New 2010 GT Owner! - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 52 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 2010, 5:16 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

New 2010 GT Owner!

Signed the paperwork last weekend on my new GT and since there is still snow on the ground I asked the dealer to hold the bike until it clears up a little. I am really glad that I ended up with the faster BLUE bike as I have already heard the complaints about how slow the red ones are and we won't even talk about the other color

I do have the owners manual and the rest of the paperwork, but these German translations might as well be Greek to me. I'm pretty sure that the bike carries about 6.3 US Gallons of fuel, this would be including the roughly 1.1 US Gallons of reserve. So, after going through 5.2 US Gallons I should see an idiot light come on telling me to get fuel. At that time I have 1 gallon or so to get to a station. Is this interpretation correct?

The other interesting thing I see is that the manual suggest 98 RON fuel for optimum performance or you can use 95 RON fuel for reduced performance. Looks like that roughly equates to 93-94 octane fuel here in the US or 91 octane for reduced performance. I think that's right. My math is a little rusty and there seems to be some discussion on how exactly this gets calculated.

Service intervals seem to be similar to my '03 GT, every 6k miles for a basic and on the multiples of 12k you get a more involved service.

Most of the options on the new bike I had on the old with the exception of the ASC/BC/ESA.
The ASC seems to be to reduce tire spin primarily and has only two settings.
The ESA has three settings for 'weight', and then three setting for riding conditions such as comfort, sport and normal. You can only change the 'weight' setting when the bike is stopped and in NEUTRAL?
The BC (on-board computer), seems to cycle mainly through mileage, range types of information of which I think RANGE to empty is the best of the bunch. I think you get temperature as well.

Please let me know if any of my assumptions are wrong... Thanks!

.....Mike
'10 K1300GT
Royal Blue Metallic
Garmin Zumo 660
Nolan N-103 w/ BT Kit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 2010, 6:01 pm
Enthusiast

Congrats on your new bike. I have a 06 blue GT and blue is the fastest color.

Thing is I think the blue 06 is the fastest.

Enjoy your new ride.

Wayne

http://fergie.smugmug.com/

2006 K1200GT Blue
2008 F800ST Blue (Wifes)
2006 R1200RT (Traded)
2006 Kawasaki Ninja 500R (Traded)
1999 K1200LT (Sold)
1985 K100RT (Sold)
post #3 of 52 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 2010, 6:28 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

I'm sure they are all very fast, but I'm also sure that I'm not going to test my luck.... Be safe!

.....Mike
'10 K1300GT
Royal Blue Metallic
Garmin Zumo 660
Nolan N-103 w/ BT Kit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 52 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 2010, 6:43 pm
Veteran

The fastest color is not blue. Or red.

The bike will show the low fuel indicator seemingly at will. Best to keep tabs on the mileage on the trip meter and make sure you don't push too far past 200 miles until you are used to it. Of course on the next tank it might come on at a different mileage anyways. It's one of those character flaws the Germans find endearing.

I'll simplify the fuel octane for you: USE PREMIUM. Without the alcohol in it if at all possible.

Gilly

"No problem is so big or so complicated that it can't be run away from"

Dark Graphite: Making bikes faster for over 40 years.
post #5 of 52 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 2010, 6:49 pm

Congrats on your new bike, but if you want it to be the fastest, you will have to paint it black!!

2007 K1200GT Jet Black

post #6 of 52 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 2010, 7:15 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlajoie
Signed the paperwork last weekend on my new GT and since there is still snow on the ground I asked the dealer to hold the bike until it clears up a little. I am really glad that I ended up with the faster BLUE bike as I have already heard the complaints about how slow the red ones are and we won't even talk about the other color

I do have the owners manual and the rest of the paperwork, but these German translations might as well be Greek to me. I'm pretty sure that the bike carries about 6.3 US Gallons of fuel, this would be including the roughly 1.1 US Gallons of reserve. So, after going through 5.2 US Gallons I should see an idiot light come on telling me to get fuel. At that time I have 1 gallon or so to get to a station. Is this interpretation correct?

The other interesting thing I see is that the manual suggest 98 RON fuel for optimum performance or you can use 95 RON fuel for reduced performance. Looks like that roughly equates to 93-94 octane fuel here in the US or 91 octane for reduced performance. I think that's right. My math is a little rusty and there seems to be some discussion on how exactly this gets calculated.

Service intervals seem to be similar to my '03 GT, every 6k miles for a basic and on the multiples of 12k you get a more involved service.

Most of the options on the new bike I had on the old with the exception of the ASC/BC/ESA.
The ASC seems to be to reduce tire spin primarily and has only two settings.
The ESA has three settings for 'weight', and then three setting for riding conditions such as comfort, sport and normal. You can only change the 'weight' setting when the bike is stopped and in NEUTRAL?
The BC (on-board computer), seems to cycle mainly through mileage, range types of information of which I think RANGE to empty is the best of the bunch. I think you get temperature as well.

Please let me know if any of my assumptions are wrong... Thanks!

Congrats on the new GT, did you buy it from Max? If you did why not ask them to deliver it, you may not ride it until the snow is gone, but you can begin the farkling, and get familiar with your new steed. By the way your assumptions are pretty close.

MOA Member #106320
2003 R1150RT Titan Silver
2008 K1200GT Dark Graphite
post #7 of 52 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 2010, 7:43 pm
Addict-oholic

+1 Get Max to deliver it......

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
post #8 of 52 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 2010, 12:28 am
Noob

1300gt

Red is faster. I know so???
post #9 of 52 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 2010, 3:51 am
Veteran

You're a coupla newbies, so I'll fill you in.
There is one color which is a bit faster than the rest............

"No problem is so big or so complicated that it can't be run away from"

Dark Graphite: Making bikes faster for over 40 years.
post #10 of 52 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 2010, 6:45 am
Rookie

Congrats on new bike
Now let the farkelizing begin

09 K1300GT
06 K1200R (sold)
05 R1200GS (sold)
99 K1200LT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode