2007 K1200GT headlight adjustment - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 2010, 4:56 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

2007 K1200GT headlight adjustment

Installed new aftermarket HID and would like to adjust the headlight but the only thing that the owners manual mentions is a lever to flip if your bike is too heavily loaded to allow a well adjusted light pattern. For some reason my bike doesn't have this lever. Only a plastic hex shaped knob with a phillips head fitting in the center. It is extremely hard to turn and doesn't seem to do much... Is this knob supposed to be an adjuster and does everyone else have that lever that I don't have???

Gary
2007 K1200GT
Dark Graphite Grey
New Jersey-Don't Laugh!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 2010, 5:52 pm
Veteran

In this picture, which is from the top looking down, you can see the white lever.

It's just to the right of the 2 black wires coming from the headlight bulb.
If you bought the bike used, maybe it has somehow been repaired? The lever should be there on all of them. Is you headlight aimed too low after the xenon installation too?
Gilly

"No problem is so big or so complicated that it can't be run away from"

Dark Graphite: Making bikes faster for over 40 years.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 2010, 6:37 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Gil, I can't see the picture you supplied on your reply but yes the HID is a bit too high after intallation. I did buy the bike used but it appears that the white lever was supposed to be located around the hex head plastic bolt that I mentiond in the initial request for info. Any idea what the hex head plastic bolt is for? Don't know what happened to the white colored lever. My headlight was positioned correctly with the halogen bulb...

Gary
2007 K1200GT
Dark Graphite Grey
New Jersey-Don't Laugh!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 2010, 7:09 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Red face

Gil, After rechecking the manual I did find I was looking at the the wrong hex head adjuster. I didn't know there was a second one... I was turning the one to the right of the low beam housing. Apparently that one is to adjust left to right. The up/down adjustment is to the lower left of the low beam housing when sitting on the bike. When I throw the white lever to the right, the beam lowers. I think that puts the adjuster in a position where you can then turn the hex head plastic bolt. I haven't tried it yet but I believe it to be so... OK just got back from the garage... Turning the hex head clockwise lowers the beam and CCW raises it. The owner's manual is worthless reguarding the adjustment. It only mentions flipping the white lever-nothing about turning the hex head...

Gary
2007 K1200GT
Dark Graphite Grey
New Jersey-Don't Laugh!

Last edited by rebeltown; Mar 9th, 2010 at 7:19 pm.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 2010, 9:47 pm
Looking for better limits...

GillyWI is referring to an attachment that's on the MOA forum. Attachments don't translate well over the internets.

The lever is all the Fatherland figures you need to know about. The hex knob is to fine-adjust the headlamp height, and since very few owners have the headlamp measurement tools to properly set the headlamp height, there's no need to provide instructions.

In all likelyhood, that other knob without the lever is the left-right adjustment. Same instruction-set as listed above.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 2010, 4:05 am
Veteran

The pic was there, don't know why you can't see it, but sounds like you have it under control now anyways. Yes, it's dumb, you need to flip the lever, turn the knob, then flip the lever back and recheck to see where it is, kind of inconvenient.
Gilly

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 2010, 3:11 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Aside from BMW's lack of mentioning a second adjustment knob for right and left adjustment, I just noticed the one knob during my installation of the HID bulb and naturally assumed that was the one they were talking about... Didn't pay much attention to the picture in the manual when I read the steps for the adjustment (my bad). Best way to get to that adjuster for the vertical alignment is from below. Reach in under and behind the oil cooler and it is much easier to get at than from reaching in behind the steering head. Use a 13mm socket by itself and it is real easy to turn... "Live and Learn".

Gary
2007 K1200GT
Dark Graphite Grey
New Jersey-Don't Laugh!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 2010, 6:23 pm
Looking for better limits...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GillyWI
The pic was there, don't know why you can't see it, but sounds like you have it under control now anyways. Yes, it's dumb, you need to flip the lever, turn the knob, then flip the lever back and recheck to see where it is, kind of inconvenient.
Gilly
If you're logged into the MOA site at the same time, you'll see the pic. The rest of us need to be logged in to see it (if we have a login id).

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 2010, 7:15 pm
Veteran

Will it work if I just post the URL??
http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/attachme...1&d=1255204920

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 2010, 9:13 pm
IBR# 366

Quote:
Originally Posted by GillyWI
Will it work if I just post the URL??
No, you still need to be logged in to see it. You'd have to copy the pic off the MOA site and post it somewhere else, like the Gallery on this site.

Was it just a copy of a pic from the GT's manual, or was it a pic that someone actually took of their own bike?

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in