Time For A Change.... - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 2010, 6:26 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Smile Time For A Change....

After only 4 years of ownership I find that it's time for me to make the leap from my 'new to me' 2003 GT that I've had since 2006, to a 2010 K1300GT. In the few short years that I've owned the Classic GT I've come to rediscover my love for motorcycling, putting on more than 60,000 miles in those 4 years.
Although I have had some trouble with the Classic, the grins have far outweighed the tears and I am looking forward to the miles I will be traveling.
I'll be picking up my first NEW BMW this weekend....

.....Mike
'10 K1300GT
Royal Blue Metallic
Garmin Zumo 660
Nolan N-103 w/ BT Kit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 2010, 9:26 pm
Noob

Mike, congrats on the new ride. I was torn between a "classic" GT and the "new" GT last December and had a great example of each lined up to consider. Well, I went for a 2007 K1200GT and couldn't be happier. It has 35K on it and was wonderfully set up and maintained by the PO. No long rides yet, but so far I am very impressed on all fronts.

Enjoy yours and ride safe!

Steve
Fernandina Beach, FL

2005 R1200GS
2003 HD Road King
2002 Ducati Monster 900ie
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 2010, 10:37 am Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSTwin
Mike, congrats on the new ride. I was torn between a "classic" GT and the "new" GT last December and had a great example of each lined up to consider. Well, I went for a 2007 K1200GT and couldn't be happier. It has 35K on it and was wonderfully set up and maintained by the PO. No long rides yet, but so far I am very impressed on all fronts.

Enjoy yours and ride safe!
I was really torn up over the trade in of my '03. In my opinion the '03 is a much more attractive looking bike than the '10. But the '03 had its issues almost every season I rode. I purchased the '03 with only 1,024 miles on the clock and she was fantastic through the first season. During the second season I traveled from New Hampshire with my daughter to Florida and back with only an oil change, and a new front tire. Although there was a strange dragging when I dis-engaged the clutch on occasion, which was an indicator that the clutch slave was failing - but I was clueless at that point. A few weeks after the Florida trip I had to plunk down some serious cabbage to have the clutch re-built.

Now with 60k miles on the clock I think its time for the next owner to take over. I just replaced the rear seals so they should be good, but it will need a new suspension and exhaust soon as well as some new rubber on the front tire. Without the shop time I would have averaged higher mileage for the year, so I did miss a good bit of riding time.

The '10 has better handling, suspension, engine, electronics, etc. So I am sure I will be happy as soon as I get over the whole switch gear change....

.....Mike
'10 K1300GT
Royal Blue Metallic
Garmin Zumo 660
Nolan N-103 w/ BT Kit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 2010, 11:49 am

Great choice awesome bike - you will love it - regarding the switch gear not a big deal.

After you use the bike for a few ridew it is no problem or issue.

The problem arises when you go back on a classic set up and then you encounter some muscle memory confusions

Enjoy your ride!

2009 KGT1300 Apple Red (mine)
2008 RT Biarritz Blue (mine - sold)
2005 ST Piedmont Red/Light Magnesium (hers)
Luis Roth
BMWMOA #143775 IBA# 35651
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 2010, 12:11 pm
Addict

Congrats on the change.
Yeah changing from the ol'Brick to the Slant will be have a great impact on your riding....all this new HP....WOW.....you'll love it.

Its a gerat bike for sport touring single or two up.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode