took me a long time to run down and I ended up using a rubber cork with a slit for the mike's cord to seal it off). I just tie wrap it down on the left grab rail and it's out of the way.

Good luck.

Mack

Last edited by GMack; Feb 22nd, 2010 at 8:52 am.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 2010, 4:55 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMack
......and I'm in a high crime area where vehicles routinely drive off by themselves in the mornings too......

In the words of the immortal Sam Kinison.......MOVE!!! Or maybe wire some C4 to that proximity alarm.

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 2010, 1:05 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_W

In the words of the immortal Sam Kinison.......MOVE!!! Or maybe wire some C4 to that proximity alarm.
Good idea and wish I could. I'm stuck due to damn retirement union stuff. I find being a loudmouth and yelling occasionally gets rid of the riff-raff.

Add for the O.P....

Once you figure out your VIO stuff, you'll need an editor workstation too. I've got 5 laptops and one desktop. Once I bought some decent video editing software, they wanted at least a 3 GHz processor. I thought "Bull!" and I'll use my 1.8 GHz processor. Well, it crashed a lot (Windows XP Pro) and it would have taken around a week to edit and fix up some video I selected off the VIO's SD card.

I ended up with some NP9280 Sager which is a screamer for video editing. What took a week to compile on my old Dual-Core 1.8 Ghz laptop, takes maybe 2 hours on the Sager. The thing is made by Clevo as a D900F unit, but it runs 8 processors (Intel i7) at once and has 3 cooling fans under it (and it's a "very heavy" laptop too!). The speed is based around a i7 Intel 3.06 GHz bit is is one of the nicest laptops I've seen. It runs 2-3 hard drives too and 6-12 Gigs of DDR3-4 RAM. Cost is around $4,000 though. I hated to spend that much for a laptop, but it is really nice and fast over my other stuff for editing. My desktop cannot compete with it. They are located in the City of Industry in Los Angeles. Never heard of Sager before, but they are built by Clevo (Taiwan/Chinese) and they build a lot of lower-caliber laptops like Gateway, Lenovo (IBM), HP, Dell, etc. The Sager/Clevo is their upper end (far faster) stuff. It will burn and read Blu-Ray data disks too which is handy for the VIO cam's storage.

Mack

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode